FINALLY! R1 back on the road....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing is just pissed. Straight up siiick. I'm in love for certain. As they say...all the right parts in all the right places.

All the sweet subtle mods make that already sick bike even sicker. Nice werk WC.

Sadly....my XR400R would spank it. :D :D

WC,

I think you need to install a set of gold colored titanium brake rotor fasteners to really highlight the gold wheels! B)

Same as you installed on your BB.

It never ends!!!!!!!!!!

Those wheels are the stuff, saw a pair in person last night on an FZ1, Veeeery nice. Have any soundbytes of the LV?

Yo, Vancosport, we don't do sponsors here. Ditch the logos in the sig line, por favor. That's very annoying - even more than me!

Thanks.

gold is pretty sweet against the red, isn't it?
Dam skippy. Love it!

104ev4h.jpg

She seems very at home on the track, too.

104mgm1.jpg

The suspension's a wee bit harsh on regular backroads.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
This ain't really a regular back road that you were riding last week :)
Right... that road wouldn't be the ordinary backroad, would it? :D

Naturally it was a bit rough on *that* road... but not much more than on the kidney-punching super-slab.

(Oh, is that you David?)

:)

hey wc

you wanna move that rear axle back as far as you can get it. take my word for it, the bike will turn in so much better then ever has ;)

see how much more room is on the 06 swingarms!

you may need to add a link or 2 to make that possible.

hey wc
you wanna move that rear axle back as far as you can get it. take my word for it, the bike will turn in so much better then ever has ;)
You know, Apex, I believe you have a good point here, because the turn-in is, in fact, something I am not 100% happy with on my R1. At first I thought I was just unfairly comparing it with my old CBR929 (a bike that has blazing fast, almost telepathic steering) and was also blaming the stock Dunlop 218s, tires that are complete shit in every way.

But even with the lighter Carrozzeria wheels and the Qualifier tires, the turn-in is more effort than it should be, IMO.

And since I went up a tooth in the back, I'll definitely have to add a link or two to the chain, no question. :(

hey wc

You know, Apex, I believe you have a good point here, because the turn-in is, in fact, something I am not 100% happy with on my R1. At first I thought I was just unfairly comparing it with my old CBR929 (a bike that has blazing fast, almost telepathic steering) and was also blaming the stock Dunlop 218s, tires that are complete shit in every way.

But even with the lighter Carrozzeria wheels and the Qualifier tires, the turn-in is more effort than it should be, IMO.

And since I went up a tooth in the back, I'll definitely have to add a link or two to the chain, no question. :(
try adding in some more ride hight too (the rear shock-i'm not sure if its still the oem or not). that will also help out, and try 2mm increase until your happy. i would not go more then 7-8mm when its all said and done (at that point your swingarm angle will change and you don't want to change that).

btw, i dig the rear rotor...SWEET!

i have a brembo 19x18 mc if your ready to upgrade to one (new never used $200 shipped w/the correct banjo bolt for dual lines).

Very nice WC, you have a very serious toy habbit.

Never owned an R1 but when i installed Pilot Powers on my GSXR-1000 turn-ins became as you said "telepathic". I couldn't believe the change in steering when i went to these tires, Gixxer was always a bit heavy steering up to that point, after; it felt like an R6 yet gave up nothing in stability.

:blink: Just dawned on me... is the "Clean Bike = Gay Bike" not applicable to the R1? Inquiring minds want to know.... :blink:

:blink: Just dawned on me... is the "Clean Bike = Gay Bike" not applicable to the R1?
Absolutely not.... this phrase only applies to bikes that are designed/ridden for the Long Haul. Doesn't apply to show bikes/track bikes, etc., which garner a trivial amount of mileage compared to a serious touring machine. B)

:blink: Just dawned on me... is the "Clean Bike = Gay Bike" not applicable to the R1?
Absolutely not.... this phrase only applies to bikes that are designed/ridden for the Long Haul. Doesn't apply to show bikes/track bikes, etc., which garner a trivial amount of mileage compared to a serious touring machine. B)
Kinda like skooter's work boots and patten leather, high healed pumps, then, eh? :D