FJR 1300 Comparison To Sports Bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slo-ride

slo-ride
Reaction score
I now have 4000 miles on my 2007 FJR and I've smiled the entire way. This is a wonderful machine. Fast, quick off the line, easy to handle, looks great, rides great, etc... This is my first and only street bike so I really have nothing to compare my experiences to and was wondering how an FJR compares to a "crotch rocket" (pick your favorite brand). I mean, I see these kids riding these things all hunched over and such and they look quite uncomfortable - at least for me. I wonder why anyone would ride one when an FJR is surely fast and nimble enough for the masses plus it has side bags. :clapping:

So, would one choose a crotch rocket for even more performance? Is the difference that large?

Thanks!

So, would one choose a crotch rocket for even more performance? Is the difference that large?
Thanks!

Yes. For all it's performance fun, the FJR is still a large heavy "touring" bike. It is simply power to weight ratios and mass here.

"crotch rockets" are lighter, and thus potentialy faster. Less mass means faster thru the turns...(yes these are general statements)

If a Harley is an old pick up truck , and a FJR is a Ferrarri, then a liter class pure sport bike is a formula one car...

Faster is faster, your taste for speed seems to be satisfied with the FJR, but take a ride on a R1 or something and the diffrence will be quickly appearent.

KM

True. My need for speed is quite satisfied. I figured those sport bikes must really have some kick to them but I just did not know how much. Well, it's safe to say that I'll not be getting any bike that can't carry two gallons of milk, a loaf of bread, and a pound of sliced turkey. :unsure:

I'm a dad.

Of three.

Family of 5 :blink:

We eat a bunch of food and grocery runs are on my way home.

Yes, the FJR is just fine for me.

thanks for the reply.

Another reason to love your bike. I find the bag liners really useful. I take them in the store (great at Aldis since you have to buy bags) and shop 'till they're full. Then I know they'll fit, I save the landfill from more garbage, use less gas and have an excuse to go for a ride. Short of buying softner salt, I'll take the bike. Going green and didn't even know it. Tell all the tree huggers, it's the bikers that are saving the world. :rolleyes:

This is my first and only street bike so I really have nothing to compare my experiences to and was wondering how an FJR compares to a "crotch rocket" ...
My FJR is my first street bike also. :yahoo:

A lot of my buddies ride, mostly harleys and metric cruisers. I was looking at a starter bike, less than $9k and 800cc's. They suggested that I skip the beginner bikes (cause I'll want a big boy ride within a year) and just go for a full 1700cc full dress cruiser. The following were my concerns:

A. I don't have that kind of money

B. I don't want to get only 30 mpg on a motorcycle, for crap's sake

C. Doesn't the thing weighing close to a half ton dry take away the whole fun element?

I then considered a cheap beginner crotch rocket. Another buddy just got a new Ninja 500, and already wants to upgrade to a 600+ cc crotch rocket, after 5 months. His wife has only ridden on it once or twice, and hates 2-up for the lack of comfort.

I chose a sport tourer because of the cheap price, light weight, and perfomance, compared to the cruiser, and the ergonomics, storage, and passenger comfort, compared to the crotch rockets. The FJR is an excelent compromise, good looker, rare (especially in comparison to all the cookie-cutter cruisers out there), and has an extremely loyal following.

Performance wise, I don't think I could handle anything quicker. 11 seconds in a quarter mile is just rediculous!

Last edited by a moderator:
I now have 4000 miles on my 2007 FJR and I've smiled the entire way. This is a wonderful machine. Fast, quick off the line, easy to handle, looks great, rides great, etc... This is my first and only street bike so I really have nothing to compare my experiences to and was wondering how an FJR compares to a "crotch rocket" (pick your favorite brand). I mean, I see these kids riding these things all hunched over and such and they look quite uncomfortable - at least for me. I wonder why anyone would ride one when an FJR is surely fast and nimble enough for the masses plus it has side bags. :clapping:

Thanks!
If you've never ridden a liter Sportbike, or even more so, a 600 Sportbike, you would not understand. It is a world of difference! To ride the FJR and let say an R6/R1 to there potential or remotely near, there is no comparison! The FJR is a great bike, but in a different league is all!

I find the bag liners really useful. I take them in the store (great at Aldis since you have to buy bags) and shop 'till they're full. Then I know they'll fit...
Scubabiker:

What a great idea! I just never thought about it myself. I usually leave the liners at home. Time to put at least one of the in the bags! Thanks for the tip.

If you've never ridden a liter Sportbike, or even more so, a 600 Sportbike, you would not understand. It is a world of difference! To ride the FJR and let say an R6/R1 to there potential or remotely near, there is no comparison! The FJR is a great bike, but in a different league is all!
+1

What I've found as a neat compromise is something the magazines don't seem to like too much, and that's a BMW K1200Rsport, or BMWK1200S. These are both a 100 or so pounds lighter than an FJR, both have about 20 more bhp than an FJR. Both have a neat set of expandable, easily attached or removed saddlebags that are rated for 110 mph continuous duty. And the stock seat is the only stock seat I've gotten along with in a long long time. The knee bend isn't great, but there are aftermarket options to work on this, and its much better than a true sport bike, even in its stock form. Another good compromise is

a Hayabusa. Another, less good compromise, but maybe appealing to some, is a Honda 800VFR Interceptor. I rode one of these on a swap with a friend back in July, and it was the pre-VTEC version, and I liked it quite well. Light and sporty. Not a true sport bike, but a lot closer than an FJR.

