Factory parts available at dealers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riderjohn

Reaction score
My question is directed more to those with dealers of more than one brand of motorcycles which I assume are the norm now. Do you have trouble buying brand name maintence items from your local dealer?

I have read many threads on oil and such with some saying to use factory parts listed in the owners manual etc. I thought that was odd as I live in a very populated area and my dealer has several brands of bikes. For the FJR, I could not buy the gear lube nor the correct filter nor the oil recommended by Yamaha. They own three motorcycle shops in town so it's not like they are small. For cost cutting measures, they carry a 'one size fits all' kind of inventory. I doubt they are the only ones doing such. And just for your information, if you take in your new bike for warrenty or service work, you will likely NOT get any factory parts installed unless your bike has the most 'one size fits all' parts.

So I was just wondering if this is the situation in your area? Also, is your dealership over half full of ATVs too?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the FRJ, I could not buy the gear lube nor the correct filter nor the oil recommended by Yamaha...they carry a 'one size fits all' kind of inventory...if you take in your new bike for warrenty or service work, you will...NOT get any factory parts installed...
Is this why your town is named Surprise, AZ? ;) :lol:

At any dealer I've been to in the North East you generally can't make a dealer use anything BUT Yamaha parts for service and maintenance. Plus, the OEM Yamaha parts are priced like they are made of gold and oil.

I must be lucky as most dealers in my area are specific for what they provide. Mine is a Yamaha dealer but that does not mean I can always get parts while I am standing at the desk. The FJR is a small sales item compared to the ATVs and sportbikes, and cruisers. There is a much larger availability of parts for those bikes rather than mine.

I disagree with your statement of you not getting OEM parts of you take your bike in for work.

If that was the case I would run from your dealer

Last edited by a moderator:
Parts are one thing....Consumables are another (and will NOT void your warranty).

Oil, gear oil, anti-freeze, tires are all consumables.

Gaskets, seals, filters, etc. are parts.

If you want Yamaha specific oil or gear lube (any lubricant) there are other places from which you can purchase them: Look at this thread.

Surely there is more than one Yamaha dealer in the Phoenix area. If not, the thread link I provided will give you some sources.

That's why many on the forum do their own maintenance and keep records of the service they've performed.

Yes, we have other dealers here but most other Yamaha dealerships are owned by the same owner. Different dealership names but the same owner and therefore similar operating procedures. It's worse with autos. 90 percent of all auto dealerships in the Phoenix metro valley are owned by one family and one corportation.

I was just interested in whether the above was odd or the norm these days. But here, just because you take your bike to a dealership, that does not mean you will get the products listed in the owners manual. Now, don't mis-understand, I don't think that means they are crooks or that harm will come to your bike. I think it just means it doesn't make that much difference on consumables which ones are used. So they cut their inventory to bare bones.

I'm in the NorCal bayarea and the dealers I know of all use strickly Yamaha consumables and parts. They won't use anything else. But I'm doing my own service's so I use what I want and track it myself. I stick with Yamaha parts as long as I'm still under warranty though just in case. PM. <>< ;)

When I go to my local Yamaha/Honda dealer for Yamaha/FJR specific anything I might as well be working on the Flux Capacitor to my time machine.

When I go to my local Yamaha/Honda dealer for Yamaha/FJR specific anything I might as well be working on the Flux Capacitor to my time machine.

One of my coworkers went into Competition Accessories (right around the corner from his house...they ARE a Yamaha dealer!) to buy an oil filter for his R1. He could not convince either of the counter guys that it was a motorcycle and not an ATV. He left in disgust and went to Wally-world for a supertech filter.

Yes, we have other dealers here but most other Yamaha dealerships are owned by the same owner. Different dealership names but the same owner and therefore similar operating procedures. It's worse with autos. 90 percent of all auto dealerships in the Phoenix metro valley are owned by one family and one corportation.
Now, now, Riderjohn. That's not quite accurate.

Yes, The Arizona Motorsports folks, or their current nomiker RideNow own many motorcycle dealerships, but they don't own 'most'. There are a few - albeit ONLY a few indies around town, but then their is the other group - the Phoenix Powesports group that has several dealerships and generally have a better rep than the RideNow folks. As as much as I personally hate the RideNow network, I have had one positive experience with them and other folks have also.

Now from what I understand, RideNow is owned by the Coulter Cadillac folks, and they own many car dealerships. Is that who you were referring to? I can tell you that they, nor any other family or group own anywhere near 90% of Auto dealerships in the Phoenix Metro area. I know another organization that owns 19 different dealerships, but that isn't any where close to a majority of them.

As for brand name stuff, I think the experience may vary depending on what each individual store sells the most. They are not likely to stock stuff that doesn't sell that much. Much stuff is comparable however. For instance, one of the RideNow dealers didn't have the Yamaha pre-mix coolant, but did have the Honda stuff. Good enough for me, if not better.

As for the filters and gear lube, the FJR is a low volume unit any I would guess many dealers don't stock that stuff. That is why I order stuff like that in bulk quantities online. I know I ALWAYS have it available in my garage.

Hopw to see you on a local ride sometime. :rolleyes:

or their current nomiker
nomiker? :rofl: U no, it r teh phunny how teh interwebs can f00k up teh English language. :rolleyes:

To the OP: Santa Barbara is a small town. Very, very little is available here; OEM or AM. Most stuff I need has to be ordered. So, like numbnuts up there, I have a fairly good supply of consumables on the shelf. Some OEM, some not and I don't depend on the local dealers having what I need. Same holds true for auto parts and things like nuts and bolts - heaven forbid I should need a metric stainless fastener as I'll never find a source in this town.

-Teh TWN

SkooterG

I don't know that the 90% figure used for car dealerships would hold up in court. I only know that two groups own a ton of auto dealerships here in the Valley.

But that's not the point. My comment was a tongue in cheek observation for those who believe that you must use Yamaha brands for everything for service. What you get in the service department is more determined on what they keep on hand than what the owners manual says. For example, I raised a little hell with the parts and service over the rear shaft drive gear lube I got from parts and the oil. I was assured by both the Parts Manager and the Service Manager that what they sold me is what I would get if I brought it in for service. Neither product I was sold was the recommended product listed in the Owners Manual. They don't carry those listed in the manual. Being a muliti-brand dealership means they carry what is most popular etc. I'm only saying don't be so sure that you are getting the brand of consumables as your bike.