FJR@DTS Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR@DTS

Reaction score
So, Today finally arrived, I have not slept well in three days waiting to get my New 07 FJR, after selling my motorcycle 3 years ago. Anyway, Here is how my day went:

So, We leave Dallas at 7am, my neighbor at DTS is giving me a ride and generally hanging out with me today, much thanks Christian. We get to Yamaha Sportscenter at 9:30 and I walk in and find Jerry. He takes me right out back to meet my new FJR. Man is she beautiful.

We go over the checklist (from this site) and everything is in order, then I go in and sign my life away. After that painful part was over it was time to visit the accessories department. I was in need of a helmet since I sold mine with my bike in 94. Everyone at Yamaha Sportscenter were really nice and helpful. So I got a tank bag and a tank protector while I was there :rolleyes:

Then I realized I had forgotten my headphones, so I was off to take my new bike out for a test ride and a stop by walmart for headphones. I pull the bile around to the front and Christian hands me my Jacket. I put it on and go to eave, and I cant start the bike. :dribble: so now I'm embarassed because I think I've forgotten how to start a motorcycle and I've got to walk back into the store and ask for help. gulp. OK, so its been three years, I was a little worried about what I might have forgotten. Anyway the service guys come out with charger in hand (hmm, experience?) and jump the bike. They tell me it should be fine after I ride for a few min. Now, I'm worried that I'll stall her at the light and be *#&^#$. We'll I carefully rode to wall mart, found a cheap pair of headphones, borrowed a knife from a handy boyscout outside the entrance, and got ready to go. Wow, I felt like I was on a roller coaster, or flying a fighter jet. Coming from Crusiers, this this was like strapping a rocket engine to my backside. I was thinking to myself that this much fun can't possibly be legal, then I glanced down at the speedometer and saw I was doing 80 in a 40 and realised that this much fun was not leagal, so I slowed down, at least till I got to the freeway. Yea, I may have beet some speed regulation for a couple minutes. Basically, I just drove around for awhile, put 20 or so miles on the bike and then back to the shope for a quick oil change before the drive back to Dallas.

I met Christian in the parking lot and I was practically jumping up and down with excitement. :yahoo: I can't remember when I've had this much fun. So we go across the street to Schlotskies (sp) Deli and grab a couple sandwiches. By the time we get back my bike is done, and I settle the bill and we hit the rode for the drive back. I start out leading with Christian trying to keep up in his Accord. The first hundred miles fly by, except I'm a little rusty and my legs and but are out of riding shape. I forgot that this is actually alot more active than driving my wifes minivan. Anyway, I'm having a ball and varing the speed and rev ranges to break her in. When I see in the distance a wall of red taillights approaching. CRUD. We slow down, and come to a complete stop. Not a good sign as we have already been gone to long and I know Christian has as much studing to do as I do. So I see an exit and pull up and tell Christian to follow me, and we take off down the exit. We pull over and are discussing the merits of seeing if this road will get us from the 20 to the 80 or not, then we start noticing alot of cars pulling off and going down this rode, so we take off following the heard (not generally something I do) and guess what happens?? Anyone? You there in the back , yes you, Exactly right, the road turns to dirt. Now Im slowly making my way through this bumpy dusty road and cars are passing me and spewing dirt and dust all over me and my new bike. I was not a happy camper let me tell you.

This lasted for awhile and we finally come out at a freeway. Yea!! Except, wait a tic, its the 20 again. GRRR! So we get back in the long line, and this is really starting to harsh my buzz, when I see a mile marker and realise we just cut 8 miles off the backup and were only 2 miles from the 80! Sweet. All in well once more. So right before the intersection, the conctruction clears and the traffic starts moving again. We high tail it back to DTS and out waiting wifes. My wife runs out with her helmet and we go for a quick ride, down the road grab a quick coffee and back home where she had to watch someones kids for a bit.

I show the bike to my son (5 years old) and he gets a kick out of revving the engine and standing in front of the headlights. Then I go park it and run into the other FJR owner on campus. He congratulates me and we discuss farkles for a bit.

