Face shield fog reduction

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought having a defroster like a car would work great,

So I hooked up a hose from one exhaust pipe and routed it up into my helmet.

I don't remember if it worked.

Pinlock is working great, use it since 2 years now, even at 30 and below, when stop at a redlight no fog at all.
Great, I don't mind spend $65 but I'd like it to be on something that works!!! I've others say good things about them.

OK--it's just hours from Friday so... :p

How 'bout a running a small tube straight from the exhaust into the front of the helmet? Free heated air!

Kidding aside, the solution as I see it would be a combination of anti-fog coating with a small fan that blows a little heated air incorporated right into a helmet. Have a built-in battery and plug in to charge it. Couldn't weigh much.

You can almost get the same thing in a set of goggles...

https://www.smithoptics.com/Phenom-Turbo_10_945.html?fl=flase

I leave my Respro in year-round, as it helps buffer my mic from opening unexpectedly. Works great at keeping the fog away too!

Pinlock is working great, use it since 2 years now, even at 30 and below, when stop at a redlight no fog at all.
Great, I don't mind spend $65 but I'd like it to be on something that works!!! I've others say good things about them.
I've had my pinlock for almost 2 years now and absolutely love it. The shield will not fog! I never had a problem until I bought the FJR because I always had sportbikes that provide much more airflow to keep shield clear. Cruising on rainy, cold winter days with the bikes shield up on the FJR, there's not enough airflow to keep the helmet shield clear. The pinlock solved the problem that no amount of smear on crap would fix.

I have a Scorpion exo-700 and w/ the shield that came with it they have added some kind of anti-fog to it. Along w/ the breath guard I have been unable to cause fogging down to about freezing temps...

There may be some better products designed for the snowmobile market though as I'm sure it's a bigger problem for them....

Josh

I've had my pinlock for almost 2 years now and absolutely love it. The shield will not fog! I never had a problem until I bought the FJR because I always had sportbikes that provide much more airflow to keep shield clear. Cruising on rainy, cold winter days with the bikes shield up on the FJR, there's not enough airflow to keep the helmet shield clear. The pinlock solved the problem that no amount of smear on crap would fix.
Got my Pin Lock yesterday and used it this morning. wow, what a difference it makes!! NO fogging what-so-ever!! Optical clarity is not 100% but it's worth it to be able to ride with the shield completely down. I've never been able to do that with my RF1000.

I just ordered the Pinlock system for my Shoei RF1000. Hope it works ($65), the snorkel is an interesting idea.
I just got the pinlock for my RF-1000 about a month ago. Works as advertised! Hasn't fogged up, yet, in daily commuting use. Best thing I've tried yet, and I've tried a lot of them.
I've got the pinlocks in both my Nolan N 102s and they work very well. When really cold only my glasses will fog so have to put some catcrap or something on them, but the pinlocks are a great answer to fogging. In rain, I can keep the shield locked down too to stay dry without fogging too.

doctorj

You can buy replacement pinlocks (I still want to try the yellow tint kinda like shooting lenses) directly from CIMA international for Nolan helmets but maybe they can get them for others too. Motorcycle superstore carries them and think they are under $30 each. I usually replace one every couple of years.

doctorj

I have an RF-1000 and pinlock (pinlock clear cost about $70 shipped). First one leaked and didn't quite fog up but made a big moisture circle on the helmet; the pinlock vendor replace it. Second one worked for a while in 40F and above. Later as the temps get lower (say 25F), the pinlock leaked again. It works better when you don't have a windshield -- I think it still needs wind to keep things dry.

When it leaks, it gets dirty so I wash it and try to re-install it. The re-install is a pain and if you don't get it just right, it leaks and fogs up badly. I'm thinking of epoxying it on -- so it will surely not leak. But at this point, I think it's only useful down to say 40F.

It sucks at night because oncoming headlights are doubled and reflected on the sides -- in fact, it says on the shield for daylight use only. If I had known this I would not have bought it.

It definitely helps but it will leak but if it leaks only a little, it maybe ok.

Would I spend $70 for it again -- heck no!

I think it's worth maybe about $30.

Dennis

I have an RF-1000 and pinlock (pinlock clear cost about $70 shipped). First one leaked and didn't quite fog up but made a big moisture circle on the helmet; the pinlock vendor replace it. Second one worked for a while in 40F and above. Later as the temps get lower (say 25F), the pinlock leaked again. It works better when you don't have a windshield -- I think it still needs wind to keep things dry.

When it leaks, it gets dirty so I wash it and try to re-install it. The re-install is a pain and if you don't get it just right, it leaks and fogs up badly. I'm thinking of epoxying it on -- so it will surely not leak. But at this point, I think it's only useful down to say 40F.

It sucks at night because oncoming headlights are doubled and reflected on the sides -- in fact, it says on the shield for daylight use only. If I had known this I would not have bought it.

It definitely helps but it will leak but if it leaks only a little, it maybe ok.

Would I spend $70 for it again -- heck no!

I think it's worth maybe about $30.

Dennis
I'll play along in the thread resurrection...

Just in case you weren't already aware, the pinlock shields are adjustable. You can adjust the black posts so that the pinlock insert portion fits more tightly against the helmet shield. That might help your leaking woes.

I too have to wear glasses. The fogging inside my Shoei drove me to the point of starting to wear contacts; they do not fog up. Next, I'll try the Pin-Lock and should be good to go.

Cheers,

_Paul

I'll play along in the thread resurrection...

Just in case you weren't already aware, the pinlock shields are adjustable. You can adjust the black posts so that the pinlock insert portion fits more tightly against the helmet shield. That might help your leaking woes.
Thank you. I'll give it a try. It might be a while because it's hot these days and tough to fog the shield. I may be able to try it on a rain ride though.

OT: BTW, I lived in the Springs for probably 11 years before coming to NH. Beautiful area, I miss it a lot and miss Pikes Peak and all that sunshine over there. Only thing I'm not crazy about anymore is the city has gotten so big. Southern part where I used to live is not a great place anymore but the Northern parts are nice but so so many houses.

Thanks again,

Dennis

I have been using something very similar to the Foggy Respro for years called the "No Fog" mask. I first discovered the mask for snowmobiling many years ago. I have used it effectively down to -42 degrees F on the sled near James Bay. Works great in the bike helmet as well in the freezing spring and fall rides. I used to wear glasses and the No Fog mask combined with some anti fog spray on the glasses did the trick (most skiing and snowmobiling distributors carry the anti fog spray)

For the cooler summer riders I have used both the Pinlock visor and the Fog City insert in my helmets. Both were effective at eliminating or reducing fogging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dredging up this old thread to share something that I've found works recently. On the trip back from EOM I was getting a lot of shield fogging in the cooler fall mornings. Did some web-surfing in the skin diving forums to find what they do to prevent fogging in their face masks. One thread suggested that you could smear a small amount of regular shampoo (not the opaque anti-dandruff stuff) on the inside surface of your mask with a clean finger, and then polish away the smeary-ness with a clean cotton (not microfiber) cloth. The idea was that this would leave a microscopically thin coating of the soap to act as a surfactant and eliminate the tendency of fogging.

Being a cheap SOB I figured, what the heck, and treated my face shield with a dab of Hotel room shampoo. That was back in September and that face shield has remained fog free since then (have not cleaned the inside surface). When it is really cold I do notice that the moisture from my breath will collect on the lower edge of the face shield where, instead of making fog, it makes a thin layer of water, which creates a blurry appearance there. But no fogging up in the upper 3/4 of the shield. One little free hotel room tube of shampoo could last you a lifetime! Try it. The price is right.