FJR Electircal Harness Faulty?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

FJRblue#5

I bought my FJR early July with much excitement. Drove it home from the dealer (about 30 miles) and attempted to do the Motor man break in procedure. I could not...

The bike would start breaking up between 4-5 grand on the tack, could not get it above 6. When I got home I called the dealer and the Service Mngr said could be bad gas.

I was pissed but tried to stay calm... siphoned out the gas and put in fresh gas warmed it up and changed the oil. I took it out expecting a smooth ride and the same thing. Seemed like a rev limiter was kicking in, I could hardly get to 5-6 grand on the tack. I kept pushing it thinking maybe bad gas needed to be flushed out.

Engine light (yellow) came on and registered codes 11 & 13 (I think) barely got it home. Called the dealer back and they said bring it in. Limped to the dealer trying drive it real soft but still had the engine cut-out going on...

Dealer worked on it for a week with Yamaha and they at first thought a couple of sensors were bad, then the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) . But when the ECU was disconnected the sensors tested good as well as the ECU. Yamaha said this indicated a bad wire harness. So one was ordered... A week later the wrong one came in (non-ABS) and a new one on order from Japan.

Just talked to Yamaha customer service... Japan is closed until Tuesday??? So part will not be shipped until Tue Wed. I've owned the bike for over a month and only have a hundred (sh!ty) miles on it.

GRRrrrrr!!!!

ADVISE PLEASE.

Yep, I'd want a loaner. Something. Bastards. Dealer apologetic or upset?

Since they ordered the wrong part, they ought to make it good to you somehow.

Not much else you can do, though. Not even close to qualifying for the lemon law are you? Tell them they can have it back, go buy another one somewhere esle?

I have a buddy who had a similar problem with his Harley Ultra. Twice. Then he got hit and had to have a new frame AND a new wiring harness. He's always having problems with his. I never had any problems with mine, though. Nor my FJR.

What a pisser!

Perhaps you could start a third thread on this same subject in Parts and Accessories, and a fourth in the Classifieds. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you could start a third thread on this same subject in Parts and Accessories, and a fourth in the Classifieds. ;)
Radmanese to FJRForumese translation:

"Welcome to the board, new guy!"

:lmao:

Not trying to be too jerky here, it's just that, even with the problem out the door (which sucks, but thats why they have warranties) a double thread on the same subject is a bit much. Not to mention selecting a screen name of FJRblues. Guaranteed bad karma dude.

Guess we scared him off. Must be a troll. Sounds like a troll anyway.

Kinda seems that way doesn't it? Bought early July, first posts here are not to ask for advice (though he asks it at the end, advice on what?) or to say hey, but to complain. Didn't a fellow get banned recently who kind of had that format?

Sorry for the long rant but since July this has been hangin over my head and just needed to vent. I looked at several dealers for several weeks (last year also) and there were no FJRs to be had. Then in May they started saying June they were getting some in. I never “ordered” one but Finally in July I had (3 dealers) 5 to chose from (only 2 ABS) and I got a good deal on it…

What would make me happy would be to be riding around on my FJR with no problems. A BJ and a new bike would be nice also...

Too bad I wasn't around last night to answer your concerns... Not a troll but was kind of whining... but just pissed because electrical problems can be hard to fix. Not to mention I've only ridden the bike 100 miles.

I got my fingers crossed that a new wiring harness will make every thing nice.

Ok you want specific questions for advice:

What recourse do I have? I called Yamaha Customer Service and they offered a $300 credit towards the Yamaha Ext Service... I'll take that...

Has anyone heard of wire harness problems before?

What do you think damaged during install?

I know the engines are made to handle a lot but do you think riding like that could cause any damage? The yellow engine light did come on several times.

CT has a lemon law guess I could look in to that.

I’d love to say to the dealer its yours I don’t want it but it’s bought and paid for…

I will change my name once the problems are fixed.

Lemon law only applies after repeated attempts and failures to fix a problem. No kind of riding can hurt the feej motor. Hard to say what part of the harness failed-if any. After all, they don't have it running yet. Cross your fingers that this is indeed the problem. If Yam is willing to discount the YES, is it only through this dealer, or anywhere. If open, this would bring the cost at D&H down to $89. Good luck.

Thanks Radman,

Fingers are crossed. I'm going to stop down to the dealer this afternoon and get the YES for free...

Also to talk to the mechanic and ask what kind of beer he likes...

Can't wait to ride. Some of my Harley friends gave me a hard time about buying the FJR… I told them I’d rather have the FJR than any Harley for the same price… anyway now they are asking to see it.

I have not had the stomach to tell them its been in the shop…

My '04 FJR came with wiring problems, I had various lights at both ends that didn't work. The dealer 'fiddled' with some of the connectors and suddenly things worked. Everything has worked for the last 16k miles but there is still some weirdness that I need to take care of over the winter. My switched voltage fluctuates randomly about .7 volts (13.1 to 13.8volts) and my battery voltage at 3k rpm is around 14.0 which is a tad low, the battery would really like to see 14.3 volts.

Alan

What recourse do I have? I called Yamaha Customer Service and they offered a $300 credit towards the Yamaha Ext Service...  I'll take that...
If they offer the credit, ask if it can be applied to a YES contract through a dealer of your choice. If not, pass on it and ask for something else. The YES straight to owners via Yamaha is nearly $700 or $800. D&H Cycles sells it with just a very slight mark up for $389 for 48 months extra. That would be +48 months for $89 if Yamaha gives you a $300 voucher. Nice. Otherwise it'll bee $300 off list and cost you money over D&H's regular price.