Epic Tour of Central Idaho

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a matter of how much comfort you require.  DR650 and KLR are widely used for world travel.  The bikes will go all day on a paved road.  I can ride it 300 miles in a day.  More than that becomes tiring.  I have mine set up with a Russell Day Long saddle and a Madstad windscreen.  Think of it this way.  If you have the time the DR will get you there no problem but it 500 mile days are necessary look elsewhere.

While a KLR is better on the highway it too is not designed for high mile days at speeds beyond 70mph.

Now that we've nearly hijacked this post... would a 650 be good on a multi-day highway ride to get to these roads?
My only concern with a 650 is that it would be revved high on freeways to get out there.
Jim is right. Get a Super Tenere (did I mention that??) 85 plus all day long to get you out of Nebraska and will run all the roads we did. Perhaps not quite the same pace but it will do it  no problemo with the right tires.

Robert and I hauled pour 650's on a trailer 611 miles in one day to get to the starting point to be able to ride with Fontanman on his DR650. NO way riding there (between time and tires) makes any sense on any 650. 

However a Tenere does.  JSNS

WOW I just found this ride report! Great job all! Great photos too! I avoid gravel on the FJR if I can. I need to get my old XR500 going and do some of these rides.