Feedback wanted on Pro Caliber in Longview

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruppelt

Will always be FJR rider at heart
Reaction score
I just received my safety recall notice in the mail yesterday, and I have some mixed feeling about going back to Bob Lanphere's Beaverton Motorcycles. That place is just huge and I did have some minor complaints the last few times they did service (has been several years though). Now the safety harness is a pretty big job, so that has me worried about the quality of work.

Longview is still farther away for me as compared to Beaverton (I live south of Scappoose on HW 30), both are pains location wise.

Any feedback for Pro Caliber in Longview? Any comparisons to Beaverton Motorcycle? Has anybody here had their recall done by either? Any other dealerships I should consider?

THANK YOU, any input would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious about the ProCaliber in Vancouver, if anyone's had work done there. I had my 07 at Beaverton a week ago for a service and mentioned the recall to them since it was there anyway. They didn't know a thing about it and despite me giving them the info I was told that since my VIN didn't return any recalls they weren't going to look into it further. Living in Vancouver, the ProCaliber is in (long) walking distance.

Desert Valley Powersports in Prosser is where I would take it. They had pulled off their floor all the FJR's when I was there weeks agao, ready to do the recall work. Mike knows what's going on.

My 2 cents,

Dave

I specifically won't take my bike to Pro Caliber, nor do they get any of my business. Too many stories of problems, but the only thing I've seen first hand is high prices.

That's in Vancouver, I haven't dealt with the Longview store.

I have dealt with pro cal in vancouver, cant recommend them, have dealt with bob in beaverton. my recommendation i yamaha of fairview on halsey 503-669-2000,open 7 days a week and is under original owner again after it was sold to factory motorsports in oc, I have had service work done there and accys installed there.they did a good job.I talked to service mgr on sat 7/16/11 and he says parts are ordered to fix recalls and that they have already sone some before the recall, the only thing I dont like about them is thier tires and parts are high. you can get tires mounted on the bike at pro cal for less than half of thier price, so I guess we cant have it all, good prices and good service, why not ????.. hope this was of some help

Thanks for all suggestions and feedback.

After googling Pro Caliber originally I had seen a lot of negative feedback for the Vancouver store, but only very little feedback at all for the Longview store. That little bit was medium to positive, so I had hopes for confirmation...

I'll google and probably visit Yamaha of Fairview as alternative (thanks krotchrocketgrampa), that's not too much farther than Longview. Prosser is a good 4 hours one way. I have no vacation left at all, so they would have to do it quickly in the middle of a weekend day as a ride-in for this to be feasible, hmmm.

Quick update, I'll bring it to Yamaha of Fairview aka Yamaha Sports Plaza EDIT: in a few weeks this next Saturday for the Recall. It seems that for this dealer the harness kits are still three weeks out at least. They seemed knowledgable on the phone, but of course I don't know how much that means in reality. I'll report back my findings related to Service and Quality.

I will have to dig into my bike very soon anyway to check my valves, soak my clutch plates and do a TBS, so I'll have ample opportunity to see what's up with the harness routing, missing screws etc.

I am a huge fan of Mike Cardenas (Cardenas Motorsports) He is fully certified on Yamaha (previously head mechanic for Bob's for almost 17 years before starting his own shop 3-4 years ago. He doesn't have the overheads, so his shop rates and parts / tire prices are better and you know you don't have the kid who was washing bikes last week doing your work. His shop is in Tualatin across the road from Haggens. You will be a fan! 503--- 351--- 7818.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the tip, I might check out how much he wants for doing a valve check. Since he is not part of the official Yamaha dealer network I am pretty sure he would not be allowed to do the safety recall, since it could not officially be marked as done in their system.

If it were not for that detail my biggest preference would be to just do the recall myself in my own garage...

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the tip, I might check out how much he wants for doing a valve check. Since he is not part of the official Yamaha dealer network I am pretty sure he would not be allowed to do the safety recall, since it could not officially be marked as done in their system.

If it were not for that detail my biggest preference would be to just do the recall myself in my own garage...

Yes, I understand the dealer network issue, however for ANYTHING else, on any brand, he will be better and less expensive. No shill work here, just a very satisfied customer and fan.

Quick update, I changed my mind and made an appointment with Mike at Desert Valley Powersports in Prosser, WA for a ride-in on Saturday, Aug 6th. Even though they only have Mike and one technician in there on Saturdays,he thought it might take between 35 minutes and a couple of hours max, depending on what they find and how busy they are that day. They already did 7 FJR recalls these last weeks and have both harness kits in stock.

Having read the many glowing reviews for Desert Valley on the board here over the years, plus the two above in this topic, and after hearing the above mentioned info on the phone, I figure I just need to look at this as a nice day trip riding out the Columbia Gorge, paired with minimal worries for my bike surviving the recall work. :D :)

I talked to Mike two days ago, and he told me they didn't have the main wire harness in stock, and it would be a four day wait if it was needed. I was told the same thing, that they have done about seven so far and haven't found any problems.

Gunny re: Slapnpop's comment! My experience w/ ProCal was at their Bend store, ...dissapointed enough that my bike will not darken their doorstep again, ever! Sorry to hear the negative responses regarding Bob Lamphere's, ...was thinking they might be my alternative. Had wanted to let a local I trust do it [he's a Yama certified wrench - was the svs mgr at the local store pre-ProCal], but as he's not currently at a licensed Yama dealership it's not kosher.

I talked to Mike two days ago, and he told me they didn't have the main wire harness in stock, and it would be a four day wait if it was needed. I was told the same thing, that they have done about seven so far and haven't found any problems.
Greg, my statement about the main harness being in stock might be my bad extrapolating Mike's comments. I believe he did not directly say they had them in stock or not... But I also clearly remember he said they had not had a single bike where they found any issues with the existing spider connectors, which surprised me. Now I am wondering. What happens if he does find an issue with any of my connectors? They are 4+ hours away from my home.

Cruppelt,

Those were my thoughts also,since I live the same distance as you do. It seems unlikely that the issue would arise, but all we could do is have him button it up and come back. Good excuse for a ride.

Had the bike with Mike at Desert Valley on Saturday at exactly 10:30 am. After looking around (nice dealership!) I took a long early lunch, and when I came back it was all done. No need for the bigger harness, Mike found zero damage. It was a great ride up, and even better on the way back. Went through Bickelton, saw a couple of Golden Eagles (one actually from a little too close up), and nearly got blown of the bike on I84 at The Dalles due to some NASTY gusting. I've gone through the Gorge quite a few times but have never experienced the wind so bad and constantly changing. Still, a very success day and I had a great old time.

Next thing is valve check, tbs and clutch soak, hopefully all to happen in my new shop, that's if I can finish the floor and the siding in time... :p