FJR Focus Group

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR919

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from an organization looking to get FJR1300 owners together to discuss motorcycles. The letter said to call the office upon receipt. I called and they asked me a few background questions; my age, years riding, miles per year, etc.. I was told I was eligible for the group and they would pay me $300 for the three hours of time it would take. I went there last night and I believe there was nine of us. We were not told who was sponsoring the focus group, but we would figure it out as the meeting progressed.

We were all hoping it was Yamaha and that we would be giving input into future FJR development. It turned out that the sponsor was BMW. It seems that they are surprised that their K1200GT and their R1200GT have not taken a bigger market share away from the FJR. Many in the group (myself included) felt that the looks of both bikes, particularly the K, don't hold a candle to the FJR. And then price enters the picture and you have a motorcycle that doesn't compare in value to the FJR. We discussed styling cues on these bikes as well as the ST1300 and the not yet released Concours.

This was held in Harrison New York, and there was another board member there (my apologies, I forgot his board name). Overall, interesting group of people, we were fed sandwiches and snacks and got to talk about motorcycles for three hours. And then we were given six $50 bills each for our time. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

Sounds interesting. Once you guys figured out that BMW was the sponsor, did the tone of the conversation change any?

my name is donaldb..............and I'm a FJRolic.........I have gone 5 hours and 26 min w/out a ride

How the hell did they know you had an FJR and, better yet, how'd they get your addy? Fuckin' Krauts is up to no good, I tells ya! :p

Sounds interesting. Once you guys figured out that BMW was the sponsor, did the tone of the conversation change any?
I think we were all a little disappointed, but the tone didn't change that much. Once it was out that this was done by BMW, we were asked to come up with profiles of what we thought a typical K1200 or R1200 rider would be like. Strande sheet of questions for the profile though.

How the hell did they know you had an FJR and, better yet, how'd they get your addy? Fuckin' Krauts is up to no good, I tells ya! :p
I don't know. Maybe from DMV records or the same database the extended warranty companies use to try and sell you an extended when your factory one is almost up.

I don't know. Maybe from DMV records or the same database the extended warranty companies use to try and sell you an extended when your factory one is almost up.
Nah..........more than likely they got it from something you filled out at a bike show/register to win, etc........where they ask you what kind of bike you own, name and address, etc. Most of those org's sell that info for subjects such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like something they would do. Although it seems to me that BMW could have went and purchased a few FJRs for themselves to test. If I was the competition I would go to my competitor and find out the reasons their product was better. Well, I hope you had a good time at least.

But they weren't after their opinions, they wanted FJR riders opinions about the BMW's..

I don't know which bike is the dominant bike in the market place but it's good to hear that BMW is at least concerned about lack of market share.

Now Yamaha should do the same to ensure they retain their market share.

Ever wonder why those BMWs are so expensive? $2,700.00 to pick people's brains, the cost of the facility, the cost of the survey overhead, the cost of the consulting company doing to work...

Something they could have probably gotten for free by standing around a bike show with a clip board.

No... the reason BMW's are more expensive is German labor laws and other factors that tend to slow their entire economy.

Even if you could buy either bike for the same money, I'd pick the FJR... (except I like the BMW front suspension).

Trush Me they are up to something --- I don't know what it is but be very careful when near a BMW dealership. You and your FJR might just come up missing. They are everywhere.

Maybe we should start a fund to combat this threat????? 300 bucks!!! and I would have told them for free!!!!!!!

I was there also. It was very interesting to go and speak with all there. Great bunch of guys.

I thought it was going to be a Yamaha thing, but I guess in a way it was.

The $300 will come in very handy. Since I got a performance award on the way there.

65 in a 40.

Then I got a ticket this morning for lane splitting.

And to top it all off. Just as I was pulling on to the road my office is on, I hit a patch of antifreeze and lowsided my Buell.

So to say I've had a shitty last 24 hrs. would be an understatement.

I was there also. It was very interesting to go and speak with all there. Great bunch of guys.

The $300 will come in very handy. Since I got a performance award on the way there.

65 in a 40.

And to top it all off. Just as I was pulling on to the road my office is on, I hit a patch of antifreeze and lowsided my Buell.

Tim,

It was nice to have met you, and you're right-it was a good group of guys. Sorry that your performance award cut into the profits from the evening. Regards, Chris

The $300 will come in very handy. Since I got a performance award on the way there.65 in a 40.

What have you done?

Hope things turn around for you soon!

Part of my job is to perform similar research, though not in the motorcycle industry. I don't get a budget to pay people to answer my questions. If BMW is funding research at that level then they are very concerned. Wish I had been invited.

Part of my job is to perform similar research, though not in the motorcycle industry. I don't get a budget to pay people to answer my questions. If BMW is funding research at that level then they are very concerned. Wish I had been invited.

They should be concerned ....all their bikes look like they got hit with the Ugly Stick !! :rolleyes:

65 in a 40.

Dang.................you must have stepped on a elf's tail or sump'n

I don't know which bike is the dominant bike in the market place.
I do and so does BMW, hence the meeting. The FJR is the top selling sporttourer (at least in the U.S.)

Smart move by BMW now if they could just get over themselves and lower the price, fix their ABS, go to one turn signal switch, make the bike better looking....Aahhhh never mind I have a FJR.

Steve