Ergonomic mods for Gen1 - Please advise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTitan

Reaction score
'05 is ready to roll ... CCT upgraded, PAIR removed, plugs and fluids changed ... heat management mods done and relay for 12V accessories installed.

My other bike is an RT (fat girls can dance) but the FJR is destined to be my primary ride ... power is intoxicating. I'm 5'8" and the last two issues I'm dealing with for this fabulous machine, are ergonomics:

BAR-BACKS - How far can I go? The bike came with 2 sets stacked on top of each other. The clutch/brake/throttle cables are all a little tight at full turn but don't appear to be unsafe. Looks a bit dodgy to me but I could actually use another inch up and back.

What is the MOST radical change to handle bar positioning that you know of???

WIND MANAGEMENT - Bike came with a standard shield, touring shield, and a Cee-Bailey +2. None really supply the optimum quiet cockpit with unobstructed view that I have on the RT. While I prefer secondary roads, I have riding buddies in Chicago, DC and Colorado so I with hit the super-slab with gusto to hook up with them. I read about things like changing the angle of the screen and adding spoilers ...

What is the BEST solution you have found for air-flow management ??

Thanks in advance ... love the forum and I value your advice

David Hunt

ATL

No mention of a Russell Day Long seat. That might be mandatory in your case. Anyway, if you learn to sit right, you can leave the bars where they are. You might try adding a Laminar Lip to the Cee Bailey.

DSC_4456b.jpg

yea you're like the ideal height for the FJR. I feel too tall for it but still like it. Get a seat mod so you can sit closer. Expensive but you'll enjoy it every ride. It will most likely never be quiet like your RT. You might find a short shield works best for you at your height to keep the wind below helmet level.

If you want a sheild to hide behind, get a v stream. I have found that a cal-sci tinted shorty is my best friend. I had a custom seat done lowering 1 inch from stock. Works well with one set of risers.

Check out the Baker Built Wind Wings that a lot of guys have installed. It's one of the things I've thought about a lot and still have never done, but the idea is great. They deflect cool air toward you or away from you as the season requires. They offer two types, either mounted low to keep your legs from roasting or freezing, or higher, up by the mirrors. Maybe somebody can chime in or post a link to a thread about them. I couldn't find one with a real cursory search, but they have been reviewed on this forum many times.

Ditto on the V-Stream for wind protection if that's what you want. It's pretty huge, and way too much in hot weather, IMO. Too many other options, and lots of personal preference--there's no one best windscreen, though I like my CalSci (California Scientific) large.

If you want a sheild to hide behind, get a v stream. I have found that a cal-sci tinted shorty is my best friend. I had a custom seat done lowering 1 inch from stock. Works well with one set of risers.
I am 5'11". A Cal-Sci tinted shorty created a lot of turbulence on top of my helmet. Like a couple of guys with tiny hammers annoyingly knocking away at speeds greater than 60 mph. I solved that issue by adding a tinted Laminar lip to the CalSci tinted shorty. I have a rifle tuning block permanently attached (as in I never take it out), no matter which windshield I am using. Which lately, no matter which season is the shorty with laminar lip.

Rifle tuning block may not work with your Cee Bailey - it brings the windshield back a bit too much. It will work perfectly with your stock and touring windshields.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 5'11". A Cal-Sci tinted shorty created a lot of turbulence on top of my helmet. Like a couple of guys with tiny hammers annoyingly knocking away at speeds greater than 60 mph. I solved that issue by adding a tinted Laminar lip to the CalSci tinted shorty. I have a rifle tuning block permanently attached (as in I never take it out), no matter which windshield I am using. Which lately, no matter which season is the shorty with laminar lip.

Rifle tuning block may not work with your Cee Bailey - it brings the windshield back a bit too much. It will work perfectly with your stock and touring windshields.
Sounds like we have pretty much the same setup. I've got the (Skyway, whose is defunct) spacers that angle the shield back about 15% as well. Been thinking about the laminar lip as well.

I have four shields and my favorite for decent weather is the stock 03 shield with a Laminar lip. I made my own tuning block.

Latest posts