F150 Engine recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably going to replace my ‘05 5.4 FX4 supercrew towards the end of this year. It only has 87k miles, but since it gets used in NW Ohio and sits outside all the time the body and frame rust is winning. The rear cab corners are gone, to the point that the birds are always building nests in them. It doesn’t help that it rarely gets used. I love my truck, but I’ll always take one of the bikes if able. My better half and I are getting to the age where a travel trailer is sounding pretty good, so a new, reliable, strong truck is probably going to be its replacement. It’s going to take me the rest of the year to rationalize the price they want for these things now.

My '03 Silverado is still in great shape with only 153K on the clock. I'm planning to replace it at the end of next year, as 17 years is old enough and I'm going to need 4wd when we move to the mountains anyway. I really like the current Silverado/Sierra line, but I understand they will be all new for next year. It seems the V8 will have all new technology that can disable up to 7 cylinders at once. I prefer not to buy a vehicle in its first year of the run, opting instead to let others be the guinea pigs.

So now I'm looking closer at the Ford F-150.

The other option is to buy exactly what you want used. An off lease two or three year old will only have around 20-30k miles on it, barely broken in for a truck. There isn’t a whole lot involved in breaking in modern engines and with an automatic transmission there isn’t much chance of major abuse.

Let some other sap pay the initial depreciation.

I absolutely love my '07 Tundra with the 5.7 Mileage sucks to be sure. Lucky to get 16-18 freeway (almost always 16 in town) However, with 100k on the clock, and I aint touched the motor other than oil changes and a new air filter, when I put my foot down, she moves.

Tundra also has a great payload and towing capacity for a 1/2 ton. Cant beat the Asian design reliability, and it actually is assembled in the US (Texas) though the profits go to Aichi.

When looking to buy a used pickup truck, it pays to wait for a rise in gas prices. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 3.5L eco boost V6 in my 2014 SCab. I love that engine. It has all the grunt you will ever need, actually has the equivalent tow rating of the largest V8, but I can get 21 - 22 mpg if I baby it, which is hard to do when it’s so much fun to mash the go pedal.
I specifically sought out a used 2014 because it was the last year of the steel bodies. There is really nothing that I don’t like about that truck.
I have a 2014 FX4 4x4 crew ecoboost. It has been an extremely reliable truck, but the posted mileage is not what you get IRL. The engine does have all the snort and get up and go anyone could ever want, but it's not a fuel saver. Ford was counting on the weird transmission gearing to pick up the slack on the average mileage numbers, but if you are like me (read as have a heavy foot) you won't see it. I don't regret the purchase at all, and would choose ecoboost again without hesitation

That said, I wouldn't tow close to its claimed capacity with it. We know two close friends with similar units, one who had our exact truck, who did tow RV's and had very bad experiences. What Ford claims with the ecoboost does not seem to translate to real world experience.

My ecoboost is my daily driver, and it excels for what I need. I am in it daily, moving parts pieces etc for our logging company

If you are going to tow anything with a significant amount of weight then you need to step up to the F250 or F350. Gas won't be a concern either because it will suck mpg wise with either. I can tell you the Triton V8 might be one of the worst motors ever put in a truck. Ask me how I know. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the one with the newer old school motor they are selling now though. A new truck isn't in my future for a while and I will have to live with the one I have for a while.

F350 with the Triton POS,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll definitely consider a leftover or gently used '18 next year. I surely get the "let someone else eat the depreciation" angle. But selfishly, I will prefer and want a brand new truck. I'm a car guy - always have been. But moreover, I'm a cheap bastard. My wife and I keep our vehicles until they are done. They are not an investment, after all. By the end of next year, I will have kept my current truck for 17 years. I love the truck - it's not a problem keeping it. But when I replace, I want to get a brand new vehicle that I can care for from day 1. We pay a lot for that new interior smell.