Finally got the bike-now I got questions !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrsochs

Reaction score
OK. I got a new to me 05 FJR. 16,500miles on it. The manual wasn't available so I have questions that are probably answered in the manual. 96.6 miles the first ride. Just to get accustomed to the new bike. But mostly Short rides for now. Loads of questions as I learn this bike's characteristics and sounds. I don't know what normal is. So here are my questions. By the way, I love this bike. Seems like a great platform to build for me.

1. What gear/RPM for city traffic where the average speed limit is 40-45mph? The bike seems comfy in 3rd,4th and 5th. I chose 3rd, and 2nd when leaving from stop lights; I hit a bump last night after turning onto a bumpy street and almost launched myself into someone's living room. Throttle control ! Your own a supergo tourer boy.

2. Does the bike turn easier to the right than left? Seems like when I turn right from a stop, the handle bars almost turn themselves into the corner. But not so much turning left. This only seems apparent at less than 10mph

3. How long should I let the bike warm up before riding ? One bar of temperature on the digital gauge?

4. Is a swishing, whirring type sound typical of the front brakes? Wiiiiiiiishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh until stop. Doesn't always make this sound. Doesn't seem to be related to speed. 5mph bumper to bumper or 70mph off a highway ramp, I hear the sound.

5. Ok so how was this windshield designed? For who? IF its low, I'm on a sport bike, If its a little higher my torso catches all the wind. A little higher the bugs find my face, a little higher the noise begins, all the way up the noise continues. I dip down behind the windshield and I experience the quietest ride I've ever heard, nothing put the harmonious purr of that engine. So, do I really have to buy a Cee Bailey, Givi, VStream etc etc. I'm 6 feet tall.

6. Ok so how was the seat to handle bar distance determined? I have back and neck problems and I have to lean forward just enough to not be completely comfortable. The Vstrom was perfect, I sat "in" the bike. My hands almost chest height. On the FJR, I feel like I'm sliding forward all the time, especially on hills. My seat is a Sargeant. Nice seat. But I can't reach the handle bars without leaning in. I need the bars an inch or 2 higher and 3-4 inches closer to me to give me the relaxed elbow feel I liked so much on the VStrom. The position I find myself in currently BEGS for me to ride just a little faster than good citizenship would allow. I don't want my elbows locked or to have to push myself back into the seat when decelerating (especially downhill.) What kind of risers do I get? Really don't want to spend a ton. My estimates of inches are purely estimates, perhaps less will do, I just don't know.

7. You guys really fit stuff in the side cases? My small laptop won't even fit. I don't have a top case. So, is there a side case made that is aerodynamically sound for "FJR speeds" and that can carry, at the least, a laptop? Perhaps I just need to add some kind of top-case. I don't think I need a two helmet case but I need to fit a backpack in there. Bigger sidecases? or Top cases?

8. Security-Anybody know the stats on stolen FJRs. My VStrom was agreed upon by VStrom riders as ugly. FJR is not-according to the swiveling heads over the last few days. Need I worry when traveling about the country? What do you guys do to keep your bike safe? Cables, alarms, location, VStrom motorcyle covers(lol) ??

9. Please explain tension, preload and anything else related to those two little black dials near my handle bars. DO the silver nuts/bolts do something as well ? Is this something you set before each ride or typically a rider preference that just gets set and forgotten about? When I go to the Dragon, what setting will provide the most control?

10. Which comes first - heated grips or hand guards? I plan to ride this bike until there is ice on the ground. I'm a thin guy and the coldest thing on my body is my fingers and ears-burning cold at 30degrees hands; will handguards do more than heated grips when wearing winter riding gloves.

11. What is a decent set of winter riding gloves that wont cause attention when I'm disrobing at the office. (Ladies please cheer now)

12. What's a decent set of cold weather boots that wont cause attention when I'm disrobing at the office. Perhaps I just need to leave office shoes under my desk and change during the day. (you guys are all well off and/or retired so maybe you just suit up for flight and disappear into the mountains)

13. (Is he really asking all these questions at once) Yes, I'm excited. Come on man, I've owned the phenom1300 for approx. 24ours. I can't think about much else but making her fit and function as perfect as the VStrom did-while cruising at FJR speeds.

