FJR or RT, Used Bike Prices

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came to the FJR after years of dirtbiking and a few years on a YZF600R Thundercat. I had a lot of fun on the Thundercat including some track days but after taking a 4000 km trip to Newfoundland I realized I needed a Sport-Tourer if I was going to do more long distance wandering. I thought I wanted a BMW but the local dealer barely wanted to talk to me.

I went back to my local dirtbike shop which is a Yamaha / Suzuki dealer and bought my 06 AE. I mostly work on my own bikes but anytime I have needed the use of a dealer this shop has treated me very well. My suggestion would be that if you are torn between the BMW of the FJR check out your local dealers and take into consideration which is the better shop to deal with. This consideration will be magnified if you are unable to perform most of the maintenance on the bike yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 09 FJ and a 2010 RT sitting my garage right now. The RT I am forced to ride and FJ is mine. If I could get rid of the RT and just ride my FJ I would do it in heart beat. I put just over 97K on an 06 RT before I got the 2010 and have not been impressed with either one. For the money, the RT should be much faster. My FJ will run circles around the RT. I will admit that the RT will stop on a dime but I traded my 07 FJ for an 09 and the brakes are just as good as the RT. I have about 25k on the 2010 RT and it has been in the shop more than all 3 of my FJ's combined. We only have one BMW shop so that might be the issue but I waited 6 weeks for a side stand. All that being said you should buy what you like so you don't waste time and money on a bike you don't really care for.