First Ride Impression / Feed Back Appreciated

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA.Rob&Kim

Reaction score
I just purchased an 07 FJR with 10,000 miles on it. This bike is in excellent condition and well taken care of. After riding it for the first time, it was certianly a very big change from the sportbikes I'm used to riding and I have a few questions that I would appreciate some feed back on. I plan on making whatever upgrades are necessary during the winter.

Upgrades Currently On Bike

Bailey Windscreen

Seargent Seat - First bike I ever owned that my a$$ didn't hurt! :D

Aftermarket Luggage Rack / Don't know what kind but it's aluminium, black and has FJR cut out in the middle of it. Actually pretty trick.

Aftermarket triple tree. Bars higher and further back.

Wind protection was good with the aftermarket Bailey windscreen but it seemed to move (vibarate) a lot. Do I have to worry about this cracking or this some upgrade that needs to be done to make it more stable?

Right off of idle there is an abrupt power delivery (jerk) as you get on the throttle coming out of the corners. Will a power commander rectify this or is there another fix?

Upgrades / Aftermarket

Exhaust - I'm thinking of getting the Two Brothers V.A.L.E. Are they excessively loud? I like the exhaust to be a little on the loud side but not obnoxious.

Top Case - I've been looking at getting a Givi but didn't see that they offered one that was color matched. Also, is the backrest for the top case suffient (comfortable enough) or is there another option?

Headlight - I want to get one of those pulsating type headlights but have no idea what they are called, how much or what's involved to install. I'm sure it's more complicated than a simple bulb replacement.

Communication - This is another area that's new to me. I want to get something that the wife and I can communicate but I insist on full faced helmets, don't want alot of wires and would also want GPS and MP3 player heard through the communicator as well.

Suspension (Rear) - I weigh 210 and the wife is 150. Is the stock suspension going to be adequate for this load or do I need to upgrade? I've always upgraded the rear shock of all my sportbikes but that was more performance driven than weight. I don't think the wife is going to want to go railing around the corners but I don't want the front end to feel light and the rear end felling like it's going to bottom out or sag all the time.

Vibration - Will handle bar weights cure or significantly reduce the vibration at around 4,300rpm or is there another solution?

......Well that's all for now. Thanks in advance for your input!

I just purchased an 07 FJR with 10,000 miles on it. This bike is in excellent condition and well taken care of. After riding it for the first time, it was certianly a very big change from the sportbikes I'm used to riding and I have a few questions that I would appreciate some feed back on. I plan on making whatever upgrades are necessary during the winter.

Bailey Windscreen

Aftermarket Luggage Rack / Don't know what kind but it's aluminium, black and has FJR cut out in the middle of it. Actually pretty trick.

Wind protection was good with the aftermarket Bailey windscreen but it seemed to move (vibarate) a lot. Do I have to worry about this cracking or this some upgrade that needs to be done to make it more stable?

Right off of idle there is an abrupt power delivery (jerk) as you get on the throttle coming out of the corners. Will a power commander rectify this or is there another fix?

Upgrades / Aftermarket

Exhaust - I'm thinking of getting the Two Brothers V.A.L.E. Are they excessively loud? I like the exhaust to be a little on the loud side but not obnoxious.

Top Case - I've been looking at getting a Givi but didn't see that they offered one that was color matched. Also, is the backrest for the top case suffient (comfortable enough) or is there another option?

Headlight - I want to get one of those pulsating type headlights but have no idea what they are called, how much or what's involved to install. I'm sure it's more complicated than a simple bulb replacement.

Communication - This is another area that's new to me. I want to get something that the wife and I can communicate but I insist on full faced helmets, don't want alot of wires and would also want GPS and MP3 player heard through the communicator as well.

Suspension (Rear) - I weigh 210 and the wife is 150. Is the stock suspension going to be adequate for this load or do I need to upgrade? I've always upgraded the rear shock of all my sportbikes but that was more performance driven than weight. I don't think the wife is going to want to go railing around the corners but I don't want the front end to feel light and the rear end felling like it's going to bottom out or sag all the time.

Vibration - Will handle bar weights cure or significantly reduce the vibration at around 4,300rpm or is there another solution?

Here is my feedback:

Windscreen - My stock and touring screens both "move". Hard to tell you whether yours is abnormal without seeing it actually doing it. It is not likely to crack without severe vibration. Hell, they pop of the bike an a wreck without cracking.

Throttle abruptness is an issue that has been discussed at length on this year. There is a throttle tube upgrade that helps and I think the PC may have helped some. I have neither and either I don't have the problem on my bike or I just don't notice it.

Exhaust - I have seen and heard a number of different aftermarket exhausts. Some have a little throstier sound but none are really loud. Mine is stock.

Top Case- I have a GIVI with the backrest and my wife finds it perfectly adequate. The rack sounds like one of Duane's from Premier Motorcycle Accessories (Great person to deal with, as well as, FJR owner and Forum member)

Headlight- What you are looking for is a headlight modulator.

Communication - We use the Scals Rider teamset. It is Bluetooth connected to my cell. I don't use it for anything else but phone and helmet to helmet. Scala G4 has the cpability you are looking for, but cost a lot more.

Suspension - I have read a lot about suspension here on the forum. from what I have gleened it seems that after 20k you start losing performance in both the rear and forks. There are a lot of options for rebuilds and upgrades. I suggest searching the forum for it. There is also an Ohlins group buy going on right now.

Vibration - Every bike has vibration. Every rider has a different tolerance for it. Bar end weights help some. Crampbuster, throttle lock, differnt grips (grip puppies) can help to relax hand.

