FUN! Electrical

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a.droid

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
06 AE w 65K miles
I searched the forum and while I saw a few topics about electrical problems, I need help faster than I have time to process data.

Headlights both went out, Hazard and High beam indicater lights on dash are stuck ON and the windshield won't go up or down. Am I looking at a relay problem or a ground spider issue. No error codes...TIA

Headlights both went out, Hazard and High beam indicater lights on dash are stuck ON and the windshield won't go up or down. Am I looking at a relay problem or a ground spider issue. No error codes...TIA
Yikes! Kinda low miles, but I smell what I had to me on my 160K '05....and know one other forum member on a I believe a 75K '04 that had something very similar. I really hope I'm wrong and it's just a spider bite.

I was headed to a rally and windshield wouldn't work. No biggie. Sort it when I get home after knocking out a couple thousand miles.

Then in the rally my side indicators and turn signals failed. That's weird. At least the bike still runs. I'll sort it when I get home.

A thousand miles later I finished and headed home I popped the headlights entirely. Crap! I hard wired one filament to the battery and made it home without losing anything else.

I got home and figured out pretty quickly my wiring harness rubbed through on the upper left of the valve cover. I pulled up the tank, pushed on a section of the harness, and a bunch more sparks. Crap. Either new loom time or a lot of soldering. I still have the bike, but haven't fixed it yet.

If you're wondering if it's the same thing, I think the Gen 2 wiring harness is still routed the same and they didn't change maybe until Gen 3. Jack that tank up and look really carefully at this area I've circled in the image below. If you Gen 2 has a T-bar, you'll need to pull it off..and then look at the harness on that upper left of the valve cover. For me it's a 10 minute job having wrenched the FJR a fair amount farkling, but if you got tools & wrenched a bit and not done it before...maybe a half-hour the first time.

I hope, for you, it's not that. Really, truly. It is resolvable, but a PITA to do it truly right by swapping out the wiring harness. Good luck!

1692599609228.png

And if the post I made gives you a sinking feeling it might the same....send me a PM....I'll let you know who the other forum member is. I'm gonna link him over here to look and thinks I'm nuts....or right on. ;)

An early Gen II with those symptoms it seems very likely to be a ground "spider". Has the S4 recall been done?
There is at least one other on the left side (S6) that fails on some bikes. others are less likely.
Quite fixable, if wire damage isn't too severe...

06 AE w 65K miles
I searched the forum and while I saw a few topics about electrical problems, I need help faster than I have time to process data.

Google Yamaha recall site enter your vin# and see if your ignition switch and the #4 ground connector recall mod was done. The next connector down stream is #6 under the glove box. Do a search here for Spider Bite . These ground connectors have distribution clips that looks like spider feet. Add a second ground to it like the recall did #4 .

Thanks all. I'll DC the battery till I get a few hours this weekend. My hunch was leaning towards a ground spider issue. Will report back w the extent of damage. 🤞🙏 I've got a 2 week ride planned in...oh 25 days
it's fine

Google Yamaha recall site enter your vin# and see if your ignition switch and the #4 ground connector recall mod was done. The next connector down stream is #6 under the glove box. Do a search here for Spider Bite . These ground connectors have distribution clips that looks like spider feet. Add a second ground to it like the recall did #4 .
Thank you so much for the recall info!
No, that wire harness recall has not been done. I'll be taking it in this week

Thank you so much for the recall info!
No, that wire harness recall has not been done. I'll be taking it in this week
Unfortunately, the damage has been done. While I believe they should have to help you out, it seems unlikely that parts are on hand or readily available. I doubt they will do a cut and solder repair - the original recall required complete harness replacement if there was damage due to the S4 ground getting cooked. (IIRC) Recall only for that one connector and if it is a different one, the repair cost is on you.

Good luck! Let us know what they say.