Error Code 19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaismo

Reaction score
So ran down to COTA yesterday and 450 miles I parked "Abby" in the garage after a good days ride. Came out later to move the bike and saw the 19 code on the dash. Turned over and didn't start. Took key out wondering what the heck and then put key back in and the dash returned to normal and she fired right up. I understand the code 19 issue, so I cleaned and inspected the kickstand and except for some grunge, everything look normal since I have less than 6,000 miles on her. I guess I will find out if I have any bigger problems tomorrow since I have 500 miles scheduled.

Side-stand switch is a sealed unit that doesn't go bad very often. More likely the second set of contacts in the ignition switch did not make good contact. That is the side-stand switch's path for the enable to the starting circuit cut-off relay. Be sure that you turn the key switch fully (and decisively) to the run position.

These are the same contacts that generate the check engine fault on the 2016 models.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's something to do with the side stand switch or the wiring from it to the ECU.
Maybe the actual switch, been cases of it being clogged with debris, uncommon but has happened.

You can run a error code check via the dash and perform a diagnostic 20.
Quite easy to check.

Had this issue a year or so back with a recurring Code 19. It was the ignition switch. Changed it out and it went away. Be prepared to pull the top triple clamp and drill out the security bolts.

Just read my post or you re wasting your time if you don't, takes 5 minutes.

Better still, go and buy a manual or search this Forum, it's discussed many many times before on so many threads !!

I really can not understand why people farkle their bike out with everything and just too stingy and haggle over the price of a Yamaha FSM ???

I'm sorry Ken, but in this case I think you are off base. Normally you are spot on, but this particular issue is not easily determined by looking at the FSM, because that fault description is a little overly simplistic.

The way that the ECU senses a fault is only from those signals it can see, and one signal that it has no clue about is the actual kickstand position. It has unfortuncately been thus for a long time and the error in the manual's troubleshooting has been in there all that time.

The ECU sense for the kickstand switch ground is through the diode logic of the relay assembly that inhibits the starter and Fuel injection. It is a long standing problem that the manual will tell you your problem is the kickstand switch but it is actually something else between that switch and the ECU, the most notorious of those being the key switch secondary contacts.

It has gone along so far that the newer OBD2 bikes (from 2016 on) are registering faults and setting the Check Engine light because of incomplete contact of these secondary ignition switch contacts, and the error still reports it is due to multiple side stand switch operations.

I'd still be looking at the ignition switch first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fred,

I'll be pulling out of the this after this, and my Laptop has serious problems, like the keyboard.sys is corrupt ??

Can not type on it easily !!! I may post off about it along with some pics, you will scratch your head, but see what I mean and laugh.

Sorry, back on topic.

The OP has a 2015, with 24 + posts (experience, lack of knowledge).

The newer generations mean nothing to me, except the check light and no on board diagnostics. lol.

If there is a error code, it's stored on the dash chip via the ECU.

If there is a ECU error code detected, it will be the usual dash diagnostics and stored in memory, 60 / 61 etc etc.

From there its the usual fault finding as well a reading Chapter 1 of the FSM.

Some of the FSM's crook information has carried over to all the other generations, lol lol.

It is very handy to read up on the safety interlocks on all the FSM's, the 2002 has great descriptions of the bike than others, esp mapping and the FI and ABS, a great resource. ( the 2001's are useless to me) as well as the engine check light, as it varies from gen to gen.

I must admit the ignition switch may cause it, but every post I've seen, been rather rare, real rare, and I would start off simple with a five minute diagnostic, instead of rushing out and buying a ignition switch, remember here we have the Master key system $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

That's why I posted simple, and didn’t say you need a new ECU, lol.

Cheers mate.

PS fixed up such a fault recently on a auto clutch, a AS here.

Really weird interlocks.

Rode 600 miles and has not reoccurred as of today. I thinking Fred might be correct in regard to the key issue. Thanks again.

One indication to me that the Code 19 was ignition switch related was that I could cycle the ignition off an on (sometimes it took several tries) and the code would clear and I could start the bike.