First Ride on my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugz4

Reaction score
Don't hate me...I own a new HD Fat Boy...but I've wanted an FJR since a buddy has been extolling the virtues for a couple of years now. One kind member caught a reply online and sent me an email telling me he was ready to move us a year or two and wondered if I'd be interested in his 07. I was. Brian is a great guy and we got comfortable with each other over the phone and via email pretty quickly. After a few conversations, a lot of pictures and a duffle full of cash, I hopped an AirTran flight on the 4th and Brian met me at the airport.

The bike was even better than described.(I love it when that happens) Brian was careful to go over everything I needed to know and I changed into my riding gear in the high 90 degree Atlanta weather and launched about 11am.

I can honestly say that I have never been as hot as I was on the first leg of the trip up to Cincinnati. I ran into some rain for about an hour enroute and didn't bother with my rain gear. I was completely dry an hour after the storm!

The bike ran flawlessly...getting 47.5 mpg running at 70-80. I did have one little scare when the oil light came on momentarily. Brian had just changed the oil so I thought sending unit perhaps as i made my way to the shoulder. Oil was full...come to find out that this is a known issue albeit a frustrating one. After a reassuring call with Brian I set out again and made it as far as Cincinnati.

That morning was bright, but forboding to the north...right where I was going. This time i donned the rain gear and caught up with the rain before Columbus...drove in it til Cleveland. It was my first extended period of riding in the rain and not altogether unpleasant.

At 57 I just don't have the stamina I once had so the second leg I stopped more to hydrate and rest my right wrist. All I can say is wow...the throttle is tight! I have to fix that!

Pulled into Rochester at 5pm with one dirty bike, but very happy to be home. just over 1000 miles in a day and a half. It was a memorable first ride on my FJR.

Welcome to the FJR land of speed and handling, dugz4. But unless you're really tall, you will see a big difference in the top weight of a sport tourer. Just beware dropping it in the driveway. Also beware the constant pressure it puts on your wallet to buy farkles.

PS, I still ride my cruiser too.

Paul

I tried riding home 11 days ago through tropical storm Debbie... and discovered that though the FJR ran like a top, my helmet and rain gear wasn't up to the task. Turned out the jacket was too loose around the neck and the face shield fogged up badly. Now that I've got a bike capable of going through the rain with such ease , I need to upgrade my OTHER equipment... Decisions, decisions.

Congrats on the new (to you) bike. It should give you a zillion miles of fun. Ride safe, and if you don't have sliders on it, get em on now. They're cheap, and they'll save those precious side panels of the fairing in the event of a driveway tip over.

Concerning all that heat, maybe ya oughta get a cooling vest? Do a Google search for cooling vests on the FJR forum.

Gary

darksider #44

Thanks for the ride report. And all those pictures! Wow! :p

You'll make the bike your own soon. I just helped a friend replace the throttle tube with a G2 throttle tube with modified cam. The roll on is much smoother and safer. As inexpensive as that is, you might want to consider it, along with some kind of throttle lock (Throttlemeister).