• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen2 lower outer fork tube

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In search of a gen 2 lower outer right side fork tube. Shop said the inside is scored and they can't find one anywhere.

Anybody got one or know of a place I can get it?

In search of a gen 2 lower outer right side fork tube. Shop said the inside is scored and they can't find one anywhere.

Anybody got one or know of a place I can get it?
It seems this part is not available and the shop is suggesting replacing the left and right fork assembly if I want to keep the bike for the long haul.

It seems this part is not available
Monitor eBay and setup a standing search. You might get lucky. Or maybe monitor Facebook Marketplace and find a parting-out type bike. Tubes are one of the more typical items that are hard to find as a platform ages and they're not technically wear items, but sometimes score enough to need replacement.

Although - WTF does it matter if the lowers are scored?
Yeah, I kinda wondered that myself. The polished inner fork tubes ride on the bushings (and seal). Scoring on the inside of the fork body shouldn't be an issue unless someone beat the crap out of them trying to remove the bushings. I suppose it is possible that the recesses for the bushings are screwed up. Note: It IS possible to put these back together with just the upper and lower bushings - that's how mine are done (as recommended by Traxxion Dynamics when installing their AK20 fork cartridges).

The lower bushing on the bottom of the steel inner fork tube rides up and down inside the aluminum lower outer tube.
If the inside of the outer tube is scored below the middle bushing, it "might" make a difference.
If the inside of the outer tube is scored above the middle bushing, it does not make any difference.
Doesn't matter if the middle bushing is installed or not.
In theory the middle bushing might reduce the friction between the lower bushing and the inside of the aluminum lower reducing wear.

BTW, this listing indicates parts are available. May or may not be true.
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004775bf8700209bc798437/front-fork

Or the forks from e-bay, same as I linked on the other forum. All forks are the same from 2006 - 2012.

dan

Last edited:
I have not found any yet, besides overseas and it was a bit more than I wanted to pay. How much for what you have?
I think I just need the RH outer tube, but if the pair is at a good price, I'll take both.
Part nbr 3P6231070100 for the RH tube?

The shop is a bit particular about this.

have not found any yet, besides overseas and it was a bit more than I wanted to pay. How much for what you have?
I think I just need the RH outer tube, but if the pair is at a good price, I'll take both.
Part nbr 3P6231070100 for the RH tube?

Thanks for your note. Yes, I have both the left hand and right hand outer fork sliders.
Left side is p/n 3P6-23106-01-00
Right Side is p/n 3P6-23107-01-00

Sliders have tubes attached. Understand it is possible to damage the internals if not disassembled properly. And, shipping is much more expensive if the bent polished internal fork tubes are included. Will check on this. If you want these lowers, please let me know if you want the internal tubes removed first and I will PM with price.

WTF does it matter if the lowers are scored? The bushings sit in the lowers and the uppers ride in the bushings?
Do not know what is wrong with your tubes, and Oldjeep's comment is is consistent with my understanding of the fork tubes. But maybe your shop truly has your interest at heart when they are suggesting a complete assembly replacement?

Not sure. The shop replaced the fork seals over a year ago and warrantied for 3 months. They told me the RH one was scored and tearing up the seals. Not sure how it got that way, but they had some mechanics turnover, so who knows? I think they suggested the whole assembly so there wouldn't be anymore issues in the future. Only paid 3k for the bike and can't justify paying another 2200 to fix it.

I think I just want the 2 outer tubes. PM me a price for those plus shipping. Thanks!