FJR 1300 Comparison To Sports Bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides my '05 FJR I have a 2003 Kaw ZRX1200R and a '98 suzuki TL1000R. I put the most miles on the FJR because the engine heat is welcome on the cool (50 degree) summer morning commute.

both the TLR and the ZRX are a fair amount faster than the feejer mostly because they weigh over 100 pounds less. either is definitely more fun to ride than the feejer. (I know, pretty much blasphemy for this forum)

The TLR is a bona fide sportbike and much fun to ride if you are just going corner carving for an hour or two. I added streetfighter handlebars and a venture tour pack so its a reasonable commuter as well.

The ZRX has the best motor of the three, most comfortable riding position, and with a venture pack is also a reasonable commuter. It would be my preferred choice for commuting if a bigger windsheild and lowers were available for it.

So ... summary: the fjr is the most practical bike and is still fun to ride but you definitely sacrifice some zip to attain the higher comfort level.

If I could only have 1 bike it'd be the fjr but I'd really miss the ZRX. some days I just have the "need for speed".

Sometimes I want more power and less weight, then I tweak the tall wind screen move my feet to the highway pegs and remember why I love the FJR. It can haul the gear, has good weather protection, shaft drive, lots of aftermarket stuff for touring, ABS for those wet days, good fuel range for those long days and I actually fit on the bike at 6'-4". If you want to tour and do some miles it is hard to beat the FJR if you want a shafty. My buddies ride VFR's and they don't like a long day in the saddle as much.. 500 miles is easy to do on the big ST's and most people can do much more day after day. Its the right tool for the touring rider who likes to carve sometimes and rides in all weather.

Want more sport? If I had the money it would be the K1200S BMW but, I would miss the electric screen and wind protection. When I came off the Honda ST, I missed the quite ride. Then I got a CalSci XL, all is well again. Not as good in the rain as the Honda but, the added performance, handling and quick oil changes make up for it.

If I was smaller the Sprint ST with the factory bags would work too. That is a very nice looking package for weekend rides. A good VFR alternative.

You know, if you really want something serious to carve curves off track, its hard to beat a supermotard type of bike.

The supermotard style bikes can run rings around the sport bikes on technical off camber switchbacks, like US129. You don't need much power in tight twisties. And any extra weight is a penalty.

Real sport bikes are great for track days.

The FJR hollers "Autobahn!!!"

You know, if you really want something serious to carve curves off track, its hard to beat a supermotard type of bike.The supermotard style bikes can run rings around the sport bikes on technical off camber switchbacks, like US129. You don't need much power in tight twisties. And any extra weight is a penalty.

Real sport bikes are great for track days.

The FJR hollers "Autobahn!!!"
Yep very true. I saw a DRZ400SM doing very well on the Dragon and having a blast. Big guy too. :assassin:

All of y'all make very good observations. I've put 15,000 miles on my FJR in a year, and have learned that the model requires a certain amount of self-retraining. Like Kromm, I came off a V-Max. Both bikes make you feel instantly like the king of the freeway. But while I felt almost immediately comfortable on the Max without any tweaking for comfort (except saddle), I had to change the bar height, windshield, saddle, etc. for a good "fit" on the FJR.

Also, I learned:

1. not to park the FJR nose-first into a curbed parking spot, as my 150-lb body cannot push it uphill to get it out.

2. not to park crossways on a slope, as the side stand will leave too much tilt and the bike will fall over.

3. not to park in the grass for very long with either stand.

4. not to park on an uphill with the center stand, as I cannot swing it off.

5. to stand on the pegs at walking-speed.

6. to stay off dirt and gravel roads as much as possible.

7. to use "attititude" any time I am moving it across the driveway or garage floor by hand.

So I guess you DO kinda get accustomed to the bulk, with time. Best ride I've had for 50+ miles, and have done 600 mile days without excessive fatigue.

Sportbikes are fun only in one place: the track. Other than that they are peaky, uncomfortable, and just not practical for every day street use. Some people can live with them on the street...I'm not one of them. In fact, I can safely say that the ZX-7 I owned back in the day was one of the worst bikes I've ever owned...yet it was the best sportbike you could own at the time.

The only real advantage (IMO) that a supersport has is the handling. Fantastic. But again, riding on the street an FJR (or just about any bike except a cruiser) can do just fine in the handling department unless you're pushing 9/10ths. So ride what ya like. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't know if i would consider the fjr a ferrari of motorcycles. i was thinking more of a porsche 928 or a bmw m5? i mean, very, very fast, holds its own in the corners, nice and comfy, but when push comes to shove, is a little heavy to compete with the dedicated sportbikes/sports cars.
howzat?

dean

cincinnati

+1 My previous touring vehicle was a 928 GTS and if an FJR was a car....that'd be the one. 171 mph top end, 50/50 weight distribution but with room for your luggage. It is not intended to be a total performance vehicle...just a bad ass touring machine.

Here was mine and, to me, it even looks like a FJR. Function controls form.