I get in, clean up my gear and sit down to write you fine folks and tell you about my day. Basically I kept looking down at the bike and thinking , I cant believe I'm riding an FJR! :D This is like the best bike in the world. I can't believe I ever rode anything else. I can't believe how much fun this is. I thank God that I have been so blessed this year. Work has gone well, my daughter was born in Feb, My old job kicked in some dough so I could get a new Laptop (my first Mac) and my job agreed to get me an IPhone, and now, I tooling around on a brand New FJR. Yikes. I can't believe how much I have been blessed this year. Sorry, anyway, back to the bike.

The height (seat at lowest setting) seems perfect. The handlebars felt pretty good, although both my hands are sore and a throttlemister is prob. in the picture. My bum hurt a little, but there is no way I could afford a custom seat, so I'll just get used to this one, it is still much better that my VSTAR 1100 Custom. The power this bike has is really impressive. I was a little worried about remembering how to shift, or all the safty reminders everyone tole me about like, "Ok your coming off a cruiser, so this bike is taller, so be carefull, it is heaver, so be carefull. It is more top-heavy, so be carefull. It is much faster, so be carefull." Well, I was a little nervious after hearing all this for awhile. But let me tell you, after the second or third red light, I was riding the FJR like we were old friends. I love this BIKE!!

Oh, I forgot to mention that it was a bit cloudy, the temp was 80 degrees and it was a beautiful day. I just wish that this rain front that is currently descending on us and perhaps bringing freezing rain, would go away and let me ride my bike. But then again, I do have to get mucho studying done.

Anyhoo, thanks to all the good advice from you all and a bid Howdy to the Texas FJR riders. I prob. won't be able to come to the lunch tomorrow as I might have a date with the wife. And she just let me buy an FJR so, she gets whatever she wants!

Blessings to all,

FJR@DTS

Man,

What a great report!! I am excited for you! Was hoping to meet you tomorrow at the meet and greet...but, fully understand. Btw..if you can make it for some reason...I scored some free SWAG we will be giving away (courtesy the folks at MotoLiberty).

Congrats on your new ride...you will love her!!

Take care.

Rex

RLTW!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gents, I just remembered to update my profile, now that I'm "Official"

BTW....Still Smiling :D

:clapping: :yahoo: [SIZE=12pt]Congratulations![/SIZE] :yahoo: :clapping:

The handlebars felt pretty good, although both my hands are sore and a throttlemister is prob. in the picture. My bum hurt a little, but there is no way I could afford a custom seat, so I'll just get used to this one, it is still much better that my VSTAR 1100 Custom.
After not riding for a long time it sounds like your body is not in "rebel" mode. That's a good sign! If not a Throttlemeister, there is always a less expensive option that works very well: Link to FJRTech Vista Cruise install.

As for your posterior...if necessary, you could try lamb's wool (fleece). A single bucket seat cover from CSK, trimmed to fit each seat and you might get an easy 200miles extra from the OEM seat. Try it, you might like it.

I love this BIKE!
Ah yes, the FJR grin that never fades.

Resistance was futile. You have been successfully assimilated!

Congrats. I hope I am posting something similar this Spring. I have been digging my house out of the snow the past few days so no chance of riding anything except a snowmobile. We needed the snow though.

You've got good taste - FJR + MAC...

Hey FJRDTS,

Thanks for sharing your exhuberance with us. Bhuddist call that "beginners mind". As the newness wears off a little, remember this warmth and keep on smilin' ! Now you have the best bike and also the best forum in the world and we share in your good fortunes ! Weather permitting..Let Er Rip Brudda !!!

We ARE Blessed !

Bobby

Glad to hear you got her home safe and sound. Many great miles ahead of you. From the looks of things the '08s are about the hit the streets so hopefully it won't be much longer before I may shares some miles with you. I remember how great it was to just walk outside and look at the thing so even if the weather and studying doesn't allow you the time, nothing says you can't get a fresh cup of coffee and take a walk around the bike to refresh that grin before getting back to studying.

Sounds like quite a day...

