No tacho or speedo sweep..and no starter!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YummYam

Reaction score
Hi All,

A similar issue as Les Burny has in the UK, except we were riding along around 50mph thankfully in a super quiet area, when engine just died.

All lights, horn, windshield etc working but no dash readout or starter operation. Have had a couple of spider issues the past and I thought I'd covered all possible issues by opening, cleaning and greasing etc ALL accessible spiders and connectors.

Whatever is causing this also causes the front right hand turn indicator bulb to flash rapidly, usually because the rear bulb has died.

I had changed the front bulb recently because of this, which looked fine and the new bulb behaved as required.

So, remembering this bulb episode while dead at the roadside and out of desperation, gave the indicator a firm slap of the right hand and......dash readout came back up and engine started with no more problems for the next eighty odd miles and home!

Now struggling to search here for, and remember, any likely suspects in that area behind the rh front turn indicator that would disable dash readout, starter and possibly ignition.

Will appreciate greatly any suggestions and/or pics before tearing into it.

TIA, Steve

If in doubt, go back to the last thing you fucked with! I am betting there is a simple short/grounding issue in the indicator lamp socket/wiring. Also look for a non-spider ground issue in one of the other connectors on the left side. Weird lighting and other spider-like symptoms but no engine failure for me.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158418-itsy-bitsy-spider/?hl

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chaps.

I see in the FSM that there is a link of some sort between the RF turn signal and the starting circuit cut off relay.

Need to find some time this w end and take a look. Will report any findings as soon as.

So managed to tear into her but as reported elsewhere, despite taking side panel plastic off, opening and inspecting all connectors in the vicinity of the RHF indicator lens, couldn't replicate or find a reason for the engine dying, no dash display and no starter operation, all of which was apparently cured by slapping said lens.

With heart in mouth, reached into the nose cone and pulled the rubber mounted relay out into the daylight. Pulled connector off but could only see the grease put in there last time around. No sign of corrosion or overheating.

Even managed, with my banana fingers, to get the relay located back on its mount.

So none the wiser as to the cause of engine etc dying, buttoned everything back up until the next time!

Sometimes, corrosion in a socket for a signal lamp can do some strange stuff. Especially where there are two separate circuits - signal and running light.

Thought it worth mentioning that while opening up couplers behind the RF turn signal, decided to unwrap the black tape from the two diodes, if that’s what they are, that reside there also.

Didn’t do that last time and have no idea what they do on the bike, but noticed some tarnishing on the connecting blades, so cleaned them up, dosed with ACF 50 and rewrapped with tape. What’s that supposed to do, seal them up?