Bailey Windscreen

Upgrades / Aftermarket

Here is my feedback:

Windscreen - My stock and touring screens both "move". Hard to tell you whether yours is abnormal without seeing it actually doing it. It is not likely to crack without severe vibration. Hell, they pop of the bike an a wreck without cracking.

Throttle abruptness is an issue that has been discussed at length on this year. There is a throttle tube upgrade that helps and I think the PC may have helped some. I have neither and either I don't have the problem on my bike or I just don't notice it.

Exhaust - I have seen and heard a number of different aftermarket exhausts. Some have a little throstier sound but none are really loud. Mine is stock.

Top Case- I have a GIVI with the backrest and my wife finds it perfectly adequate. The rack sounds like one of Duane's from Premier Motorcycle Accessories (Great person to deal with, as well as, FJR owner and Forum member)

Headlight- What you are looking for is a headlight modulator.

Communication - We use the Scals Rider teamset. It is Bluetooth connected to my cell. I don't use it for anything else but phone and helmet to helmet. Scala G4 has the cpability you are looking for, but cost a lot more.

Suspension - I have read a lot about suspension here on the forum. from what I have gleened it seems that after 20k you start losing performance in both the rear and forks. There are a lot of options for rebuilds and upgrades. I suggest searching the forum for it. There is also an Ohlins group buy going on right now.

Vibration - Every bike has vibration. Every rider has a different tolerance for it. Bar end weights help some. Crampbuster, throttle lock, differnt grips (grip puppies) can help to relax hand.
A throttle body Sync goes a long way towards clearing up the vibes. Handlebar weights help too...

Pete

:clapping: Welcome to the forum. :clapping:

Yes, it's a much larger machine and heavier than any sportbike you've ridden. Enjoy the "new bike" learning curve!

Bailey Windscreen

The rack sounds like one from this source: Premier Cycle Accessories

The windshields DO move around in the wind. Although I haven't seen yours, they all do it. Just to be certain, at some time when you meet another FJR or attend a meeting or group ride in your area, compare yours with another.

A Power COmmander should help. YOu might want to read through some of the information in this link: abrupt throttle site:fjrforum.com

Upgrades / Aftermarket

1.) Everyone has their own opinon about slip-ons. If you can wait, listen to other FJRs and pick one you like.

2.) You should be able to order a color matched top for the Givi. SOme of us just use the "matte" black.

3.) Modulator: Kisan Pathblazer

4.) There are bluetooth enabled helmet mount systems.

5.) You are also going to want to consider the weight of loaded luggage. At 10k miles you are nearing the end of the service life of the OEM shock. All major shock manufacturers offer shocks for the FJR. Look through the "Group Buy" section to see what's been offered before. Linky Thingy

6.) Heavy bar end weights will alleviate the vibration. I also installed aftermarket grips (Gel, IIRC).

Caution, perhaps the Favorite Sport on the forum is enabling helping another owner empty his/her bank account while personalizing their new-to-them FJR. :yahoo:

It's a free service offered to all members. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The top case ----- IMHO the backrest will not be needed. The back armor in wifey's jacket will be all she needs, plus she will have more room between you both.

Suspension ---- many on the forum have upgraded to aftermarket. It really changes the handling of the FJR quite considerably. I went Hyperpro and love it. Others are using Traxxion, Penske, etc and swear by them.

Just my 02c worth for you. You'll receive many more replies I'm sure

Oh !! And welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Repeating, perhaps. '07 and '08 had an odd throttle cam shape which is "repaired" by the G2 throttle tube, which basically changes the cable pull to make it linear again. Still EFI and lean mixtures for emissions result in abrubt off-idle throttle, which is easily remedied by a Power Commander and a generic fuel map. For some bucks you can get your Power Commander matched to your bike, probably a good idea if you go with new cans.

If your SO is properly geared, the packrest pad on the top case will just be in the way, and steal a precious couple of inches from her space back there. The back pad in her jacket will suffice.

We've used a Scala Rider Teamset, BT to the phone, but nothing else. It's not stereo so music would suck anyway. (I've played music through it from my WinMo phone just to see, and mono sucks. :) ) Wireless intercom was very useful, and I really don't care about GPS audio; I turn it off in the car, and don't have it on the bike. Personal preference. As stated before, wireless stereo music, GPS, phone, and intercom will be $$$$$$$.

Throttle body sync, and making sure the main engine mount bolts are properly torqued, and torqued in the right sequence, will go a long way towards vibration ills and buzzing.

And here's a few links in my signature line to help. Adjust the suspension to the settings in the thread below for a great start. Usually the rear shock will be ok for about 25k miles. I'm at 22k and still it feels ok for us. We ride 99% 2up so it's getting a good workout. We are close to the same combined weight.

The G2 throttle tube works better than stock along with the throttle return spring unwind. If your right hand doesn't hurt and go numb your throttle spring may have already been unwound. Maybe you can ask the previous owner. Also get a cramp buster to rest you hand on and a throttle lock so your hand can rest once in a while. I have the heavy throttlemeister and it works great. Used ones come up for sale on here once in a while.

Windshield will always rattle a little since it's on a movable bracket. For our height I'm 5'6" the stock is awesome for us. Very little rattle coming from it. Maybe the bigger windshields rattle more. Used windshields for sale on here as well.

My wife prefers the backrest without the Givi sold by PremierCycles.com. It is hard to swing a leg over climbing on for her. I as well would rather have a tail bag than a trunk. Just something you have to think about and decide.

Congrats on the new bike and enjoy!

Man I hope I got these paragraphs formatted correctly. :yahoo: