Farkling for a BBG3000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Udjeni

Reaction score
I recently completed a Bun Burner Gold 3000 (3000 miles in 48 hours) - paperwork still to be done and accepted. I wrote a ride report here, but thought I'll tell a bit about the preparation in this forum because of all the great this forum has been in the process.

I bought my new '07 Yamaha FJR 1300 a year ago and spent the year getting it and myself ready for the big ride.

306001163_bFUaY-M.jpg

312931480_JGGBc-M.jpg

A number of farkles were added (the full list at the end of this), but the most important ones were, in the order in which they appeared on the bike:

• A foot peg lowering kit
  • A Throttlemeister throttle lock
  • An Autocom Active-plus communication system
  • A Jazz auxiliary fuel tank
The main purpose of buying the Autocom was for communication between my wife and I while we're riding two-up, but for this trip its sole purpose was to connect my cell phone to the head phones and microphone so that Jeannine can reach me whenever she felt the need to. She takes a lot of strain while I am feeding my affliction, so this was one way of trying to reduce the stress. Only problem was Autocom did not have a connector for my fancy (maybe no longer so) new Nokia 6110 phone-with-a-GPS apart from their Bluetooth adapter, and the latter was just too expensive given all the other things I have been spending money on. Fortunately I still had my old venerable Nokia 6310i for which Autocom had a relatively cheap connector. Unfortunatley the latter has a very flimsy setup, almost guaranteeing that it would become disconnected while in a tankbag or jacket pocket. So I had to make a plan using material I became aquainted with (and obtained from an occupational therapist) recently when I broke my thumb.

306001919_BSMXe-S.jpg

My biggest problem was finding a local auxiliary fuel tank solution since getting one from overseas was just going to be too expensive. After much searching and asking around I found a local racing outfit (Harp Racing) that were at the point of importing Jazz fuel cells and the owner, Steve, said he'll be able to manufacture the necessary fittings for me. It took about 5 months from the first time I spoke with Steve until the fuel cell was finally here and then another month before it was mounted on the bike (just 3 weeks before my planned ride). While the timing could have been a bit better, Steve did a great job and I am happy. There are just two adjustments I still want to make: Steve had difficulty sourcing quick disconnect dry couplers (I have now ordered two sets from Sampson Sport Touring and we should have tilted the aux. tank slightly at the front so that less fuel goes to waste at the bottom of the tank (I've used two wooden strips as an interim solution - I am sure they would not pass Warchild's tech inspection). I still have not figured out exactly how much fuel I can rely on with the aux. tank (did not have time to ride it till dry), but the most I have put in on the trip was a total of 33 liters. In theory I should have 25 + 18 = 43 liters, but for planning purposes I assumed 36 liters (based on a single refill before the ride).

Two weeks before the scheduled ride a friend lent me his Garmin Quest GPS with RAM mount, so there was a bit of a scramble to get it mounted and connected. The standard RAM bracket did not quite work on the handle bars of the FJR, so I made one from a piece of threaded bar my friend had in his garage. Next was the power source. The cigarette lighter connector that comes standard on the FJR is an absolute waste of time, so I added a Hella/BMW/Powerlet connector by drilling a hole in the upper left fairing of the FJR.

306001424_fuXWb-M.jpg

Since I am still waiting for Curt to manufacture the second batch of his FZ-1 fuse block, I now had 3 additional wires connected directly to the battery (aux. power, Autocomm, and the CTek "comfort leads"). I decided to forgo on plugging the Garmin into the Autocom since no Autocom cable is cheap and I don't know when if ever I will be getting my own Garmin.

I velcro'd a Petzl E+Lite headlight to the front of my helmet and added extra security (you know, for that inadvertent brush while clearing your visor) in the form of a shoe lace and duct tape.

312928970_b8uKS-M.jpg

This worked great for viewing my route sheet at night because it has a swivel and a red LED which does not mess with your night vision. In the photo you can also see my custom sun shield on the top of my visor ;) , as well as the Shoei pin-lock anti-fog insert. The latter works like a dream. :good:

The complete list of farkles (not all were for this ride :) ) on the bike is (in alphabetical order):

312932467_b7Xvu-M.jpg

312931310_KnSdH-M.jpg

312929087_i3y95-M.jpg

Lastly, just a picture I took earlier this year, on our way back from Windhoek, Namibia to Cape Town. This was between Keetmanshoop and Noordoewer. It was a fun ride.

271866731_y4rKo-L.jpg