First BBG Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like he refueled at Prince William Rd. (635) (?)Does he have an aux tank?

He made that stretch on the 1st western leg in around 4 hrs 8 mins, he has 4 hrs 52 mins remaining.

I like his chances !
punk.gif
No aux fuel tank. I had planned on stopping at Montmagny for gas on this stretch, but several things changed my mind. I was a little behind my schedule for the turn as I took an extended gas stop for some rest. I actually found the ride in to the turn around one of the hardest parts. Then, I reentered the highway into some stop and go traffic for a few miles. This cost me a few more minutes so I was anxious about time. However, I had an incredible tail wind and was getting 50+ mpg (the little US gallon at that!) and combined this with a couple excellent rabbits and I decided to push on to the Irving Big Stop I knew was there just past Riviere Du Loup.

Thanks everyone for all the support. Sorry for taking so long for the epilog. I went straight home and to bed, and slept through to just after 7am (this is the longest un-interrupted sleep I have had in years!). Then my pager went off and I had to go put out a car fire. In my still exhausted state, that was a challenge. Family time since then and spotty internet at home mean I just now got to read all your posts. I find it pretty cool that you all followed along and speculated on my stops.

I made it with about 20 minutes or so to spare. My gas stops took much longer than they should have, but there always seemed to be something to that needed attention (phone, Sena, GPS, etc.). The ride was hard, but I am certainly glad I did it. It is the next step up the ladder for distance, so I guess next I will have to try some sort of coast to coast ride. That will likely have to wait a few years though. Family and work make it difficult to get away for more than a day at a time on my own. When the kids are a little older maybe I can try a Trans Canada Gold.

I may try to write up a little ride report in the next few days to describe my trip. No pics though, there was no time for that. Thanks again for following along!

Looks to me like he fuelled just southeast of Riviere-du-Loup and then again in Prince William (near Fredericton) - a distance of 340 km (212 miles). Pretty sure he doesn't have an auxiliary tank. Should be OK for that distance on regular tank, even at the pace he is running. He will need one more gas stop before he gets back (plus one for the final receipt).
I stopped just after passing Riviere-du-Loup as Ross notes. If I had kept getting the mileage I just had on the last leg I could have made it with one more stop. However, I lost my tail wind and also figured I had lots of time for two stops. I then broke it roughly into thirds and stopped near Fredericton and then in Sackville. The Sackville stop was very timely as by that point I couldn't see through the bugs on my windscreen (I ride behind a big barn door V-stream).

As I mentioned, you could have stopped as early as Moncton or you could have waited as late as Truro - not enough to make Halifax from Prince William unless you had the luxury of running less than 100 km/hr all the way (470 km, 293 mi). Sackville is a pretty good place to stop - easy off and back on the highway compared to some other possibilities.

The ride was hard, but I am certainly glad I did it. It is the next step up the ladder for distance, so I guess next I will have to try some sort of coast to coast ride. That will likely have to wait a few years though. Family and work make it difficult to get away for more than a day at a time on my own. When the kids are a little older maybe I can try a Trans Canada Gold.
I highly recommend the Trans Canada Gold !

While somebody might talk me into something like the Trans Canada Quest (90 hours), The Gold (75 hours) is beyond my endurance range!!

Unlike you (and BluenoseFJR), I am content with some of the less extreme distance runs - no BBG or the like in my near future!

I have the utmost respect for those who wish to (and are able to) meet these personal challenges.

I made it with about 20 minutes or so to spare. My gas stops took much longer than they should have, but there always seemed to be something to that needed attention (phone, Sena, GPS, etc.). The ride was hard, but I am certainly glad I did it. It is the next step up the ladder for distance, so I guess next I will have to try some sort of coast to coast ride.
A perfect example of how gadgets can have their down sides too.

It may be obvious to you now but the BBG is probably the most difficult of all IB rides (excluding multiple, back-to-back BBGs).