The folks at Yamaha Sportscenter have done right by a lot of FJR owners on this forum... glad to hear another good report.

Just remember to pinch yourself every now and then so you'll know you're not dreaming. :grin:

As the newness wears off a little, remember this warmth and keep on smilin' !
Uhm.....its supposed to wear off? :huh: Lessee, I've owned an FJR since Aug. '03 and I still get "The Smile" when I ride. :D My heart still jumps when I open the kitchen-to-garage door and see MY FJR sitting there. :yahoo:

When exactly is this "newness" supposed to wane? :blink:

So, Today finally arrived, I have not slept well in three days waiting to get my New 07 FJR, after selling my motorcycle 3 years ago. Anyway, Here is how my day went:

So, We leave Dallas at 7am, my neighbor at DTS is giving me a ride and generally hanging out with me today, much thanks Christian. We get to Yamaha Sportscenter at 9:30 and I walk in and find Jerry. He takes me right out back to meet my new FJR. Man is she beautiful.

We go over the checklist (from this site) and everything is in order, then I go in and sign my life away. After that painful part was over it was time to visit the accessories department. I was in need of a helmet since I sold mine with my bike in 94. Everyone at Yamaha Sportscenter were really nice and helpful. So I got a tank bag and a tank protector while I was there :rolleyes:

Then I realized I had forgotten my headphones, so I was off to take my new bike out for a test ride and a stop by walmart for headphones. I pull the bile around to the front and Christian hands me my Jacket. I put it on and go to eave, and I cant start the bike. :dribble: so now I'm embarassed because I think I've forgotten how to start a motorcycle and I've got to walk back into the store and ask for help. gulp. OK, so its been three years, I was a little worried about what I might have forgotten. Anyway the service guys come out with charger in hand (hmm, experience?) and jump the bike. They tell me it should be fine after I ride for a few min. Now, I'm worried that I'll stall her at the light and be *#&^#$. We'll I carefully rode to wall mart, found a cheap pair of headphones, borrowed a knife from a handy boyscout outside the entrance, and got ready to go. Wow, I felt like I was on a roller coaster, or flying a fighter jet. Coming from Crusiers, this this was like strapping a rocket engine to my backside. I was thinking to myself that this much fun can't possibly be legal, then I glanced down at the speedometer and saw I was doing 80 in a 40 and realised that this much fun was not leagal, so I slowed down, at least till I got to the freeway. Yea, I may have beet some speed regulation for a couple minutes. Basically, I just drove around for awhile, put 20 or so miles on the bike and then back to the shope for a quick oil change before the drive back to Dallas.

I met Christian in the parking lot and I was practically jumping up and down with excitement. :yahoo: I can't remember when I've had this much fun. So we go across the street to Schlotskies (sp) Deli and grab a couple sandwiches. By the time we get back my bike is done, and I settle the bill and we hit the rode for the drive back. I start out leading with Christian trying to keep up in his Accord. The first hundred miles fly by, except I'm a little rusty and my legs and but are out of riding shape. I forgot that this is actually alot more active than driving my wifes minivan. Anyway, I'm having a ball and varing the speed and rev ranges to break her in. When I see in the distance a wall of red taillights approaching. CRUD. We slow down, and come to a complete stop. Not a good sign as we have already been gone to long and I know Christian has as much studing to do as I do. So I see an exit and pull up and tell Christian to follow me, and we take off down the exit. We pull over and are discussing the merits of seeing if this road will get us from the 20 to the 80 or not, then we start noticing alot of cars pulling off and going down this rode, so we take off following the heard (not generally something I do) and guess what happens?? Anyone? You there in the back , yes you, Exactly right, the road turns to dirt. Now Im slowly making my way through this bumpy dusty road and cars are passing me and spewing dirt and dust all over me and my new bike. I was not a happy camper let me tell you.

This lasted for awhile and we finally come out at a freeway. Yea!! Except, wait a tic, its the 20 again. GRRR! So we get back in the long line, and this is really starting to harsh my buzz, when I see a mile marker and realise we just cut 8 miles off the backup and were only 2 miles from the 80! Sweet. All in well once more. So right before the intersection, the conctruction clears and the traffic starts moving again. We high tail it back to DTS and out waiting wifes. My wife runs out with her helmet and we go for a quick ride, down the road grab a quick coffee and back home where she had to watch someones kids for a bit.

