Fjr forum newbie

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! 3rd FJR and just joining? You'll be glad you found us! Do you prefer the first gen, or was it what was available?
Hi definitely prefer gen 1 ,do all my own mechanicals but it’s always good to have a forum specific to your motorcycle to back up what your doing 👍👍
The gen 2 bike (2008model) I had ,was an ex uk police bike and had a fortune in maintenance done to it according to the service dockets (£12000) but had the cam tick at idle although it didn’t affect performance it was annoying !!!

Hi definitely prefer gen 1 ,do all my own mechanicals but it’s always good to have a forum specific to your motorcycle to back up what your doing 👍👍
The gen 2 bike (2008model) I had ,was an ex uk police bike and had a fortune in maintenance done to it according to the service dockets (£12000) but had the cam tick at idle although it didn’t affect performance it was annoying !!!
Welcome! Never heard about a "cam tick" on a Gen II. Just the "valve tick" fairly common to early Gen I. There were, however, issues with the CCT (cam chain tensioner) for some Gen I and 2006-8 Gen II. More of a rattle on cold startup than a tick and easily remedied by replacing the CCT with a re-designed one (identified with a Blue or Green dot on the mounting flange). Failure to replace resulted in a few catastrophic engine failures.

Welcome! Never heard about a "cam tick" on a Gen II. Just the "valve tick" fairly common to early Gen I. There were, however, issues with the CCT (cam chain tensioner) for some Gen I and 2006-8 Gen II. More of a rattle on cold startup than a tick and easily remedied by replacing the CCT with a re-designed one (identified with a Blue or Green dot on the mounting flange). Failure to replace resulted in a few catastrophic engine failures.

The Tick was NOT "fairly common" on Gen1 IMO. Would you SWAG that it was less than 5% (and probably lower)?

My perspective was that we just heard about it a lot from those affected and those asking for more detail.

The Tick was NOT "fairly common" on Gen1 IMO. Would you SWAG that it was less than 5% (and probably lower)?

My perspective was that we just heard about it a lot from those affected and those asking for more detail.
I have no idea of the proportion of early Gen I bikes that were tickers. Nor do I know the number of tickers that were never formally diagnosed. (I'm sure that there were owners who simply elected to live with it or perhaps never even recognized it as an issue if it wasn't severe.) That said, I probably overstated by saying "fairly common" when a more accurate statement might have been "more common relative to later models". As with things like self-destructing BMW final drives and oil-leaking Harleys, the Internet tends to exaggerate the numbers of problematic motorcycles.

Loved my very early '03 Gen1 delivered in July '02. With help from my dealer's head mechanic, I had the valves replaced twice by Yamaha. Second time around, they put in newer valve seals which solved the problem. I crossed paths with a couple other cases at rallies but wouldn't have said that it was at all common a problem.

I have no idea of the proportion of early Gen I bikes that were tickers. Nor do I know the number of tickers that were never formally diagnosed. (I'm sure that there were owners who simply elected to live with it or perhaps never even recognized it as an issue if it wasn't severe.) That said, I probably overstated by saying "fairly common" when a more accurate statement might have been "more common relative to later models". As with things like self-destructing BMW final drives and oil-leaking Harleys, the Internet tends to exaggerate the numbers of problematic motorcycles.

Of even the more concise: Occasionally or Rarely

The other might seem almost inflammatory in some spaces.