FJR battery from Staab Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not used it, but that sure is a low price! I have never bought a no maint battery that you had to activate with acid before using, so that's different.

Never heard of it before.

The stock FJR battery is absorbed glass mat (AGM) and not simply a sealed 'no-maintenance' battery. That probably accounts for some of the price difference.

That Staab battery is AGM as it comes with a separate acid kit that must be absorbed and then initially charged at a low amperage. This is identical to the activation process of the YUASA battery. I've never heard of this battery brand, but it is apparently based out of Springfield IL and has been in business since 1938 according to their web site. Might be worth a try at that price as it is a proven battery technology, I just have never run across the brand.

How is it that a good battery company like Staab isn't commonly known? Especially one that has been in business so long.

Perhaps Staab produces batteries for other manufacturers (my speculation here); the dry charge (and acid addition) is the same as the A/C Delco some of us bought from Amazon (a while back). So far my A/C Delco is performing well. (That was a special, Amazon had, when they were selling at 25 dollars.)

According to their website they no longer manufacture batteries, they just market and distribute.

"1972 brought about a major refocusing of the company. The manufacturing of batteries was discontinued and the entire efforts of the company were centered on distribution.

Paul J Staab III, Paul Jr.'s son and Paul Sr.'s grandson joined the company in 1976. To service our customers better, warehouses have been opened in both the Chicago and St Louis metro areas to compliment our main facility in Springfield and our product lines have expanded to cover all forms of lead acid batteries. We currently offer complete lines of flooded lead acid, AGM and Gel technology. In addition we offer recycling of all forms of lead products."

Battery technology is an evolving thing....... I don't care how long they've been in business, things change, including them (AGM and Gel are more recent technologies). Today's batteries are different from those of years ago. Why aren't they stating their cold cranking amps? Nevertheless, at $40, will they be the best thing on the planet? E.g., based on what I read, I wouldn't get a Westco for example. Dunno, they might be great. We need some testers, worst that can happen, is you have to buy two for every one Yuasa? And don't buy that little .75 amp charger, it isn't enough for a dead battery. Yeah, I'm being a little cranky today.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Last summer I put a new Westco in my FJR to replace the 5 year old one that was in there. The old one was just fine, good resting voltage etc. I just replaced it because of age alone. I figured the first one did nicely, so I bought another. YMMV

I'm using a Westco installed in March 2008. It's been noticeably weaker in recent months and I'll be replacing it next spring.

Six years from the Westco and five from the OE GS battery.

$72 / 6 = $12 per year. A fairly trivial expense compared to tires, gas, etc.

I might try this but I'm still tired from lifting my bike off the old battery.
tonguesmiley.gif

I bought a battery of this type from a dealer last May. I arrived to SE OHIO RAMBLE with a dead battery and this was my only choice at the time. Its been working better than other batteries Ive bought in recent years. I ride regulary in cold temps and it has never failed to start my feej. So far so good. At this price, if it only lasts a couple years your not hurt too bad.

Batteries made in the USA are made from recycled lead and other parts.

If you can fins a battery made in Japan buy it, it'll last longer.

That's why OEM batteries last for 5 years or more, they're made in Japan.

I am curious as to what the difference between "fresh" lead and "recycled" lead is ... Lead is an element and if it is melted down and reconstituted (as long as it is pure), how would one have any different properties than the other ?

It seems to me that this is more likely due to stricter quality control or higher standards as far as accuracy from Japanese manufacturers.

But, I ask because I don't know ... Do you know why the lead would make a difference ?

. Do you know why the lead would make a difference ?

Nope.

But it's the whole battery, cells and everything.

I know people that have got almost 10 years out of a OEM Japanese battery, never see anything close to that with a USA replacement battery.

The Japs are using recycled lead too..... from my edumacation in the auto biz, a very brief overview, it's all about the (usually patented) design of the plates and how they're connected to the main bus inside. The only way I could describe this is for you to see a cheap battery and an OEM battery apart. The OEM's have thicker/more robust busses and connections which resist getting too thin too fast, and being able to withstand vibration and cracking, thus robustly keeping the constant flow of juice to the posts. A crack in a bus is usually a catastrophic failure, a crack in a joint of a plate to a bus is going to cause a 'bad cell' or partly bad cell............ letting it discharge too much too frequently will cause sulphation, a slower death........ keep your batteries charged!! You may find a good cheap battery, question is, which one?

The Japs are using recycled lead too..... from my edumacation in the auto biz, a very brief overview, it's all about the (usually patented) design of the plates and how they're connected to the main bus inside. The only way I could describe this is for you to see a cheap battery and an OEM battery apart. The OEM's have thicker/more robust busses and connections which resist getting too thin too fast, and being able to withstand vibration and cracking, thus robustly keeping the constant flow of juice to the posts. A crack in a bus is usually a catastrophic failure, a crack in a joint of a plate to a bus is going to cause a 'bad cell' or partly bad cell............ letting it discharge too much too frequently will cause sulphation, a slower death........ keep your batteries charged!! You may find a good cheap battery, question is, which one?
As far as I know they don't use recycled everything like they do here in the U.S.....unless they recently just started.