14. What is the first thing I should do maintenance wise after purchasing a used bike? Change all the wet stuff and ride her hard?

15. What the hell is a PowerCommander? It does what exactly?

16. I want to be an FJR mechanic(of my own bike)? Where do I start-not having any experience other than changing the oil on my VStrom.?

17. Anyway to make the heat that comes off the engine distribute evenly on both sides of the bike?

18. Ouch, damn fairings are so close to my shins, I keep gouging myself. But I'm learning. What do frame sliders do? Necessary?

19. Once these Pirellis are done, what should I get that won't piss me off? I ride sensibly above the speed limit-within the tolerances of the badged ones. However, I have been leaning a bit more, desiring to see if I can get as low as Suzuki's Bautista. And of course now that my FJR crawls at speeds my Vstrom sweaed through, I'm gonna need a tire that will take me on LD rides and let me close the gap between my abilities and hte bikes abilities. (Again, I'm more of a tourer than a FJR-alete.) My Vstrom loved the Conti Road Attacks. Those things ran for miles.

20. Engine Braking? My Vstrom would almost stop as soon as I closed the throttle in any gear. If I down shifted, I would almost unge forward ont he bike. It made for some really cool (safe?) engine braking where I could use both engine and brakes. On the FJR, if I let go of the throttle the bike slows down (5mph !) and careens forward with no sign of stopping. So, if my brakes failed, how the heck would I stop the FJRocket? I guess thats a part of it's smoothness.

Thanks all,

nate

OK. I got a new to me 05 FJR. 16,500miles on it. The manual wasn't available so I have questions that are probably answered in the manual. 96.6 miles the first ride. Just to get accustomed to the new bike. But mostly Short rides for now. Loads of questions as I learn this bike's characteristics and sounds. I don't know what normal is. So here are my questions. By the way, I love this bike. Seems like a great platform to build for me.

1. What gear/RPM for city traffic where the average speed limit is 40-45mph? The bike seems comfy in 3rd,4th and 5th. I chose 3rd, and 2nd when leaving from stop lights; I hit a bump last night after turning onto a bumpy street and almost launched myself into someone's living room. Throttle control ! Your own a supergo tourer boy.

2. Does the bike turn easier to the right than left? Seems like when I turn right from a stop, the handle bars almost turn themselves into the corner. But not so much turning left. This only seems apparent at less than 10mph

3. How long should I let the bike warm up before riding ? One bar of temperature on the digital gauge?

4. Is a swishing, whirring type sound typical of the front brakes? Wiiiiiiiishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh until stop. Doesn't always make this sound. Doesn't seem to be related to speed. 5mph bumper to bumper or 70mph off a highway ramp, I hear the sound.

5. Ok so how was this windshield designed? For who? IF its low, I'm on a sport bike, If its a little higher my torso catches all the wind. A little higher the bugs find my face, a little higher the noise begins, all the way up the noise continues. I dip down behind the windshield and I experience the quietest ride I've ever heard, nothing put the harmonious purr of that engine. So, do I really have to buy a Cee Bailey, Givi, VStream etc etc. I'm 6 feet tall.

6. Ok so how was the seat to handle bar distance determined? I have back and neck problems and I have to lean forward just enough to not be completely comfortable. The Vstrom was perfect, I sat "in" the bike. My hands almost chest height. On the FJR, I feel like I'm sliding forward all the time, especially on hills. My seat is a Sargeant. Nice seat. But I can't reach the handle bars without leaning in. I need the bars an inch or 2 higher and 3-4 inches closer to me to give me the relaxed elbow feel I liked so much on the VStrom. The position I find myself in currently BEGS for me to ride just a little faster than good citizenship would allow. I don't want my elbows locked or to have to push myself back into the seat when decelerating (especially downhill.) What kind of risers do I get? Really don't want to spend a ton. My estimates of inches are purely estimates, perhaps less will do, I just don't know.