47b6d827b3127ccece19e235823f0000001.jpg
ry3D400.jpg

i don't know if i would consider the fjr a ferrari of motorcycles. i was thinking more of a porsche 928 or a bmw m5? i mean, very, very fast, holds its own in the corners, nice and comfy, but when push comes to shove, is a little heavy to compete with the dedicated sportbikes/sports cars.
howzat?

dean

cincinnati

+1 My previous touring vehicle was a 928 GTS and if an FJR was a car....that'd be the one. 171 mph top end, 50/50 weight distribution but with room for your luggage. It is not intended to be a total performance vehicle...just a bad ass touring machine.

Here was mine and, to me, it even looks like a FJR. Function controls form.

47b6d827b3127ccece19e235823f0000001.jpg
ry3D400.jpg

I just sold my FZ1 and now have my 08 FJR and I can tell you there is a world of difference. The heat on the FZ was unacceptable! The wind noise was unbelievable NO matter what windshield you used. So much bug guts on my visor I was cleaning the thing at every stop not to mention the ones that ended up on my jacket. No matching hard bags and the throw overs rub paint off. Yes, the power was out of this world but that was the only thing it had going for it.

The FJR is freaking wonderful! Get the windshield just right and I can actually listen to my MP3. Did not have to clean visor at all! Smooth as silk. Way more power than I will ever use! Guess she is the bike for me!!!

Great thread!

My 2 cents, never having owned a sport bike it probably isn't worth the fonts its typed with.

But after attending EOM and watching what a skilled rider can do with the FJR, any lust after a sport bike has disappeared from my mind. This bike is more than enough for me. The bike is far more capable than I am. Maybe that will change as I gain experience, but for the riding I do, it is a perfect fit.

Chris

Besides my '05 FJR I have a 2003 Kaw ZRX1200R and a '98 suzuki TL1000R. I put the most miles on the FJR because the engine heat is welcome on the cool (50 degree) summer morning commute.
both the TLR and the ZRX are a fair amount faster than the feejer mostly because they weigh over 100 pounds less. either is definitely more fun to ride than the feejer. (I know, pretty much blasphemy for this forum)

The TLR is a bona fide sportbike and much fun to ride if you are just going corner carving for an hour or two. I added streetfighter handlebars and a venture tour pack so its a reasonable commuter as well.

The ZRX has the best motor of the three, most comfortable riding position, and with a venture pack is also a reasonable commuter. It would be my preferred choice for commuting if a bigger windsheild and lowers were available for it.

So ... summary: the fjr is the most practical bike and is still fun to ride but you definitely sacrifice some zip to attain the higher comfort level.

If I could only have 1 bike it'd be the fjr but I'd really miss the ZRX. some days I just have the "need for speed".
I have never ridden a pure sportbike like you guys speak of. It hard to imagine using even more power than the FJR has. I mean, I'm out today, scraping footpegs and hammering it coming out of turns, and I'm doing 90 mph before i arrive at the next curve. I feel like that is extremely fast for me, I'm in triple digits in a heartbeat it seems, and it seems like I do exploit the potential of the bike and the raods but I'm often going very fast..lol

I just can't imaging putting even more power to good use...lol..

All of y'all make very good observations. I've put 15,000 miles on my FJR in a year, and have learned that the model requires a certain amount of self-retraining. Like Kromm, I came off a V-Max. Both bikes make you feel instantly like the king of the freeway. But while I felt almost immediately comfortable on the Max without any tweaking for comfort (except saddle), I had to change the bar height, windshield, saddle, etc. for a good "fit" on the FJR.
Also, I learned:

1. not to park the FJR nose-first into a curbed parking spot, as my 150-lb body cannot push it uphill to get it out.

2. not to park crossways on a slope, as the side stand will leave too much tilt and the bike will fall over.

3. not to park in the grass for very long with either stand.

4. not to park on an uphill with the center stand, as I cannot swing it off.

5. to stand on the pegs at walking-speed.

6. to stay off dirt and gravel roads as much as possible.

7. to use "attititude" any time I am moving it across the driveway or garage floor by hand.

So I guess you DO kinda get accustomed to the bulk, with time. Best ride I've had for 50+ miles, and have done 600 mile days without excessive fatigue.

Lol...just goes to show..bulk is relative.

My other bike is a valkyrie. When I get on the FJR after being on the Valk is feels very light and graceful and easy to back up and turn..lol

After six track days last year with my FJR I have added a new GSXR-750 to the stable. The Gixxer rarely sees any street time and the FJR doesn't see any more track time.

At 51 years of age and a not so good left knee, I just can't fathom riding a full out sport bike. I still have an addiction to speed though. I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I dream of someone making a turbo kit that would bolt onto my FJR-AE. I guess that's what dreams are made for.

Interesting comments.

To sum it up there is no comparison. They are just 2 different beasts.

I currently own a 2007 R6. I have had about 10 sportbikes for street use and around 5 dedicated trackbikes over the past 10 years. I have never ridden any of those bikes to their potential. Very fast but never as fast as they could go.

