Fjr Centerstand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I've owned my '03 since 6/05. Always park in garage and occasionally out with C/stand, never a problem! What's the dif in yrs?
Grrr, I wrote an answer then accidentally closed the browser tab for the Forum and my post went to that big bit bucket in the sky. So, here is a quick re-reply: Bracing, drainage and possibly metallurgy. The right side down tube was filling with water and not draining, and the right side down tube was snapping. There is some speculation that the two events were related. Broken center stands were rare and Yamaha had a fix right away so this topic did not move forward in FJR lore. You may want to take a look in the Yellow Board to see if there is anything there. Here is one picture and description on this Blue Board: Click

Next time you are around a later model year FJR you need to deploy and compare, you will see the new bracing right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I've owned my '03 since 6/05. Always park in garage and occasionally out with C/stand, never a problem! What's the dif in yrs?
Grrr, I wrote an answer then accidentally closed the browser tab for the Forum and my post went to that big bit bucket in the sky. So, here is a quick re-reply: Bracing, drainage and possibly metallurgy. The right side down tube was filling with water and not draining, and the right side down tube was snapping. There is some speculation that the two events were related. Broken center stands were rare and Yamaha had a fix right away so this topic did not move forward in FJR lore. You may want to take a look in the Yellow Board to see if there is anything there. Here is one picture and description on this Blue Board: Click

Next time you are around a later model year FJR you need to deploy and compare, you will see the new bracing right away.
Thanks, now I know what to look for! Was this a recall?

Gusset2.jpg

Only gripe I have with either stand is that they put some of the mounting bolts for the centerstand in a direction that makes them impossible to get out without dropping the exhaust :/

Only gripe I have with either stand is that they put some of the mounting bolts for the centerstand in a direction that makes them impossible to get out without dropping the exhaust :/
Not true. At least if you don't mind getting a replacement bolt. ;) I just used a cutoff wheel to cut the head off the offending bolt and then installed a replacement in a direction that allows easier removal in the future. :yahoo:

Or course Yamaha could have done that in the first place and made it easier for us. :rolleyes:

And on the original topic, I must have gotten an especially well made FJR because it's never tipped over using either stand. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, now I know what to look for! Was this a recall?

Gusset2.jpg

Mine had to be replaced, but it was done under the YES warranty at 3 years out. The whole lever and foot came apart when I was hoisting it up on the centerstand. Fortunately for me my 250lbs was able to keep it upright iwth the shiny side up.

I don't recall a recall, no pun intended.

I removed my center stand because I never use it and was just adding weight. It is a pain to get off because of the exhaust but with loosening a few exhaust support brackets you can wiggle/pry it out. And you cant reverse the bolt and have it work correctly. The bolt is made to have a large pivot shaft and the threads are much smaller; in turn the hole made to accommodate it in only the direction it was originally installed in. I put mine on temporarily when needed with a smaller bolt all the way through on the right hole - ok for few time use. The only problem I have had with my side stand is it was not snapping down in the full locked position. Had mine dump over because of this - the fix was to lube the pivot points..

And you cant reverse the bolt and have it work correctly. The bolt is made to have a large pivot shaft and the threads are much smaller; in turn the hole made to accommodate it in only the direction it was originally installed in. I put mine on temporarily when needed with a smaller bolt all the way through on the right hole - ok for few time use.
The bolt I cut off and reversed is one of the 2 bracket mount bolts on the right side (not the shouldered pivot bolt you are talking about). Once done, it makes it much easier the next time. I can see saving weight removing the whole centerstand, but it's way too convenient for maintenance purposes so mine is staying.