7. You guys really fit stuff in the side cases? My small laptop won't even fit. I don't have a top case. So, is there a side case made that is aerodynamically sound for "FJR speeds" and that can carry, at the least, a laptop? Perhaps I just need to add some kind of top-case. I don't think I need a two helmet case but I need to fit a backpack in there. Bigger sidecases? or Top cases?

8. Security-Anybody know the stats on stolen FJRs. My VStrom was agreed upon by VStrom riders as ugly. FJR is not-according to the swiveling heads over the last few days. Need I worry when traveling about the country? What do you guys do to keep your bike safe? Cables, alarms, location, VStrom motorcyle covers(lol) ??

9. Please explain tension, preload and anything else related to those two little black dials near my handle bars. DO the silver nuts/bolts do something as well ? Is this something you set before each ride or typically a rider preference that just gets set and forgotten about? When I go to the Dragon, what setting will provide the most control?

10. Which comes first - heated grips or hand guards? I plan to ride this bike until there is ice on the ground. I'm a thin guy and the coldest thing on my body is my fingers and ears-burning cold at 30degrees hands; will handguards do more than heated grips when wearing winter riding gloves.

11. What is a decent set of winter riding gloves that wont cause attention when I'm disrobing at the office. (Ladies please cheer now)

12. What's a decent set of cold weather boots that wont cause attention when I'm disrobing at the office. Perhaps I just need to leave office shoes under my desk and change during the day. (you guys are all well off and/or retired so maybe you just suit up for flight and disappear into the mountains)

13. (Is he really asking all these questions at once) Yes, I'm excited. Come on man, I've owned the phenom1300 for approx. 24ours. I can't think about much else but making her fit and function as perfect as the VStrom did-while cruising at FJR speeds.

14. What is the first thing I should do maintenance wise after purchasing a used bike? Change all the wet stuff and ride her hard?

16. I want to be an FJR mechanic(of my own bike)? Where do I start-not having any experience other than changing the oil on my VStrom.?

17. Anyway to make the heat that comes off the engine distribute evenly on both sides of the bike?

18. Ouch, damn fairings are so close to my shins, I keep gouging myself. But I'm learning. What do frame sliders do? Necessary?

19. Once these Pirellis are done, what should I get that won't piss me off? I ride sensibly above the speed limit-within the tolerances of the badged ones. However, I have been leaning a bit more, desiring to see if I can get as low as Suzuki's Bautista. And of course now that my FJR crawls at speeds my Vstrom sweaed through, I'm gonna need a tire that will take me on LD rides and let me close the gap between my abilities and hte bikes abilities. (Again, I'm more of a tourer than a FJR-alete.) My Vstrom loved the Conti Road Attacks. Those things ran for miles.

20. Engine Braking? My Vstrom would almost stop as soon as I closed the throttle in any gear. If I down shifted, I would almost unge forward ont he bike. It made for some really cool (safe?) engine braking where I could use both engine and brakes. On the FJR, if I let go of the throttle the bike slows down (5mph !) and careens forward with no sign of stopping. So, if my brakes failed, how the heck would I stop the FJRocket? I guess thats a part of it's smoothness.

Thanks all,

nate
Yes, yes you DO have a lot of questions.. :p

I'm new to the FJR, too, so I can't answer all of them.

1. My feej is comfortable in 5th down to about 60kph, (40mph), but for better control and engine braking at those speeds in traffic, I usually keep it in 4th. 3rd is great for passing, up to @ 200kph. The throttle is on the sensitive side, and demands a certain, shall we say, finesse!!!

2. Mine seems very well balanced turning in either direction. You may want to have this looked at by a reputable wrench. Or perhaps someone else here has an explanation/suggestion

3. I've always let mine warm up to at least one bar before rolling, and at least three bars before hitting the highway. My dirt and gravel driveway ends at a highway posted at 100kph, (55mph), so I like to have the bike thoroughly warmed before hand.

