FJR Forum Rides Again to Old Mexico; On Road Motos!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
FJR Forum Ride to San Carlos and Banamichi, Sonora Estado, Mexico 4/1-4/5 of 2011.

We of FJR Forum are once again riding to Mexico, but this time paved, on road bikes.

We'll spend Thursday night March 31 at the Motel 6 in Nogales, Arizona; Group Dinner!

On Friday morning April 1 at 0800 we will cross into Mexico at the Mariposa Truck Crossing and proceed to Mexican Immigration Bldg. 18 kilometers South of the Border.

We will secure, only as needed, Mexican Tourist Permits and Vehicle Import Permits; and Sonora Only Cards for those just going to the resort city of San Carlos-Guaymas.

https://www.sancarlosplaza.com.mx/eng/index.htm We will spend Friday and Saturday nights at the luxurious San Carlos Plaza Resort. Beautiful la Playa (beach) and jet skis can be rented there. The food is muy Delicioso and las Margaritas are very strong too.

On Saturday a boat tour and snorkeling trip can be arranged to watch dolphins and seals.

Sunday we'll sleep in until Noon and then ride to historic Banamichi in Eastern Sonora.

https://www.losarcossonora.com We will spend Sunday and Monday nights at the Hotel Los Arcos de Sonora. On Monday horseback riding and jeep tours can be arranged for.

On Tuesday afternoon we will once again cross into Estados Unidos. All of our permits will be turned in at this time, unless you wish to keep them for the entire 180 day limit.

Questions: Please call or e-mail Papa Chuy Viejo Medina at 480-440-4666 [email protected]

ATENCION: If you wish to use this trip as a springboard to ride South to Mazatlan and use the ferry to cross over to Baja California Sur, Papa Chuy Viejo Medina will show you the procedures and walk you through the process of obtaining your Mexico Tourist Permit and your Banjercito–Mexico Vehicle Import Permit; not required for San Carlos.

NOTE, POR FAVOR: You can cross over to Baja California Norte using the ferry from Guaymas to Santa Rosalia https://www.ferrysantarosalia.com This ferry is old and slow.

You can also cross over to Baja California Sur using the Mazatlan to La Paz ferry which is new and fast: https://www.bajaferries.com/index_ing.html Mazatlan's a gorgeous Ciudad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Melanie and Brian are in !

Of course, April 1-3 weekend is also AZ Bike Week weekend, and I had already signed up for an AZ Beemers booth. But, I guess the attendees of AZBW will just have to go without seeing REAL motorcycles.
Es Magnifico Brian and Melanie! Papa Chuy and "La Princesa" Donna wouldn't ride to Old Mexico without "La Reina" y "El Jefe"! Mas Caminos y Mas Amigos y Mas Fiesta! Mas baile, tequila y cervezas!

So whats the cost of this trip going to be? I just might be available and haven't been to Guaymas for 30+ years, and never on Mi motocicleta!

Here are the photos from the last Club ride to San Carlos:

Brian and Melanie waiting for Desayuno (breakfast) on El Patio at San Carlos Resort.

MexicoApril2010018.jpg

All dressed up and going out to dinner. San Carlos has some great "Los Gringos" Cantinas!

MexicoApril2010011.jpg

La Piscina (swimming pool) is the place to hang out. Swim up bar and cocktail waitresses.

MexicoApril2010009.jpg

Los Mexicano Ninos (kids) loved Papa Chuy! I'd slide down into the pool and make waves for them to body surf on, they never wanted me to stop sliding!

MexicoApril2010006.jpg

I made about a 3'-4' wave on this slide. The kids were screaming "Surf's Up" en Espanol; and Cowabunga and Banzai too!

MexicoApril2010008.jpg

Every meal is muy Fantastico y mucho Delicioso at San Carlos Plaza Resort; authentic la Comida (food) Mexicana!

MexicoApril2010003.jpg

The roads we will be riding on this Sonora run are perfect for FJR's, Gold Wings and BMW RT's or LT's!

MexicoApril2010001.jpg

So whats the cost of this trip going to be? I just might be available and haven't been to Guaymas for 30+ years, and never on Mi motocicleta!
Hola Bud,

San Carlos Resort runs approximately $120 a night and the Hotel Los Arcos de Sonora is approximately $80 a night, but the SC is a four star and LC is a three star hotel. If I am going solo to San Carlos, without my Girlfriend Donna, I just stay at the Hacienda Tetakawi for $40 a night; one star.

