Favorite '80s bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one of these shafties that I bought from the shop I was working at for a little over $3000. It was a fortune. We rode this and my room-mate's Yam XS750 triple all over the southwest. Other than the lack of a fairing, there are a lot of similarities to the FJR so I guess I've come most of the way around the circle from dirt and sport bike land.

1980_GS1000G_black_510.jpg

When the wife complains about the bikes, I remind her that this pre-dates her arrival.

Bob

1986-Yamaha-FAZER-FZX700-Red-9685-0.jpg

I liked (had) the 1987 version. It was known as the Son of V-Max, and although it had some issues, was a really fun bike.
Wow! My brother's got the identical '86 version of this! 38,000 miles and going strong. He's using it as a loaner and as a trainer for his kids. He rides a Bandit (and is upgrading to the '08 ABS tomorrow). These Fazers have a great motor!

Thing I remember about the 80's was the horsepower race, in the 70's we all seem petty happy with our 20 and 30 HP bikes, then don't remember exactly when or what, but Honda jacked the rev's on their street bikes installed HORSEPOWER and made some really happy campers, and the race was on.

Like to never found this pic of my 1980 XS 1100.

Dsc00339.jpg

Damn I miss that bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted one of these soooo bad....

GS1100L002.jpg

But I probably would have crashed it. My girlfriend bought a nice, safe Harley. It didn't run long enough to crash.

The FJR is the second bike I ever really wanted....

My 1981 Yamaha XJ750R Seca, bought brand new. Well, all 632 miles of it, until I crashed and totaled it. :eek:
Not a sip of booze on a bike since....
Too bad about the crash!!! I think you would have had a great many years with a bike that was ahead of it's time for that era. (LCD display, monitoring system, anti-dive, self cancelling signals cool looks...)

I still have my 81 Seca (gave to my son) and it's still going strong!!!

Um..

Had a little windfall and am looking to replace my 85 V65 Magna.

Must be all original equipment, have a factory backrest and be the dark red.

Anybody know of one in good shape for sale?

(And this is not only SO approved, it's SO suggested!!! First date and all.)

My brother had a V65 Sabre that was a great bike! He let me borrow it while I was home, on leave, from the Navy. I rode that thing hard!

1986-Yamaha-FAZER-FZX700-Red-9685-0.jpg

I liked (had) the 1987 version. It was known as the Son of V-Max, and although it had some issues, was a really fun bike.
AHHHH!!! The Fazer!! :yahoo:

700cc 5-Valve Genesis Liquid Cooled!! :dribble:

That was a great bike!!!

1983 CB1100F Honda. I owned three; rode two - one to 23,000, the other to 33,000. This bike was the beefed up 900F and was in Europe in '81 and '82, only in the USA in '83, then just for that year 'cause the 1000 Interceptor was due in '84. These are rare and beautiful (red and white or blue and white) and very functional - in the day. Twin shocks, skinny tires wouldn't make it these days. I think they were 108 hp at the shaft and 96 at the wheel and would run neck and neck with the Kaw GPZs and Suzis of that time. My wife and I, with soft saddle bags, tank bag and tail pack on a luggae rack toured the northwest, even out to the west shore of Vancouver Island on the "F". Never any trouble.
"Wouldn't make it these days" I beg to differ sir. I have two 83 Supersports, one stock one in red and a highly modified one in blue. I have roasted many a modern crotch rocket with them. I had bright red Italian machinery for lunch just yesterday up near Suches. You can almost hear them scream when they get a peak at the Antique/Hobby tag on your way by. Of course it helps that have ridden that road several hundred times in the last few years.

Your right about the bags though. I rode the red one down to Daytona earlier this year. BTW it just rolled over 60,000 miles.

My all time favorite has got to be the 1984 Honda V65 Sabre. Man that sucker s one fast mutha. I never lost a race, cars or motorcycles. Sold it 9 years after purchase and got what I paid for it.

This one is easy....

1987'S FASTEST BIKE IN THE WORLD:

One of the funnest and fastest bikes I had ever owned.. (Until my ZX12R and ZX10R that is):

fzr1000.jpg

Them genesis motors had a lot of valve noise thats for sure!

Brings back some great memories!

WW

My 81 Seca 550, it was light and so was I way back then.

when the cops pulled me over and asked if I knew how fast I was going, I could honestly answer "no", adding "The federal government has mandated that all speedometers only go to 85". While this didn't get me out of the ticket, because frankly I was guilty as hell, it never failed to get me a gentlemans reduction to ten over.

That bike was perfectly made for me to wrap my toes around the rear taillight.