4. I hear nothing from my brakes. Have this checked out, IMO

5. I'm shorter by 2 or 3 inches, and find the windshield works well for me. I keep it in 'sport' mode most of the time, only raising it in rain or cold

6. Stock seat set low, handlebars in middle position here. I think all FJRs want to go faster than the legal limit. That's just the way the bike is…

7. I can fit my 15" macpro in my sidecase, by orienting it on an angle. I have the soft liners, and put the laptop in one of those neoprene sleeves for proection. I use a couple of t-shirts and my floppy hat to hold the computer at the angle. Incidentally, the manual states that the sidecases are not to be fitted if the bike is to be operated at >80mph! :yahoo:

8. I have a dual Rottweiler home security system. I have not yet parked the bike overnight anywhere else, but plan to get one of those alarm/disc locks for when I go touring next year.

9. There's a pretty extensive thread here somewhere on suspension settings. The wrench at the dealership set mine up for me according to my weight and semi-aggressive riding style.

10. My 2011 came with heated grips. I love them when the air gets chilly. I started riding mid-March, and it was a cold one.

11. I wear armored gloves which seem to protect my knuckles from the cold. The above-mentioned heated grips keep my hands toasty. The ladies say the gloves remind them of Darth Vader, and want to see my light saber…. :ph34r:

12. I just wear standard pull-on biker boots. I wear winter weight socks when it gets colder, and I have a pair of 'office' shoes to wear at work, because the riding boots ain't made for walkin'

13. !!??

14. Yes

15. Some kind of computer thingy that allows one to fine-tune the fueling system. I'm pretty happy with the way the bike runs stock

16. Order a service manual. It is expensive, and huge, and very technical. Buy a few good tools. Browse this and the other FJR forums for technical info and how-to guides.

17. There are adjustable side vents, one on each side of the fairing. When in the open position these allow more heat to be directed at the rider. I've never bothered with them, and prefer to just wear heavy winter pants under my leather

18. YES! FRAME SLIDERS!! INSTALL THEM NOW!!! They act much like engine case guards, and offer some protection to both bike and rider in case of a tip-over. Hopefully you'll never need them, but if you do they most certainly are necesssary. And they exude that 'sport biker' coolness.

19. I've worn out the OEM tires at 12,000km. I replaced them with Bridgestone BT-023-GTs and I really like them. The tire debate rages on, however….

20. I find the engine braking on my feej satisfactory, but negligible at slower speeds. I think that's not so bad, seeing as the throttle is so darn sensitive…

Check the Yamaha web site, you may be able to download a manual. I know current models are on the website.

On an older bike, you may or may not have the factory windshield. There are other options if you want something different.

Since I've only had my FJR for a week, I'll let more experienced riders respond to the other comments. Mine goes in for the 600 mile (700 actual) maintenance this morning.

Ken

Thanks all,

nate
Go HERE to read and download the owners manual. In the text below, if there is a dotted underline put your mouse pointer over the underlined text and a text box will pop open with supplemental text or an explanation.

1. Don't lug the engine and don't hit the rev limiter, anything else in between is all good.

2. How worn are the tires? Does the bike track straight? This is almost certainly worn tires.

3. Start the bike and ride away, there is no need to let it warm up, just don't ride it real hard until it has a bar or two showing. The fuel injection will let the engine perform just fine.

4. Check your front wheel and see how freely it spins. If the brakes are dragging too much the brake pistons should be cleaned. If it still drags the seals will need replacing.

5. The windshield was designed for the average guy, what ever that may be. It is up to the individual as to what they want out of the windshield. Some super-size, some cut down, some add a spacer block to the base of the windshield, some make cutouts, some use a laminar lip... there are lots of ways to alter the windshield. Only you can determine what works for you.

6. Search for risers, there are a several brands available, some are fairly inexpensive and fairly quick and easy to install on a Gen I. You will have options for UP only or UP and BACK.

7. There are no larger side cases, only smaller "city" cases. Givi top boxes are bigger than the OEM top box and have the appearance of being more aerodynamic. Look into soft bags like a Nelson Rigg also.

