First Month Break In Report.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getsum

Reaction score
Well, today makes one month since I picked up my ’05 ABS and I wanted to give a report. I’ve put 1100 miles on the bike and that is mostly on some of the local motorcycle routes in San Diego County. I still haven’t had a chance to take a ride out to Palomar Mountain or Borrego Springs yet, but I was able to do other rides like out to Campo, Julian via the 67, 79, S1 and through Wildcat Canyon, Otay Lakes, Japatul and Dehesa. I’ve opened it up to 6500 rpm in 5th briefly on Scripps Poway Parkway and that was effortlessly, this bike has plenty of cruising power.

I’ve also purposely felt the ABS a few times by doing some fast stops here and there and it’s extremely smooth. I can barely fell the pulse as were the ABS on my truck pulses like crazy.

The bike handles great and I’m comfortable on it. I measured the chicken strips and I have just under a ½” on the back and about 1” on the front which is good because I’ve been taking it easy learning my bike for the most part.

I have zero complaints so far and the only modifications I’ve done so far adding the Helmet Guardian locks and some stealth 3M reflective tape to the saddlebags and top case. But I have a long list of other modifications I’m planning on doing as my budget permits. Things like adding:

1. Factory heated grips, and a Throttlemeister,

2. Motovation No Cut Frame Sliders.

3. Garmin 376C with XM radio on a locking Touratech Mount with a Techmount Stem Mount.

4. Passport 8500 radar detector on a Techmount Mirror Base Mount.

5. Convex Sportshield for the summer months.

6. Powerlet Right Front Panel Kit and the Dual Rearset Kit.

7. Bluetooth when it becomes available.

That should keep me busy and broke for a while. <_<

I’m hoping I can take a ride out to Fort Worth, Texas to see my brother and a trip to South Lake Tahoe, Nevada to visit my dad before the year is out.

Anyway, it’s a great bike and it’s two thumbs up from me.

Congrads on your new bike, Getsum! :D

You may want to reconsider altering some of your vendors on your farkle list.

The majority of the FJR riders (myself included) went the Mokos TOG route for their bike protection. Pulling the fairing panels is pretty straight forward and a good time to do some of your heat mods and wiring underneath, if you are so inclined.

I installed the factory heated grips on my bike and found them effective but potentially uncomfortable due to their rock hard composition.

Other members have installed handgrip heating elements on THEIR choice of aftermarket grips, quite successfully, at a fraction of the cost. I'm sure members will be happy to steer you in the right direction for this farkle or any other you might be considering.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. You wouldn't happen to have a link for the Mokos TOG, I haven't been able to find them?

Best Sliders For Fjr

Try this topic in the search engine. This was a pretty good thread. Or Type in MOKO to get all of the posts.

Hmm, sorry for being a pain in the ass.

I had already been to https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/MokoSliders.html and from there went to the FJR1300 site at Wild Hair:

https://www.whaccessories.com/YamahaFJR1300accessories.htm

What I didn't realize at first that the GSG-Moto Crash Protector were the MOKO sliders recommended earlier. I do see that now though, but now I have an additional question.

All three are basically the same style and type as far as being no cut, and then removing the fairing to mount the slider bracket in place. Installation is damn near identical on all three . So here are my options:

GSG-Moto Crash Protector (AKA MOKO) - $175.

Metisse Crash - $185 Add $20 for Aluminum Anodized Titanium or Blue

Motovation No Cut Frame Sliders - $159

Is there something I'm missing because all 3 appear to be of similar quality and construction with Metisse coming out ahead because they look better and the actual slider is machined aluminum vice the plastic sliders on the Motovation and Moko.

I'm leaning towards ordering a set of the Metisse now in polished aluminum because I think they'd look the best on the '05.

Damn, I think I'm over thinking this. :bigeyes:

I bought the GSG's from wild hair. After that, I found that AF1 racing had the Motovations for about 35 bucks cheaper. My friend who previously had the TOGS(DO NOT BUY THESE- WHAT AN INSUBSTANTIAL POS) and broke one off bought from AF1. They appear to be virtually the same, and less expensive. WE haven't tested either one out yet(thankfully), but the only difference seemed to be that the motovations had a longer puck. I read that the MEtisse, even though cooler looking, do not work in a situation as well as the plastic ones. Something about the aluminum transferring impact instead of absorbing it, and not arresting the bike as well as the plastic. The black pucks look ok on the 05. That blue makes anything look better. Previous posts on the other forum with some after crash pics convinced me that these were plastic savers.

Ride safe.

Getsum, I concur with Bob. Stay with what has worked in the past for other members on safety/crash related products. :erm:

Great info Bob, thanks man.

I'm going to order a set of the GSG, try to add a radiator guard and the Throttlemeister at the same time and work on the rest later. I know people have been mentioning the heat fix, but it just hasn’t been in an issue for me and I’m counting on that heat to help keep me warm as I ride into work at 0500 each day.

Has anyone experienced warmer engine temps by adding the radiator guards? I was worried about the guard partially obstructing airflow.

Getsum you are making the rite decision in trying to protect your investment (fjr). As the togs, yes it may have broke, but how much damage to the bike if it tipped or went down? Or was it in a wreck? I have a pair of togs and I known exactly what they are suppose to do, break the fall and that is all ,when they

broke they did what they were intended to do is to take the initial impact and cushion the impack. Now the better way to help in a fall would be a pair of togs and the sliders, remember if it is a tip over or a fall from impact both will help. If your bike hits a cager or the cager hits you while you are moving and your bike goes down what is that metal slider going to do slide or dig into the blacktop? I personally want mine to take the impact and break. No matter which a person choses he loses just helps lower the repair bill .good luckand enjoy your new fjr

B)

I highly suggested Farkels, are 138 db MAN horns instead of the shriek of a rat that is about to die stock horns. A radiator guard. Your bike moving 100+ and road crap impacts projected back have damaged a few. It could be a long wait as they are not a stocked item. A 'Fenda Extenda will cut the sandblasting of the lower fairing. Ride Safe! TJ

Yep, motovation and Moko's are the same thing. I have had both.

Yep, Yami factory grip heaters suck. Very hard rubber. Very large reostat controller. Dual Star heated grip elements with heat-troller are much better.

Everything else looks good.