exhaust drone at low RPM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanahanman

Reaction score
I had a chance to go out for a day and try the 2006 in a variety of driving conditions.

On the highway and above 4000 rpm, very quiet.

However, if I am tooling along on side roads at 70 kmH, I have to keep it in 2nd gear and above , at least, 3500 rpm to eliminate a fairly substantial 150 htz drone.

This has a stock exhaust and I'm wondering if anyone else hears this.

I do a fair amount of relaxed, side road riding and the noise is very uncomfortable.

Keeping the bike reving at 4000 for slow tooling around seems a bit much and requires keen throttle control.

It's pretty much a deal breaker for me as it just adds to a few other factors about the bike that has me considering selling.

Put some earplugs in. Find some curves so you can vary the throttle. After market exhasut maybe - then again it may make it worsde if your ears are that sensitive

I love the sound of that motor myself and really do not like the wind noise above 50 because I can not hear it very well. I guess everyone is different. I doubt you will be able to quiet it down much more than stock. Maybe it is time for it to go.

If it has the OEM exhaust, I would check to make sure the gaskets are present (and in good shape). Excessive exhaust noise (at any RPM) is not a common complaint. Failing that, I might check the header pipes at the engine. Also torque engine mounting bolts (in the correct order) to reduce engine vibration in case there is an issue there.

I have an 2006 as well, stock exhaust, love the sound of the motor. Unless I'm really standing on it I rarely ever here the exhaust. Even in a tunnel. You may have better hearing. Or maybe all those years of riding two-strokes has had an effect on my ears. Don't sell it. Check for helmet fit and consider ear plugs or an ipod. Hang in there.

If it has the OEM exhaust, I would check to make sure the gaskets are present (and in good shape). Excessive exhaust noise (at any RPM) is not a common complaint. Failing that, I might check the header pipes at the engine. Also torque engine mounting bolts (in the correct order) to reduce engine vibration in case there is an issue there.
Yeah, I'd guess you've hit the resonant frequency of something that's loose on the bike. Good luck. It could be tough to find. But, keep in mind that the FJR engine isn't particularly happy with extended running at low rpm. It isn't a sport bike but it isn't a tractor either.

I assume it's a stock bike and nobody has fiddled with the air cleaner or the exhaust. Any chance those "stock" exhausts have been TROOPER MODDED? Below is a picture of the business end of my original exhaust that used to be on my FJR. You can see the area where the center pipe was cut loose from the rest of the can using a 1 1/2 inch hole saw. Don't suppose your exhausts look like that?

IMG_0235.jpg

Have you heard or been around another FJR? The dealer could listen to it for ya to confirm that what you're hearing is normal. For what it's worth, how well does your helmet seal out noise?

You oughta hear the "drone" out of my Staintunes. It's incredible and I just love it. But if you find that the sound of the the stock FJR is irritating, perhaps it's not the right bike for you? If you did indeed decide to sell it, this is certainly the time of the year to do so.

Good luck.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll check the manifold and exhaust gaskets and air filter. It's not a loose part on the bike, I know that kind of noise. It's not just engine noise either. I kinda like the sound of this engine
smile.png

It sounds like what I would expect from after market mufflers. That's why I wanted one with stock exhaust.

Using a properly fitted Schuberth c3 and while I generally do use ear plugs, I have not needed them when just pootling around the side roads even on my 650 twin with race exhaust.

It's actually louder and more invasive at tooling speed than the wind noise at 120+ kmH.

I must admit, at high speed, the noise levels are lower than any bike I have used and I'm very happy with that result!

When I am running fast in clean air, it's VERY quiet and no buffeting. Love it!

It's the low speed drone below 4000 RPM that's killing me.

Just did a quick run on my '99 ST1100 and it's smooth, quiet and handles about the same for my use.

Better throttle control, lighter clutch action and quiet.

In the end, failing finding any mechanical problems, it just may not be the bike for me and I'm good with that.

Mine is way too quiet and I did the trooper mod. Ear plugs are a must, so if you aren't wearing them.........

I had a chance to go out for a day and try the 2006 in a variety of driving conditions.On the highway and above 4000 rpm, very quiet.

However, if I am tooling along on side roads at 70 kmH, I have to keep it in 2nd gear and above , at least, 3500 rpm to eliminate a fairly substantial 150 htz drone.

This has a stock exhaust and I'm wondering if anyone else hears this.

I do a fair amount of relaxed, side road riding and the noise is very uncomfortable.

Keeping the bike reving at 4000 for slow tooling around seems a bit much and requires keen throttle control.

It's pretty much a deal breaker for me as it just adds to a few other factors about the bike that has me considering selling.
I own a 2006. I did the Trooper Exhaust Mod and added Garauld's tail cone's. I can hear the exhaust a little at very low speeds, and under hard acceleration, otherwise I don't hear it. But, I live and ride in the west where I ride at mostly highway speeds, and I use noise canceling ear plugs that deliver music and navigation prompts via my Garmin Zumo 550. Anyway, I've never heard a "drone".

Have you searched the forum for similar complaints?? Not sure I've ever heard one such as this. I've heard concerns about vibration around 4k rpm, but not noise.

Good luck!!

With stock exhaust you shouldn't be hearing anything other than the FJR turbine wind-up. I'd be looking closely at the pipes and make sure no one has hacked them up. Find someone close to you with guaranteed stock exhaust and compare.

Don't throw the baby out yet...something's up with yours.

--G

... I have to keep it in 2nd gear and above , at least, 3500 rpm to eliminate a fairly substantial 150 htz drone.
Different helmets resonate with exhaust pipes at different frequencies. The helmet can act like a resonant chamber and is why you are complaining. In fact, helmets can actually amplify the exhaust drone you are talking about! The only way I've ever found to deal with this problem is with a set of good quality ear plugs.

I will try my other helmet to make sure it's not the problem.

I do wear earplugs to abate wind noise on the highway but hat's not where the problem is manifested.

Around town at slow speed is when the engine is usually in the sub 4000 RPM range and the drone is loudest.

Wearing earplugs doesn't explain the source of the noise and doesn't solve any problem that may exist.

I need to hear another 2006 to compare.

Thanks all for your input.

After about year two with the 06 my exhaust sound had a slight increase in sound but to only a minor difference and only heard on acceleration. I'm still running the stock cans and love the sound it gives. I have no noticeable increase below 4000 rpms and the bike when on open roads is usually in this range.

But after years of riding Harley's the sound on the feejay is one reason I bought it to get away from all the noise. I love this bike and have no plans to get rid of this great platform, no matter what! I hope you find the answer to your question and could be a mechanical issue as others have mentioned. I know if I don't wear ear protection the air noise and bike noise around town or not is not pleasing to me. And I'm sure my full face helmet is one reason why. And not wearing ear protection will make one tired as well. PM.

Looks like I was mistaken about the "stock" exhaust.

I watched a detailed video of the Trouper modification and went back to my bike with a flashlight and coat hanger wire.

There is no obstruction as I would think there should be and I can see all the way down to where the pipe curves down.

Tried to get a pic but nearly impossible.

If part of the baffle is missing, then I can see exactly why my exhaust has the drone.

Well if you lived in Atlanta I would give you my set of 0 miles stock pipes for next to nothing. I have heard quite a few different aftermarket pipes and most sound sweet on the FJR. You may want to go that route or simply look for a nice set of unmolested stock pipes on Craigslist. Should be an easy fix!