8. As a rule FJRs don't seem to be a large theft target. You can definitely park your FJR in places and ways that would vastly increase the chance though. A cover, even a half cover hides things from a casual passer-by. Outside of city limits I rarely see anyone secure their FJR. How paranoid are you? ;)

9. There are books worth of answers on this one. Typically it is set 'n forget. Search on preload and suspension -- be prepared for a huge amount of info. Set the preload for static and dynamic sag, the procedure is here in the Forum in many, many, many threads including one in the past couple of weeks.

10. Only you can determine this one. For me, heated grips first, with good gloves that have a thin palms. Many others will differ.

11. There are lots of good gloves, I can't help ya by saying this is THE one and only glove to have.

12. I keep a pair of dress shoes in my office and wear motorcycle boots to work. Similar answer as #11.

13. How about "different but just as good"?

14. Look at your bike as if for a full and through safety inspection. Change fluids. Do you have any idea as to your FJR's history?

15. Power Commander is made by Dynojet. It piggy-backs on the fuel injector signals and allows you to make changes to the fuel injection mapping while also making throttle control a bit easier, taking some abruptness out of the throttle and reducing or eliminating engine surging at light throttle openings.

16. In the newbie and FAQ section there are links to many sites which have detailed how-to's with pictures for just about everything you would want. In this Forum there are how-to's for just about everything you would want. Buy the FSM. The only OEM service manual is paper and comes from Yamaha. If the FSM is digital it is a stolen and therefore is a copy right violation. There are no service manuals from other sources like Clymer.

17. Like the windshield, there are many home brewed heat fixes. One easy one is to insulate the bottom of the gas tank which helps keep the tank cooler. Search for the Cromiet heat fix. Are you really bothered by the heat? Do you wear protective pants? Most people that wear protective gear don't really notice the hot air.

18. A frame slider helps protect things a bit in a moving accident and could make the difference between an insurance fix or a total. A tip-over guard limits damage in 0 mph driveway drops. Add either one as the first thing you do. Without either one a simple 0 mph drop could cost well over a thousand dollars if you fix all the scratched parts.

19. I ain't touchin' tires beyond saying to use a major brand at the correct inflation.

20. Is your throttle completely returning to the stop? Have your TBS checked. Because of an over-all gear ratio difference between your former and present motorcycle there may be significant differences between the two in compression braking feel, but the FJR should still have strong compression braking in the lower gears.

Last edited by a moderator:
The majoirity of your questions can be answered with the proper search technique. HERE is an example of how to search this site specifically via Google search engine.

I will chime in on the VStrom -vs- FJR specific questions.

I had the hand guards on the VStrom, and now have heated grips on the FJR. Even with grip puppies and winter gloves the Heated grips win hands down (no pun intended).

Windscreen.. If you compare the OEM screen to the POS VStrom life is grand on the FJR. I prefer OEM in the summer, and CalSci XL in the winter. I am 6'0" with 33 inseam.

Sounds like you will want a GIVI V46 (I had one on the Wee). It would barely hold 2 FF helmets, and will appear much smaller on the back of the FJR when compared to the VStrom.

Frame Sliders.. Do it now!

Hey Sochs,

That's got to be the longest post I've ever seen. Must have taken forever to write it. Once ya find out how to google-search the site, you'll find an unbelievable amount of info here. Good luck.

Gary

darksider #44

first gear. please note that you should first wash your hair in kerosene and have a match ready before attempting this.

2. Does the bike turn easier to the right than left? {Seems like when I turn right from a stop, the handle bars almost turn themselves into the corner. But not so much turning left. This only seems apparent at less than 10mph}

yes

long enough to put on your helmet and gloves unless trying to sneak out past the parents at 2:30am. then roll it down the road, start and go without waiting to get grounded until you get back home 2 days later. by that time, a week's grounding will be welcome while you recover.

don't ask - don't tell

that's more than 1 question.

A) Using a CAD system

B - D) yes. Observation on C - how can bugs find your face through your helmet?

E) no.

More with the multi-parters. Call your mother. She worries.

Using CAD with a "generic rider" profile.

The ones that address your preferences.