If you need a regular Mexico Tourist Permit it's $22 and the Vehicle Import Permit is $54; but these are only required if riding to Mazatlan or Baja.

Sonora Only Permit is free! NOTE: We may need Banjercitos and Carta Turistas for Banamichi, I'm going to Phoenix Mexican Consulate to check this.

Magna Sin Premio Gasolina cheaper than in Estados Unidos and I figure $10 for each meal; my tequila and cerveza tab runs about $30 daily in Mexico!

Suerte, Donaldo

Muchas Gracias Don, I'm going to try to make this trip. It sounds like a good one! :) I need to bone up on my Spanish for our trip in June, south of Cancun. 10 days of Fishing, Golf, Eating and drinking, and my daughter getting married too. Woo Hoo Viva La Mexico! :yahoo:

Here are more pictures from last year's San Carlos and Rocky Point Club MEX ride:

Here's the kind of bike most Mexican's own. It's a Chinese made Dynamo Intrepida. Old Michael also owns one of these!

IMG_0015.JPG

Saturday morning we decided to go boat touring and snorkeling. We rode over to Gary's Dive shop. Yep, ATGATT !

IMG_0016.JPG

Here's a pano of the harbor.

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

Boats going in and out.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Local fisherman(bird).

IMG_0021.JPG

Heading out.

IMG_0022.JPG

Looking back at the inlet area.

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

And at the Caracol Neighborhood.

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

Crew at the bridge.

IMG_0027.JPG

Lots of inlets and small rock islands in the area.

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

When we got to a shallow bay, the crew started clapping and whistling. The was to attract the dolphins to the bow wake. I tried to get a picture of them jumping the wake, but I missed them. In this pix, look closely at the still water to the right and you can see 2 dolphins wake surfing.

IMG_0035.JPG

From there we cruised over to the snorkeling cove.

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

Here's Brian and Papa Chuy in the water. Sorry, no pix of us putting on wetsuits. We saw a variety of starfish, lots of small tropical fish, urchins, crabs, an eel, some puke green corals and lots of other sea critters.

IMG_0039.JPG

Ah, sunset on a Mexico beach.

IMG_0040.JPG

We went to Resturante Arbolitos, which had some excellent and unusual dishes. Chuy had fish filet in a creamy spinach sauce and Brian had shrimp in a chile poblano sauce. Yum.

IMG_0041.JPG

For Sunday breakfast, Rosa's Cantina is the place to go.

IMG_0042.JPG

We had decided that instead of crossing the border on Sunday, we would go to Rocky Point and cross there Monday morning. So Sunday was a ride up past Hermosillo, then west to Rocky. Here we are on the road. Brian was wearing a surgical mask. The pollen was really bad last year.

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

On the way, Brian's old Goldwing had yet another electrical fart. After a quick bump start, we got it rolling. Turns out the water dried out of the battery. New water and it was good to go. Yep, keep up with those maintenance schedules!

IMG_0045.JPG

But all's well that ends up in a cantina on the beach. We stayed at Playa Bonita, one of the oldest, but still best hotels in Rocky.

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

The can even make Crepes Flambe.

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

Monday, we returned, with a very quick border crossing. Coming back on Monday was a good plan.

Muchas Gracias Don, I'm going to try to make this trip. It sounds like a good one! :) I need to bone up on my Spanish for our trip in June, south of Cancun. 10 days of Fishing, Golf, Eating and drinking, and my daughter getting married too. Woo Hoo Viva La Mexico! :yahoo:
Sounds Great, NMRoadRunner! I'm envious of You, Your Wife and Your Family in going to Cancun. In my 100+ rides and probably almost 100K miles ridden in Mexico, I've never been to the Yucatan Peninsula/Estado! The closest I've ridden to is Puebla Ciudad and it's muy Loco I've never explored Estados Campeche and Quintana Roo.

Tio Chuy, Your Sobrino Enrique would like to join you all in Mexico. As of now I'll be alone. Wife schedule unknown and she still has young kids to raise, Mexico not safe enough for her.
Please tell Dawn she's safe in Sonora, Mexico, she'll have the tough and strong arms of SkooterG to protect her: When one needs protection, you need a Policeman like SkootyG-GregM, ese!

