Fjr 1300 Vs Fj1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any riders who have both that could compare performance,and handling?
You have found your man, and probably others here too. Here's my .02.

Bought a new FJ1200 in '89 and had it until two years ago. My web developer owns it now and I got to put 20 miles on it a few weeks ago. Disclaimer: My FJ1200 was modded with a Penske shock and an FZR1000 rear wheel (17 in rim) equiped with sporting rubber, so the handling was way better than a stock FJ1200.

Power: FJR1300 wins here. The two bikes are nearly the same weight, but the FJR has more torque and more HP. My FJ1200 with a jet kit did 118HP to the rear wheel with 78 ft. lbs. of torque. Most FJR1300's would pull 125HP or more and torque in the 90 ft. lb. range or more.

Smoothness: FJR1300 is WAY more smooth than the FJ1200. That thing seemed to rattle my colon when I rode it recently.

Wind protection: Again, the FJR

Handling: My modded FJ1200 handled pretty well. My FJR1300 has an Ohlins rear shock and I think handles better.

Comfort: The FJ1200 hurt me bad. That is why I quit riding it, but that is due to some proprietary physical problems that I have. The pegs were to high and too far forward for me. Also, the clutch pull killed my arthritus effected left thumb joint. I believe that the FJR1300 has the same clutch spring, but the clutch pull on the FJR1300 is much lighter. In all, the FJR1300 is way more comfortable, the only exception being some heat issues that are minor for me.

Touring amenities: I don't think I even need to comment here.

Economy: My FJ1200 average for all the years I owned it was 39.6. My '98 R1 has averaged 42.2 since new, and the FJR1300 has averaged 38.0 for less than eight months of ownership. No real trips yet to bring up that average.

Have I mentioned that I love the FJR??

Had an '03 FJ1200ABS for 5 years and loved it! It was my favorite bike until the FJR came into my life. No comparison on power. FJ would pull good but never into the "Oh My God" ranges of speed that the FJR will lay down. Handling of course goes to the FJR (my FJ was stock except for heavier fork oil and a Superbrace). I agree with earlier comments regarding the comfort levels of the two bikes although I think the FJ had a much better seat (even the stock seat although I later replaced it with a Corbin) and I had Heli-modified bars for some increase in comfort. I believe the seat on the FJR is a piece of CRAP!! About as good as the seat on my TTR125 (just kidding, but it is a piece of doo doo at least to my sensitive derriere). It takes lot longer for me to have to dangle my legs on the straights on the FJR than it did on the FJ. Much easier to wheelie the FJR too. I put a set of GIVI bags on the FJ and she could haul a load of crap in'em but I love the integrated bags on the FJR.

They do have some commonalites especially the "whine" as you cruise along. I do love the torque of both bikes. I would buy another FJ one day just to have the ancestor to this fine machine. And by the way, the FJ was HOT!!!!!!!! when you got stuck in traffic...like a large grilling machine and I of course was (is..am?) the wienie. And no I did not pop when you cooked me. :D

John

And by the way, the FJ was HOT!!!!!!!! when you got stuck in traffic...like a large grilling machine and I of course was (is..am?) the wienie. And no I did not pop when you cooked me. :D John
Yea, that is true. I had an oil temp guage installed on mine, and if you got caught in traffic on a hot day, the oil temp would go into the danger zone. Thank God for lane splitting!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunnow' I have an 85 FJ1100 Can Spec with 33 smoothbores, a Yosh pipe and K+N filters, and so far a stock 05 FJR 1300.

In the comfort dept , FJR all the way

On the sporting side, I dont know if its just from having the FJ for twenty years or not, but I feel more comfortable pushing the limits on it than the FJR.

No doubt the FJR is technically superior, but it takes a lot to beat the old FJ series.... Don

There was a FJ1200 at the FJR Owners Gathering. How do you guys put up with the rubber mounted foot pegs? I sat on it and those flexie foot pegs I wanted nothin to do with ! TJ