With 800 miles on the FJR I have already gone as fast as it will go and to it's limit for sure.

Love it for what it is!

I ride with a bunch of sports bikes once or twice a month in the mountains of North Arkansas and manage to keep up with them no problems, and if I don't it is because I backed off myself, not because the bike couldn't keep up. I usually end up being the "support bike" with tools, drinks, etc etc. When they hand me something to put in the saddlebags I just grin and put it in with the rest of the stuff. I was teasing them telling them I was going to put yellow flashing lights on it and start charging to haul stuff LOL.

All in all, I think the FJR is a good compromise between speed, maneuverability, and touring for a great price. I probably will not buy another bike because I put so many miles on this one it would just sit most of the time...

Glen

I ride with a bunch of sports bikes once or twice a month in the mountains of North Arkansas and manage to keep up with them no problems, and if I don't it is because I backed off myself, not because the bike couldn't keep up. I usually end up being the "support bike" with tools, drinks, etc etc. When they hand me something to put in the saddlebags I just grin and put it in with the rest of the stuff. I was teasing them telling them I was going to put yellow flashing lights on it and start charging to haul stuff LOL.
All in all, I think the FJR is a good compromise between speed, maneuverability, and touring for a great price. I probably will not buy another bike because I put so many miles on this one it would just sit most of the time...

Glen

Glen, not to dis your buddies but they must be really slow.

The FJR is a great bike but it just can't handle like a sportbike.

If you try to take a corner at the pace of a sportbike that is even running 7/10th it's limit you will ride off into the trees.

Again I am loving my FJR but it just doesn't compare to a sportbike.

I now have 4000 miles on my 2007 FJR and I've smiled the entire way. This is a wonderful machine. Fast, quick off the line, easy to handle, looks great, rides great, etc... This is my first and only street bike so I really have nothing to compare my experiences to and was wondering how an FJR compares to a "crotch rocket" (pick your favorite brand). I mean, I see these kids riding these things all hunched over and such and they look quite uncomfortable - at least for me. I wonder why anyone would ride one when an FJR is surely fast and nimble enough for the masses plus it has side bags. :clapping: So, would one choose a crotch rocket for even more performance? Is the difference that large?

Thanks!
To me, it's not so much a matter of numbers (acceleration, top speed, etc) but 'feel' -- on a sport-bike the rider (me) is more connected to/with the bike and the road. I agree with those who've said (compared to a sport-bike) the FJR is a big heavy shaft-drive touring bike -- but a very good and 'sporty' one.

"...kids riding all hunched over": depends, some sport-bikes can have relatively tame riding positions -- especially, if the h/bars are above the triple clamp. Depending on the rider and the bike, some can be relatively comfortable -- even for the long-haul (they're not all the same). Altho, the ones designed to win races often aren't the comfortable ones.

While the FJR is decently fast, that's not all there is. You mentioned 'performance' -- that's where a sport-bike shines -- 'performance' in all its applications: going, stopping, handling, etc. The difference can be large -- depending on who's behind the bars..... :blink: :)

You're welcome.

Glen

Glen, not to dis your buddies but they must be really slow.

The FJR is a great bike but it just can't handle like a sportbike.

If you try to take a corner at the pace of a sportbike that is even running 7/10th it's limit you will ride off into the trees.

Again I am loving my FJR but it just doesn't compare to a sportbike.
Oh I know that FJR can't keep up in the corners, 7/10ths is about right, I just said keep up, doesn't mean I'm at the front of the pack LOL I do OK in the straights though, bout the only ones I can't out run or keep up with are the liter sports bikes.

Depending upon where we are (some roads are safer than others to ride, lets say, errrrm, sporty) I am usually only a few minutes behind them. I have seen them walk off from me like I was standing still in the curves so I know what they can do, most of them are track riders as well. I have almost gone off the road trying to keep up with them though, after that I just do what is comfortable for me because they never leave anyone behind, they are always waiting for the last rider.

Glen

My old saying is: There are two types of riders, those that ride purely to ride and those that ride to tour. If you go out for nothing more than to rip that bike through the corners and get a kick in the pants from the adrenalin rush of power wheelies out of a left hander and then at the end of the day you couldn't recall a single landmark, then you ride to ride. For these guys only a sport bike will do and when you ride like that you will appreciate the ergos of the bike because anything less is a compromise of speed and handling for comfort.
If you ride for any other reason I'd call you a touring rider. Touring riders may blast a canyon once in a while but they also enjoy a certain level of comfort, like to carry things with them once in a while, and usually remember where they've been. Some touring riders also like to be seen on what they think are "Cool bikes", these guys are usually on cruisers but not always. I call them posers but that may be too harsh because I don't mean it in a derogatory way.
I will spend the day just riding purely for the sake of riding. But, it is usually a 450 mile ride. A little slab, some canyon, some high desert, some along the ocean. All in a single loop from home. By virtue of my typical day ride, you can't just define us all by putting us into one of two camps.