I have a potential project in Portland that might interfere. But, all things being equal count me in.
Sounds great JerryZ, I hope you can make the San Carlos Run. Just some food for thought: If you have to fly to Portland on Monday, April 4 here is my recommendation. Ride with Don-Donna, Brian-Melanie and the others North on Mexico Route 15, just North of Hermosillo is our turn off to Banamichi on Sunday 4/3.

From our turnoff to the border in Nogales is only 175 miles/285 kilometers, all on Cuota/Autopista Mexico 15 Toll Road. You will be crossing back into USA midday and should have no delays at the border. I'd imagine others will be riding with you, those only wanting a three day weekend instead of five days.

Just a shout out to you Don! What a great forum member for organizing and assisting folks on these memorable trips. Truly a great thing that you do.

I appreciate the pictures as it's wonderful to visit these places through your eyes.

Ride safe everybody!

Eight weeks from now FJR Forum is riding into Mexico, if you are only going with us to San Carlos, then all that is required of you is your valid passport and Mexican Insurance on your motocicleta from https://www.mexpro.com

However, if you are going on with the main group to Banamichi, you will need a Mexican Vehicle Import Permit and a Mexican Tourist permit. If so, please read the following information carefully. In particular, if your moto is financed, you will need a Release Letter authorizing and approving your bringing the vehicle into Mexico. I have had motorcycles financed with both BMW Financial Credit and Harley-Davidson Services, no big deal getting this Release Letter from either of these lending institutions: But I recommend you request this item now, DO NOT WAIT!

Vehicle Permits & Banjercito: Vehicle Permits for Mexico

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/siteBanjer/Bicentenario/iitv/instruccionesIITV_ing.html

FAQs About How to Import Your Vehicle at Banjercito

Banjercito - Mexico's Banco Nacional del Ejército Fuerza Aérea y Armada - is the government authority who issues vehicle permits.

NO VEHICLE IMPORT PERMIT IS NECESSARY TO DRIVE IN THE ENTIRE BAJA PENINSULA OR ROCKY POINT.

Vehicle import permits are needed if you travel outside of Baja or outside the border zones (generally further than 16 miles from the border) or outside the permit-free zones of Sonora.

Looking for a Sonora Only permit? Read our article: Sonora Only Vehicle Permits

Vehicle permits may be obtained thru Banjercito's online process, at a Banjercito office at the border or at certain Mexican Consulates (listed below).

Don't forget your Mexican insurance policy.

Need a Mexican Vehicle Permit? Get One Online at Banjercito!

Banjercito's online vehicle permit registration offers travelers to Mexico an easy way to get their temporary importation vehicle permit by mail (if time allows) or to pre-register online and save time picking it up at Banjercito later.

Features of pre-registration:

Vehicles, motorhomes and boats may be pre-registered

Accelerates the process of picking up your permit at a Banjercito office

This feature may be used up until the day before you go to Mexico

A pre-registration code will be issued for you to take to a Banjercito office

Bring all required documentation so it can be verified

After your trip, remember to return with the vehicle to the Banjercito office to return the permit

Features of completing the entire process and payment online:

Available for vehicles, motorhomes and boats

May be mailed to you by FedEx or another courier service

May be completed as far as 60 days in advance

Requires at least 7-10 days lead time before your trip

After your trip, remember to return with the vehicle to the Banjercito office to return the permit

Access Banjercito's online application directly

Do I need a vehicle permit to drive in Baja and the border zones?

No permit is required if you plan to stay within 25 kilometers (16 miles) of the border, known as the "border zone", or anywhere in the Baja California peninsula.

Do I need a vehicle permit to visit Sonora?

Maybe. If you are visiting Rocky Point, Guaymas, San Carlos, Hermosillo, Bahia de Kino, Caborca, Father Kino Missions, Magdalena and Santa Ana you will not need a vehicle permit. If you are visiting other cities that are further south or east of the 15, but will stay in Sonora, you qualify for the Sonora Only permit.

What about to drive in the rest of Mexico?

If you plan to drive south of the border zone, or outside of the Sonora permit-free area or outside Baja (to some destinations reached by ferry), you must obtain a temporary importation vehicle permit online, at the border, or from certain Mexican consulates (read below).