Yes. No. Perhaps. Those suck. Or bungie cords or a tablet/smart phone. laptops are SO last year.

8. Security-Anybody know the stats on stolen FJRs? My VStrom was agreed upon by VStrom riders as ugly. FJR is not-according to the swiveling heads over the last few days. Need I worry when traveling about the country? What do you guys do to keep your bike safe? Cables, alarms, location, VStrom motorcyle covers(lol) ??

No. Perhaps cautious awareness instead of "worry". Sleep with it in the hotel bed.

No (there are books on this subject. No space here. Rider dependent. The right wrist control. Keep it slow cause those fuckers are crazy-stupid with lane control.

Neither (2003 model here with neither). I use heated gloves.

All my stuff is Widder. Sadly Pat retired. I am personally loath to go with one popular brand so would look into Warm & Safe.

Oxtar Matrix (they are now renamed but if you look at New Enough they cross-reference the new name.

ah a non-question one to try and make up for the multi-parters that have gone before!

yes. no.

a programmable man-in-the-middle to your fuel injection. it takes the OEM factory tune and modifies the signals before they reach the injectors.

the tool department of Sears.

lots (google is your friend)

keep the frame from whacking the pavement so hard in a wreck. maybe.

a hot latina stripper? naw she'll piss you off eventually. a good dog that's already house broken? yeah! that's the ticket.

Yes it does. With PM and T-CLOCK why would your brakes fail?

Thanks all,

nate

u r welcome.

Those are all great newbie questions! You are going to have to learn to search this forum, as all the answers have been discussed at length here before and members are loath to rediscuss the same issue each time a new member joins. It's called jumping on a dogpile and I am trying not to jump. Most dogpiles occur on Fridays.

I would get framesliders on, they help slide the side(frame) of your bike on a crash or tip over, allowing your leg to remain attatched and also preventing scratches on the expensive plastic fairings. Those are a must-do, fast. Many people have tip overs on the bike because it is top heavy, mine was in my garage.

I bought handgaurds to block the wind, which when combined with the tourmaster winter gloves was all I needed in Wisconsin. Heated grips would have been nice, but they were alot more expensive and they don't protect against large bugs in the summer months nor wet rain.

As you research you'll end up farkling your bike better. Most people have several windshileds. I had the stock, yamaha touring and Calsci XL, the taller ones for colder weather.

Keep riding to find out what you like and need!

Thanks all,

nate
1. I use 3rd on 25 mph roads, 4th on 35 mph roads, and 5th on 45 mph and over. You start out in 2nd? I use first gear, I paid good money for it and I'm dam well gonna use it, besides this bike already gets beat up for having only 5 speeds, now you want to make it a 4 speed.

2. Mine turns the same in either direction unless I'm passing an establishment that serves adult beverages, then in turns easier in that direction. :p

3. I let it go to 1 bar just to ensure oil is everywhere it should be.

4. I'll get some noise after washing the bike, probably from some surface oxidation that occurs when the rotors get wet, or maybe just when the pads get wet, who knows. It goes silent after a few stops.

5. As previously stated probably on a CAD system, maybe CATIA or unigraphics or Pro E or autocad, hard to say. It was probably designed for the 95th percentile of Japan. I like to ride with mine all the way down.

6. See answer 5. As far as making it comfortable for you, play with the seat height and bar position. If you feel the bars are too low, there are several methods for raising and pulling them back to suit you. I'm 6' and have the seat low with the bars in the nuetral position.

7. If your hauling a laptop all the time, probably worth investing in a top case. I find the side cases very useful and easy to use, especially with the liners.

8. Don't know.

9. Don't know, mine is still at the settings it was delivered with. I haven't crashed and no appendages have fallen off so it must be o.k. :rolleyes:

10. I've got the heated grips, they're the cats pajamas unless the grandkids fiddle with the control on hot days before I go for a ride.

11. Can't answer that, find a pair that fit you well and go with them.

12. See answer 11. I wear tennis shoes.

13. Don't max the card out too quickly, take time to get to know the bike first.

14. If you don't know the mantenance history do engine and rear diff fluid changes, spark plugs and check air filter minimum. Beyond that address issues as you feel necessary, you know spongy brakes, do the fluid check brake lines etc etc.

