Finally got the bike-now I got questions !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of reasonable questions and lots of good answers. My 2 cents: don't change anything until you've put a couple of thousand miles on her, including some long days. After you get accustomed to a bike that is intentionally somewhat different from the one you just came from, then you can decide what really needs to be addressed,

geezer,

Great thoughts. I must get bar risers though. The angle of the bars is far from comfortable. I am used to get dirt bike style handlebars of my VStrom - and that was part of the love factor. Painless hours. Risers are an inexpensive enough upgrade-and within 30 days the change isn't acceptable, I can return the unblemished products.

Just a quick comment on question 2. Someone mentioned tyres and I'd like to second his comments. When I test rode my '08 before buying it exhibited exactly the traits that you describe, falling into right handers, particularly at low speeds. In fact it was so bad I almost didn't buy the bike. The shop fitted new rubber and it was totally transformed into the nice, compliant beast that it should be (even though the shop had underinflated both tyres by 6 psi).

:)

Just a quick comment on question 2. Someone mentioned tyres and I'd like to second his comments. When I test rode my '08 before buying it exhibited exactly the traits that you describe, falling into right handers, particularly at low speeds. In fact it was so bad I almost didn't buy the bike. The shop fitted new rubber and it was totally transformed into the nice, compliant beast that it should be (even though the shop had underinflated both tyres by 6 psi).

:)

I think my tyres are cool. Spent a little more time turning at slow speeds, same behavior on both sides. Tyres are balanced well. Pirellis (not sure what model)

Just be sure to check your (cold) tire pressure regularly. I check mine at least weekly.

I think some new feej pilots initially feel the bike turns easier in one direction than the other, but I believe that's a psychological thing related to one's handedness.

My first ride on the FJR reminded me of my '78 XS-11, in that it felt a bit top-heavy.

That feeling vanished as soon as I got her up to a decent speed on the way home! :p