I show the bike to my son (5 years old) and he gets a kick out of revving the engine and standing in front of the headlights. Then I go park it and run into the other FJR owner on campus. He congratulates me and we discuss farkles for a bit.

I get in, clean up my gear and sit down to write you fine folks and tell you about my day. Basically I kept looking down at the bike and thinking , I cant believe I'm riding an FJR! :D This is like the best bike in the world. I can't believe I ever rode anything else. I can't believe how much fun this is. I thank God that I have been so blessed this year. Work has gone well, my daughter was born in Feb, My old job kicked in some dough so I could get a new Laptop (my first Mac) and my job agreed to get me an IPhone, and now, I tooling around on a brand New FJR. Yikes. I can't believe how much I have been blessed this year. Sorry, anyway, back to the bike.

The height (seat at lowest setting) seems perfect. The handlebars felt pretty good, although both my hands are sore and a throttlemister is prob. in the picture. My bum hurt a little, but there is no way I could afford a custom seat, so I'll just get used to this one, it is still much better that my VSTAR 1100 Custom. The power this bike has is really impressive. I was a little worried about remembering how to shift, or all the safty reminders everyone tole me about like, "Ok your coming off a cruiser, so this bike is taller, so be carefull, it is heaver, so be carefull. It is more top-heavy, so be carefull. It is much faster, so be carefull." Well, I was a little nervious after hearing all this for awhile. But let me tell you, after the second or third red light, I was riding the FJR like we were old friends. I love this BIKE!!

Oh, I forgot to mention that it was a bit cloudy, the temp was 80 degrees and it was a beautiful day. I just wish that this rain front that is currently descending on us and perhaps bringing freezing rain, would go away and let me ride my bike. But then again, I do have to get mucho studying done.

Anyhoo, thanks to all the good advice from you all and a bid Howdy to the Texas FJR riders. I prob. won't be able to come to the lunch tomorrow as I might have a date with the wife. And she just let me buy an FJR so, she gets whatever she wants!

Blessings to all,

FJR@DTS
Glad all went well. I'm sorry I couldn't be there when you picked up your bike, but I am sure we will see you on the road! Don't forget the SFO is in North Arkansas in 2008. We look forward to seeing a lot of our cutomers at that event.

Best regards and thank you for your past and future business,

Tony

It's great to hear things are going so well for you! :clapping:

It was only two months ago that I too experienced my FJR for the first time after many years with cruisers (the last to be a RoadStar) and I can really relate to your sense of good old fun riding this machine. :yahoo: It's so much fun in fact that I still am determined to ride even this last weekend when the temp was 27 degrees! I did cheat with a Gerbing jacket liner, but it was great just to get out. :rolleyes:

The FJR Forum is also a great place to spend some time especially when the weather doesn't cooperate!

Enjoy!! :rolleyes:

:yahoo: Congrats. I too am coming off a Star Cruiser to an 07. Your story is what i think mine will be like when I finally get the bike in my name. I picked it up pre owned and the finance company is doin the float game on me...I only rode it a couple of miles to the dealer for a check out. That was enough to know that I think the star is on its way out and this bike is going to be all that I wanted it to be. Its killing me because I have have the bike but cant ride it until its in my name. Ill give you my first outing report when the title clears and the temp rises a bit here in Ol Virginny.

Blessings to all,

FJR@DTS

Best give SWMBO the complete attention she deserves. :) Congrats on your new ride. 3 1/2 years after getting my FJR I'm still in love with it.

Sounds like quite a day...
The folks at Yamaha Sportscenter have done right by a lot of FJR owners on this forum... glad to hear another good report.

Just remember to pinch yourself every now and then so you'll know you're not dreaming. :grin:
Congrats DTS,,,,Welcome to the madness!

+1 for Tony O and the Yamaha Sportscenter team....