How much does a vehicle permit cost?

Fees for a vehicle permit in $USD, including IVA are:

$29.70 at Banjercito offices at the border

$39.60 from Mexican consulates

$49.50 from the Banjercito website

How much does a vehicle permit cost for a recreational vehicle (RV)?

Fees in $USD, including IVA are:

$51.75 at Banjercito offices at the border

$49.50 from Mexican consulates

How much does a permit cost to import a boat?

Fees in $USD, including IVA are:

$51.75 at Banjercito offices at the border

$49.50 from Mexican consulates

If I am making payments on my vehicle, what do I need in order to take my vehicle to Mexico?

Many banks and finance companies require you to take a letter of permission with you to Mexico. In order to issue the letter of permission, many companies will require proof of Mexican insurance first. Contact your bank or finance company for further information. Buy your policy online instantly.

Is it easy to send my policy to my bank or finance company?

Yes. If you purchase your policy online, you will have immediate access to your policy and may fax it through our system to your bank or email the policy in pdf format. Please call us at 1-888-552-2252 or email us if you would like assistance. We will need the fax number or email address of your bank and any other information that will help us get it to the correct department or person.

What information do I need to get a vehicle permit online?

A document that proves your citizenship (you will need to enter the document number):

Passport or passport card

Certificate of naturalization

Resident alien card

Date you will enter Mexico

Email address - Will be used to send a confirmation email with a reference number

Number of passengers in your vehicle

Address - This is the address the permit will be mailed to

Your vehicle's VIN number

Credit or debit card that allows foreign transactions

*Note: To apply for a vehicle permit online, you cannot use a birth certificate as proof of citizenship, but this is accepted if you apply in person.

If I pre-register, where do I pick up my vehicle permit?

Pre-registered vehicle permits may be picked up at any Banjercito Module located at the border. See below for a list of locations.

If I pre-register, what documents do I need to bring with me to pick up my permit?

The documents you used to complete the online application will be required to pick up your permit (bring a copy or two along). These documents could include your passport or passport card and vehicle registration or title. Remember to bring your pre-registration code. If you need permission to take the vehicle to Mexico, i.e. if you are making payments or the vehicle is rented, it is important to bring the proof that the vehicle may leave the country in the form of a letter from your bank or a car rental agreement that states the vehicle may be in Mexico. Remember to buy Mexican insurance before your trip. It is easier to buy online than at the border.

If I receive my permit by mail, what documents do I need to take with me to Mexico?

Bring all documents used to complete the online application, i.e. passport, and a copy or two of those documents as well as your vehicle registration or title, the vehicle permit you received from Banjercito and the sticker to adhere to your windshield. If you were required to get a letter of permission from your bank to take the vehicle into Mexico, it is important to bring the letter with you. Remember to buy Mexican insurance before your trip. It is easier to buy Mexican insurance online than at the border. Remember to stop at the border for your tourist card (FM-T) if you need one!

What are the requirements to get a vehicle permit in person at a Mexican consulate or Banjercito office?

Make sure you have the original (or a notorized copy) and two photocopies of the following documents:

One of the following documents that prove your citizenship:

Passport or passport card

Birth certificate

Certificate of naturalization

Your vehicle registration or vehicle title (pink slip) - The vehicle registration must be in the driver's name.

A lease contract if the vehicle is leased or a rental contract if it rented

If you owe money on the vehicle through a lien holder, you must provide a notarized letter of permission

A Mexican tourist card (FM-T) or visa for travel in Mexico

Now that I have all the necessary documents, what do I do next?

Make sure you have Mexican Auto Insurance

Look for the "Módulo de Control Vehícular" or Mexican Customs (Aduana México) signs that say "Importación Temporal de Vehículos" where you are crossing.

This next step is determined by whether or not you have an internationally accepted credit card. If you have an international credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diner's Club) the next part is easy. The credit card must be in the name of whoever is listed on the vehicle registration! You will be required to charge a non-refundable fee of $16.50 (including the IVA) to your credit card at the Banjercito which is within the Customs area. Banjercito hours of operation at different border crossings are listed below. If you do not have an international credit card, read about making a cash deposit.

