Final Drive Leaking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd34

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't come up with much. I also haven't had many bikes with shaft drive so I don't know if this is normal.

Looks like it is leaking drive lube where the hub meets the wheel. The bike is an 05 with 3300 miles. I changed the drive lube when I changed the oil at 600 and didn't notice any issues. The lube is mostly splattered on the drive side of the wheel. I have pics but don't have a place to post them. Thanks.

Todd

Sure it's gear oil, and not lube from the splines where the wheel interfaces with the final drive? If it's dark, it's grease from that joint. Though it shouldn't have taken this long to become evident.

Did you replace the crush washer on the drain plug?

I changed mine at 300 or so and did not, after I torqued it up I noticed that same light splatter on the driven side of the wheel - a half-turn more fixed it up - I will be buying crush washers for the next change.. :wacko:

It certainly could be lube from the splines. It is dark and appears to be coming from where the wheel interfaces with the final drive. I didn't replace the cush washer when I changed the lube. I'll have to check that out and see if it's coming from there.

If it is lube from the splines, is that normal?

Todd

If they used regular grease instead of high moly-content grease, it can flow easier under the pressure and heat that is present at the splines. That's why so many people recommend the Honda Moly 60 Paste. Anyone who's tried to clean it off something after using it will attest to its tenacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the ProMoly weep like that right after a re-do and some fast riding. But then, I tend to kinda gob it on. :D

It's probably grease as the others have mentioned. Clean it off after each ride... it'll stop in a few days. But, there is one other thing to check...

Take a look under the shaft side of the swing-arm. Right in front of where the pumpkin bolts to the swing arm is a drain hole. If there's oil coming out of that, it can get sucked into your rear wheel and look like it's coming from the shaft. If so, you've got a cracked oil seal on the swing-arm... Should be covered under warantee. As far as I know, I'm the only one who's had this problem, so it's fairly uncommon and probably not the issue. But it can't hurt to check.

I wouldn't listen to anything smthng says, he still hasn't figured out the turn signals yet. ;)

Thanks for all the info guys. I cleaned the wheel this weekend and put another 300 miles on it afterwards. There is a light coating building up on the wheel again. I checked the drain hole and it looks like I might have a bit of oil coming out of it because I can see some dirt collecting right around that area. I'll wipe it off and take it for another ride and see if that could be the problem.

Todd

Said it before, I'll say it again-replace those crummy crushers with copper washers like the ones that have worked for years. I found mine at a good parts store-Wagner brakes makes them, they don't leak after repeated use, the torque setting is the same new or used, and they last forever.

Mine also leaks from the drain hole. I took the pumpkin off and the source is a gasket surrounding the shaft. The leak is not bad but I ordered the parts and plan on changing on my next tire change.

Mine leaks also, I wiped it off, checked the rear drive fluid level and it is always at the bottom of the threads and starts to leak out when I remove the fill bolt.

I have put new crush washers on. I cleaned the rear wheel and it looks like it is covered with crud after a short while.

I see the the plastic/rubber boot covering the shaft at the trans looks like it is covered with crud as well.

Well, hopefully someone will be able to give their opinion of what needs to be done at eom.

Unless someone can assist me to figure this out before hand.

It's an 05 with about 5000 miles on it. had it just under six months.

Thx for your suggestions, btw I do not have the manual so if any one has in pdf form maybe you can split it and e-mail it to me, if that is something that is okay to do. Thx MIke

BlueDevil and Blue Dog (do we sense a theme here?), if the leak from the drain hole is what I think it is, it's not the rear pumpkin seal that's leaking. BDog indicated that his pumpkin was still full inspite of the leak. That indicates to me that you're having the same problem I was having. There is another seal on the other end of the drive shaft. Since I didn't do the work, I'm assuming this supposed to keep the oil for the transmission in the engine. THAT'S the seal that went on mine. The oil comes out of the tranny, down the drive shaft or the inside of the swing arm and that's what you're getting on your rear rim and drive shaft... Not from the pumpkin. I have no idea what the work required to replace that is, but it took my stealer over three weeks (of course, they kept screwing up and having to order more parts, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it - idiots!).

I'd take it in under the warantee... it'd suck to be without the bike for a while, but I don't think it's your average "do it yourself" job. :(

According to the shop manual, there are at least 4 components on the shaft assembly that are 'one-time use' and have to be replaced in order to get to that seal.

Reminds of when my Dodge Ram 4x4 blew the front pumpkin seal. The dealer had to take the gears out from the front to get to it from the inside. Shimming all the gears and such was the hard/labor intensive part. Replacing the seal took all day. Glad it was covered under warranty. All kinds of gaskets that had to be replaced just to fix that one leaking seal...

I was actually talking about the drain hole that SMTHNG mentioned just in front of the pumpkin. The drain for the pumpkin is fine and I checked the gear oil level and it's full.

I've been out of the area for a few days and haven't had a chance to ride it to see if the hole in front of the pumpkin is leaking. I think it's gear oil coming from where the wheel connects.

Todd

It's probably grease as the others have mentioned. Clean it off after each ride... it'll stop in a few days. But, there is one other thing to check...
Take a look under the shaft side of the swing-arm. Right in front of where the pumpkin bolts to the swing arm is a drain hole. If there's oil coming out of that, it can get sucked into your rear wheel and look like it's coming from the shaft. If so, you've got a cracked oil seal on the swing-arm... Should be covered under warantee. As far as I know, I'm the only one who's had this problem, so it's fairly uncommon and probably not the issue. But it can't hurt to check.
I just noticed this happening to mine and right where you talk about is greasy. Not a think oil film but grease. Guess I will be making a trip to the stealer...

Thanks for this heads up...

Gene