15. Alters fuel delivery.

16. V-strom, FJR, phtttt.... all the same, just some parts are in different quantities in different locations.

17. Not that I know of.

18. Try the seat in the higher position. Frame sliders afford some protection for the bike in case of a tip over.

19. I refuse to get sucked into the tire debate.

20. Mine has pretty reasonable engine braking. As far as how to stop it if the brakes fail, well that's a tough question, kinda like how do I make it go if the engine won't run. :blink:

As for RPMs and gears to start in, remember this ain't no cruiser. 4500 is only about half red line. Don't ruin your clutch by lugging it. It comes to life around 5000 rpm.

@silver and Dr. Bones - Thanks

@ion Briliant - I got the manual.

@Scotty Yeah I know how to use the google thing. Just got carried away when 'logging' my experience. Sure helps to jsut come to one thread and you guys have pretty much taken care all my initial issues. Who knew - the FJR forum members are perhaps the best Co-pilots on the web. And there I thought The Vstrom guys ruled. It was cold enough today that on the Vstrom WITH hand guards I would have had cold knickles. But not so today with no gloves. I think a great set of gloves and liner might take care of it all. save the price of heated grips for top case. Freaking OEM windscreen definitely lows away the VStrom. With ear plugs and my modular closed, I mostly hear the bike purring.

@Bounce -What is lugging? I assume doing 5mph in 5th gear is an xtrme example of lugging ?

@Bounce -What is lugging? I assume doing 5mph in 5th gear is an xtrme example of lugging ?
idle is 1100 rpm. i'd say anything leaves you below 3k would be in the ball park. 3500 is coasting and is nearly unloaded. crank the thing up to about 6 grand to see what it will do. remember the red line is 9000 so you're fine all the way to 8 routinely. some people bounce off the rev limiter regularly but i tend not to think of that as abuse (in spite of the engineers putting the rev limit below some point where it will grenade). if you've not played around above 5500 then you don't know the bike. it ain't your grandparent's v-twin.

idle is 1100 rpm. i'd say anything leaves you below 3k would be in the ball park. 3500 is coasting and is nearly unloaded. crank the thing up to about 6 grand to see what it will do. remember the red line is 9000 so you're fine all the way to 8 routinely. some people bounce off the rev limiter regularly but i tend not to think of that as abuse (in spite of the engineers putting the rev limit below some point where it will grenade). if you've not played around above 5500 then you don't know the bike. it ain't your grandparent's v-twin.

Yeah I definitely don't know my bike - -that well. I was doing a speedometer check -making sure the gauge was working at least to 120. But I havent really ever watched the tachometer, eyes were on the road simultaneously rolling in my head from the motorgasm.

The compression braking from an in-line 4 cylinder engine compared to a V-twin will never be comparable. Different engine dynamics, different piston speed, different stroke and swept ring area.

If you want more compression braking from your FJR engine you'll have to downshift to bring the engine RPMs higher.

Once you are more accustomed to the bike you'll do more things "automatically", just as you did with the V-strom.

nate
Big FJR Tire Poll

Yeah I definitely don't know my bike - -that well. I was doing a speedometer check -making sure the gauge was working at least to 120. But I havent really ever watched the tachometer, eyes were on the road simultaneously rolling in my head from the motorgasm.

@Bounce - Actually, I do know my bike somewhat. Turns out I have been 5000+ around some of my favorite roads. Just hadn't paid much attention to the tach.

@Bounce - Actually, I do know my bike somewhat. Turns out I have been 5000+ around some of my favorite roads. Just hadn't paid much attention to the tach.

Selling my Sargent seat and backrest in order to grab a GIVI top case and bar risers.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=141132&st=0

Lots of reasonable questions and lots of good answers. My 2 cents: don't change anything until you've put a couple of thousand miles on her, including some long days. After you get accustomed to a bike that is intentionally somewhat different from the one you just came from, then you can decide what really needs to be addressed,