The FJR is a great sport touring bike... perhaps the best of the lot for guys that lean toward the sporty end of sport touring. But when you get on one after spending an hour or more on a sport bike, you have a couple of sensations. First, depending on the length of time you've spent on the sport bike, you may have a great sense of relief at the better ergonomics (human comfort issues). Then you will undoubtedly notice the great width, and heaviness. Then you will notice the less exciting power to weight ratio. And eventually, you will go back to noticing the better ergonomics and you'll forget about the width, heaviness, and power to weight ratio.

I think the FJR feels like a sporty bike for folks coming off the V-Twin cruisers or the Gold Wings. It feels like a really great toury bike for guys coming off of a sport bike.

I spent 13 years on a CBR600 until I bought my 06 FJR this May. I had both bikes for 3 weeks and didn't ride the CBR the entire time until I delivered it to the next owner. The first time I got on the FJR I didn't really notice the extra weight until I was in a parking lot and almost dropped it in a very low speed turn. When I got back on the CBR to take it on it's final ride I almost threw it over bringing it off the side stand (I guess I got used to the extra weight). On typical roads there isn't much difference in performance but when I leaned the CBR over in a nice sweeper I felt like I was on a GP bike. The CBR was my first and only street bike until the FJR and I never understood how a bike could not be "flickable" until I spent some time away from a light weight sport bike and came back to it. The FJR is about as fast and handles as well as I could want a street bike to be on a public road. The CBR just turned in quicker and felt more planted in the corners at the cost of shoulder/back pain, short fuel range, poor wind protection, and no storage.

But she sure was fun.

Traded my 03 R1 in on my 07FJR at the time my concern was I wouldn't be satified with the acceleration of the feej after experiencing the navy catapult like zoom of the R1. well it's not as quick but its plenty quick enough for the street and you can actually go some place with it. and even take some stuff with you. As for the handling the R1 was better than I will ever be skilled enough to utilize, it was almost half as light as the FJR and you could definitly tell. The FJR is still better than I am. I'd like to take it on a track and see what I/it can do but I can't afford to replace it right now and I know me, it'll get bent :rolleyes:

My softail drives like a cement truck with wooden brakes but does manage 50mpg regularly.

The last bike I had with my FJR was a 1996 ZX-6E Ninja 600. The FJR has identical quarter mile & top speed times; but the ZX weighs 160lbs less so is way easier to ride quickly. That Ninja's 15 year old sportbike design is far from what is available, now let alone open class bikes. The FJR doesn't do anything wrong; it is just huge compared to a sportbike but the FJR is very, very hard to beat in all around performance whcih is why I own one now.

My son has a SB. I ride it sometimes. It is fun but not comfortable ( he is 5'9 165 I am 6'1" and 235) for those over 40 I suspect (me). The handling is outstanding and the HP to weight.

I came to the Fjr directly from an '06 Speed Triple, but I also have had a '05 Zx10r, a '04 Zx6r, an '01 sv650 and a '93 Cbr600f2, plus some other '80s bikes that aren't really comparable in this instance. My first impressions of the fjr were of very forgiving and stable handling. The bike masks its weight well, but I think the long wheelbase and large steering lock have a lot to do with that impression. When pushed, the fjr does start to wallow but it still handles better than a bike this heavy should. I do find myself missing lighter bikes now though, and if could go back and pick one as a companion to the Fjr, i'd be hard pressed to chooose between the sv650 and the zx10, both lightweight, fun bikes, but also worlds apart as far as intentions go.

*AN FJR is way more costly than a simple chain drive UJM 600/1000 CC bike...

Used sport bikes are a dime a dozen out there compared to the number of FJR's ....

This morning, I got to ride with a pack of sport bikes for a few hours.

The FJR kept up quite nicely, thank you...

This morning, I got to ride with a pack of sport bikes for a few hours.
The FJR kept up quite nicely, thank you...
If they were even half way decent riders in the corners, you would been left behind. Of course, riding on the street, everyone is equal, or should be. Sportbikes don't shine until you start closing in on maximizing what they are made for.

I love my FJR. It's great for me to ride 1000+ miles out west through Colorado, Utah and Arizona and enjoy the twisties along the way. However, when I can afford it I will pick up a sportbike - probably an R1. I used to have an FZ1 and I miss the lighter weight and higher power/weight. The R1 will be even more of that than the FZ1 was - lighter and more powerful. But I won't be riding the R1 on 3500 miles 7 day trips like I do on my FJR.