FJR 1300 vs Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMike

Reaction score
Did anybody here own both FJR and Tiger Explorer 1200? Would love to get some insight on how they compare.

I owned a 2015 Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer.  I also owned several Gen II FJR AEs.  

I liked both, but seriously, they are apples and oranges.  

The FJR is heavier but has better storage.  

The current FJRs are full featured, including optional electronically adjustable suspension.  

The current Explorers are full featured too.

I was more comfortable on the Tiger than on the FJR.  I felt like the Tiger was a bit snappier, but latest models may be different.  Both were snappy though.   I liked the Tiger’s handling better, and the knee and hip bends.  But these are just personal preferences.  

The FJR may be the more honest bike since it is definitely a real sport touring model.  The whole Adventure bike genre is a phony genre.  Except for the Afrika Twin, none of them are more than 10% off road.

Both are fun.  Both are well built.  Yamaha may have the better dealer network, but the Technicians don’t know the bike.  Triumph dealers are fewer and farther between, but the Technicians see enough bikes so that chances are good that if you need help, you could get it.    

I owned a 2015 Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer.  I also owned several Gen II FJR AEs.  

I liked both, but seriously, they are apples and oranges.  

The FJR is heavier but has better storage.  

The current FJRs are full featured, including optional electronically adjustable suspension.  

The current Explorers are full featured too.

I was more comfortable on the Tiger than on the FJR.  I felt like the Tiger was a bit snappier, but latest models may be different.  Both were snappy though.   I liked the Tiger’s handling better, and the knee and hip bends.  But these are just personal preferences.  

The FJR may be the more honest bike since it is definitely a real sport touring model.  The whole Adventure bike genre is a phony genre.  Except for the Afrika Twin, none of them are more than 10% off road.

Both are fun.  Both are well built.  Yamaha may have the better dealer network, but the Technicians don’t know the bike.  Triumph dealers are fewer and farther between, but the Technicians see enough bikes so that chances are good that if you need help, you could get it.    
Thank you so much for the info. May I ask how tall you are.  My concern is that I am 5'9" only and not sure if it would be comfortable to handle those bikes in a low speed environment. 

I was able to flat foot both bikes.  With the Tiger I wore Sidi Adventure boots which have a fairly thick sole.  With the FJR I wore Sidi Vortice Corsa with their fairly thin soles.  

Both bikes are a bit tall.  My inseam is only 29”. 

Both bikes look sharp when you remove the bags   

I never dropped or knocked over an FJR.  

I did drop the Tiger once ... I put my foot down in a shaded slimey spot, and when my foot slipped, I could not save it, and it dropped at 0 mph.  I think this was random, and not the fault of the bike   

If i were to buy one of these two today, I would probably opt for the FJR because we have a good dealer in town.  

Instead I’m riding a 2018 ZX14R and a 2019 Goldwing DCT.    I take the ZX14R for sporty rides of about an hour   I take the Wing if I’m actually going somewhere.   I love the Wing for the long distances where the FJR would likely be chosen over TEx, and I also love the Wing in traffic where neither TEx nor FJR would be much fun.  YMMV

El Toro thank you very much for your responses . It sounds like I would be fine with either one.  Since I'll be looking for a used one it will probably come down to a better deal I can find..