Making a cash deposit for your permit:

Only required if you do not have a credit card

2000 and newer models, USD $400.00

1995-1999 models, USD $300.00

models previous to 1995, USD $200.00

Which Mexican Consulates issue temporary vehicle import permits?

California: Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Sacramento

Arizona: Phoenix

Texas: Dallas, Houston, Austin

New Mexico: Albuquerque

Colorado: Denver

Illinois: Chicago

How long can I keep my car in Mexico?

Temporary vehicle importation permits are valid for up to six months. Within this period you may enter and exit the country with your vehicle as many times as you want. Make sure that you get the full six months worth stamped on your permit- its probably wise to do so even if you don't plan to stay that long. If your vehicle is in the country for longer than the permit allows, it can be confiscated by the Mexican authorities.

Why do I have to return my vehicle permit when I leave Mexico?

The vehicle permit must be returned to authorities when you leave Mexico so that the permit is canceled and authorities know the vehicle is no longer in Mexico. It is important to bring your vehicle, the permit and the sticker with you. Vehicle permits may NOT be canceled any other way. If you drive home without canceling your permit, you risk having to drive all the way back to Mexico to return the permit.

I have more questions. How can I find out more information?

You may like to read a courtesy translation on our website of Banjercito's FAQs. If you need to contact Banjercito directly, we suggest emailing them at permisovehiculos(at)banjercito.com.mx.

What are Banjercito's hours of operation?

Unless noted otherwise, Banjercito offices are open on holidays and follow the same schedule listed below

Banjercito Office - Nogales, Sonora

Baja California Norte (California Border Points)

Tijuana

8am-12am - 7 days a week

Otay Mesa

8am-12am - 7 days a week

Tecate

8am-8pm Monday-Friday

10am-2pm Saturday

Closed on Sunday

Mexicali

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Mexicali - Annex

8am-4pm Monday-Friday

10am-2pm Saturday

Closed on Sunday

Baja California Sur

La Paz (Pichilingue)

9am-2pm - 7 days a week

Sonora (Arizona Border Points)

San Luis Rio Colorado

8am-12am - 7 days a week

San Emeterio (Sonoyta)

8am-12am - 7 days a week

Nogales (Km 21)

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Naco - Anexo

8am-12am - 7 days a week

Agua Prieta

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Cananea

8am-6pm Monday-Friday

8am-1pm Saturday & Sunday

Chihuahua (Texas Border Points)

Cd. Juarez (Km. 30)

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Palomas

8am-12am - 7 days a week

Pte. Int. Ojinaga

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Piedras Negras (Km. 54.3)

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Acuña

24 hrs - 7 days a week

San Jeronimo

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Tamaulipas

Nuevo Laredo (Patio Fiscal)

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Nuevo Laredo (Puente Internacional I & II)

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Reynosa

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Nuevo Amanecer

8am-12am - 7 days a week

Ciudad Camargo

8am-12am - 7 days a week

San Jeronimo

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Matamoros Pta. Dos

9am-6pm Monday-Friday

9am-4pm Saturday

Closed Sunday

Puente Nuevo

24 hrs - 7 days a week

Puente Ignacio Zaragoza

9am-9pm - 7 days a week

Puente TLC

9am-6pm Monday-Friday

9am-4pm Saturday

Closed Sunday

If you want to meet a Senorita en Sonora Estado, this will at least get you started in talking to una Mujere. Even ShinyPartsUp stands a chance of getting laid in Mexico, if he can memorize the words to this song!

Bump Reminder, our preferred Mexican Motorcycle Insurance company is https://www.mexpro.com Best Rates and Great Coverage with Quick Response!

"Don, Ignore it, I found it, Mex Pro.

Thanks - Chuck

Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2011 12:45 PM

To: '[email protected]'

Subject: Sonora ride

Hi Don,

Got our reservations made, and, believe it or not, Gayla is coming too. I cannot find the name of the insurance co. in Flag. Would you happen to have it off the top of your head? If so, write it down.

Muchos Gracias!"

One Semester of Spanish - Spanish Love Song!

That was fricking hilarious! And I understood most of it too!

Six weeks from today our FJR Forum is riding to Mexico, to both San Carlos and Banamichi for five days. It can also just be a three day weekend if you want to enjoy San Carlos only!

With 6 weeks remaining you still have time to obtain your US Passport, if you don't have one.

https://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html All of the US Passport information is here.