More than once, I've done a quick clean of just the top 3rd of my windshield. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
BluenoseFJR posted: I made it with about 20 minutes or so to spare. My gas stops took much longer than they should have, but there always seemed to be something to that needed attention (phone, Sena, GPS, etc.). The ride was hard, but I am certainly glad I did it. It is the next step up the ladder for distance, so I guess next I will have to try some sort of coast to coast ride.
Yeah, gas stops less than 15 minutes are tough to come by. Bathroom, fiddle with gadgets, refill Camelback, eat something, check the map, .... and put gas in the tank. Amazing how much time is consumed by three or four simple tasks.

<tip of the hat> Congratulations, brother!

Drop the "eat something". It's a 24 hour ride. Have snacks in the tank bag and water on the bike. Gas, receipt check, go.
Grabbing something to eat is more time consuming then most think. For me, My tank bag has a screw off container of cashews, a screw off

container of Twizzlers Licorice nibs and individual bags of welches fruit chews, and Dentine fire gum as a minimum. Most of my rides are multi

day. Having them prior to the start of the ride will save you time and money.

Drinking jug with water is a must. (Mine is mounted on the passenger peg.) On a extreme ride, 5 minutes should be enough time from wheel

stop to wheels rolling again. Restroom breaks are the only exception.

Drop the "eat something". It's a 24 hour ride. Have snacks in the tank bag and water on the bike. Gas, receipt check, go.
Grabbing something to eat is more time consuming then most think. For me, My tank bag has a screw off container of cashews, a screw off

container of Twizzlers Licorice nibs and individual bags of welches fruit chews, and Dentine fire gum as a minimum. Most of my rides are multi

Drinking jug with water is a must. (Mine is mounted on the passenger peg.) On a extreme ride, 5 minutes should be enough time from wheel

I went with O'Henry and Crunchie bars in the tank bag along with some containers of trail mix. The chocolate bars I could eat on the fly and found the process of opening/eating one at 70 mph to really perk me up. The trail mix was at the pump, and I need to either get a Camelbak or rig up a thermos for hydration if/when I do one of these rides again.

I avoid sugary candies and fatty McFat burgers and burritos. All will make you crash/sleepy. I tried Power Bars but they get gooie in the heat. Cliff Bars work great; as does beef jerky and any trail mix that doesn't include candy.

I did my water as a DIY project based on something similar I'd seen Ron Smith (of the aux tank fame) make.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/hyd/hyd.html

I know you got your fruit chews, Tony, but geez, don't forget your heated gear. I kid, I kid. Inserting happy face emoji

I did my water as a DIY project based on something similar I'd seen Ron Smith (of the aux tank fame) make.
I've thinking of something like this as well. I'm a little hesitant though, because I often use my passenger pegs. I hook my feet over them sometimes to change leg position and seating angle. I believe this is required because of my most important need, which is a new seat. The stock seat does a number on me after a ride like this, so until I can get a seat I'll hold off on the water jug. I may just go with a Camelbak or similar hydration back pack.

I've thinking of something like this as well. I'm a little hesitant though, because I often use my passenger pegs. I hook my feet over them sometimes to change leg position and seating angle. I believe this is required because of my most important need, which is a new seat. The stock seat does a number on me after a ride like this, so until I can get a seat I'll hold off on the water jug. I may just go with a Camelbak or similar hydration back pack.
I got one of these as an insulated lower cost alternative to the Camelbak (2 Litres)

https://www.amazon.ca/Hydration-Backpack-Insulation-Multiple-Compartment/dp/B072Q453ZK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1530146817&sr=8-10&keywords=camelbak%2Bhydration%2Bpack&th=1

71G7JA2mngL._SL1206_.jpg

I deal with that 3 ways... Russell, highway pegs, standing and stretching every 20 minutes. I tried a camel back and

1. Don't like the weight on me for distance riding

2. Don't like it in the tank bag because a lot of my stuff routes through there for power

3. Don't like how quickly the water gets hot

Last edited by a moderator:
Camelbak is in my tank bag. A retractor (from a security badge) attached near the bite valve keeps the hose from dangling very far. I can -- but don't have to -- stuff the hose back into the tank bag. No gas station has denied my request to put in crushed ice and water.

All powered stuff is on the superbly functional dashboard shelf from N-Line.