FJR Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I mentioned, TBS is not a big deal; annually is enough. Once the tank is lifted and the bike is warmed up it takes all of 15 minutes (max) if you have a 4 channel vacuum gauge. Some people have mentioned surging. I had a bit of it when I had the Power Commander but it went away after I removed it. Was never a problem and I certainly wouldn't worry about it. You mentioned clutch position. While adjusting the lever may help a bit, its likely that the clutch hydraulic system needs a good bleed. I had that issue when i first got the bike and the fresh fluid helped. I like to do the hydraulics every year although its probably not necessary.

I bought my 07 a little over 4 years ago and have 56,000 miles on it now. Other than a "spider bite" (mostly addressed by one of the recalls), it's been a great bike.

I see that yours already has sliders, which are a great addition to protect that expensive plastic in case of a tip-over. Also looks like you might have a CalSci aftermarket windshield installed. I hated the stock shield and now have aftermarket summer and winter shields that work much better to smooth airflow and reduce buffeting.

I've also installed a G2 throttle tube to get more linear throttle application. The stock tube makes it harder to apply throttle off idle without getting a sudden surge of power. Adding a PowerCommander also helps, as does going the throttle spring unwind. These are all no required mods, but for me they make a good bike even better.

I've also had issues with the key binding. One problem is the key bends very easily, which can cause binding in the tumblers. I've also had excessive crud cause binding, which requires occasional flushing/lubing with something like Triflow lubricant.

All in all, there's no other bike out there I'd rather have. And the 07 is a one of a kind color for FJR's, making it even better! :yahoo:
I'm also looking at an 08 soon, but like you I like that 07 color. This bike is 7800.00 and the 08 is about a grand more.

Thanks for noticing those items because I did not know it had any mods other than a throttlemeister which I have to have anyway.

As I mentioned, TBS is not a big deal; annually is enough. Once the tank is lifted and the bike is warmed up it takes all of 15 minutes (max) if you have a 4 channel vacuum gauge. Some people have mentioned surging. I had a bit of it when I had the Power Commander but it went away after I removed it. Was never a problem and I certainly wouldn't worry about it. You mentioned clutch position. While adjusting the lever may help a bit, its likely that the clutch hydraulic system needs a good bleed. I had that issue when i first got the bike and the fresh fluid helped. I like to do the hydraulics every year although its probably not necessary.
I do have a set of gauges and when I do the spring I will check the balance.

I don't think the clutch deal is fluid related? I think it is just me not being used to the nature of this bike, I don't remember it being an issue while riding it either.

I always change all the fluids when I get a bike, especially the brake fluid that has a two (or so)year life. It's hygroscopic and I don't want any corrosion inside all those (cheep to buy :eek: )parts.

I see what looks like an extra wire on the right handlebar? Does it have heated grips?

Remember when you bleed brakes that there are two bleeders for the front AND two bleeders for the rear (linked brake system). The second bleeder for the rear brake is on the front right caliper.

I see what looks like an extra wire on the right handlebar? Does it have heated grips?

Remember when you bleed brakes that there are two bleeders for the front AND two bleeders for the rear (linked brake system). The second bleeder for the rear brake is on the front right caliper.
OK, Thanks

Yes, it does have heated grips and a auxiliary power socket (small), I forgot about it.

1.jpg

I just got off the phone with Yamaha and the "Main Switch" recall was completed and the " Harness sub-lead" was also.

There were two service bulletins;

1. top rack mount (oem)

2. Something about the alternator? No more info on this available from them...

In the recall notation their was something about a harness that had expired? Recalls do not expire, ever!

So it must have been a procedure? She was not sure. :rolleyes:

I just got off the phone with Yamaha and the "Main Switch" recall was completed and the " Harness sub-lead" was also.

There were two service bulletins;

1. top rack mount (oem)

2. Something about the alternator? No more info on this available from them...

In the recall notation their was something about a harness that had expired? Recalls do not expire, ever!

So it must have been a procedure? She was not sure. :rolleyes:
The only other one I know about was a recall for the ECU - fixed issues with altitude changes. See forum discussion.

Well after speaking with the guy that has the 08, I committed to buying it.

It's black bone stock but does come with a Garmin Zumo 550 w/ XM Satellite radio and a new set of Pirelli tires.

11K on the clock.

It will cost me about 600 more for the 08, but it is 1 year newer with 1/3 the miles.

It should be here tomorrow if all works out.

It's black bone stock but does come with a Garmin Zumo 550 w/ XM Satellite radio and a new set of Pirelli tires.

11K on the clock.

It will cost me about 600 more for the 08, but it is 1 year newer with 1/3 the miles.

Shoot...$600 more for a newer bile with less miles sounds like a good deal to me. Congratulations!

All I can say is the 07 is the most sought after color in the livery, and all the other year riders are green with envy that they don't "Ride the Red Sled" :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: The 07 is also the fastest, and best handeling one they have made yet. Like HRZ said, take what you read here and add it to your own evaluation, you come to the realization, that the 07 will fill your needs quite well! :rolleyes:

11K on the clock.

Okay, it's 'tomorrow' now.

Enquiring minds want to know -- is it there?

Enjoy!

Okay, it's 'tomorrow' now.

Enquiring minds want to know -- is it there?

No not yet, he actually got that overnight request for the title in a little late, so it looks like in the morning. :rolleyes:

Apparently he just moved near here and has taken a job that consumes all his time and that is why the bike is for sale. You just never know anymore but he sounds sincere.

Here is a picture he sent me; Don't know what the string is, Pull starter I guess? Maybe the rubber band broke?

2.jpg

Here is a picture he sent me; Don't know what the string is, Pull starter I guess? Maybe the rubber band broke?

2.jpg
Looks nice. Looks like he left his ear bud speakers plugged into the gps when he took the picture. I notice the bags are not installed. It does come with the bags doesn't it? They're kinda pricey to buy if they're missing.

2.jpg
Looks nice. Looks like he left his ear bud speakers plugged into the gps when he took the picture. I notice the bags are not installed. It does come with the bags doesn't it? They're kinda pricey to buy if they're missing.
Yes, they are included. the only thing he does not have is the plugs for the frame where the bags go...

3.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations, Gabriel, on your purchase. Aren't ya glad you didn't pull the trigger on the first bike ya saw? Looks like you got a great deal. What didja end up giving for the new ride? I'm thinking about 8400 if I followed you correctly. Thanks to that Garmin, sounds like a nice price. You said "no plugs." I worried about that when I first got my bike, but honestly, the bags have such a nice design, I rarely take em off anyway. For what it's worth, a couple of the forum guys were just gabbin' about the saddlebag mounting hole inserts over in classifieds.(CLICKY)

There was another discussion about a used Zumo there as well. Even used, you saved a bundle on that. (clicky)

Hope that helps.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, Gabriel on your purchase. Aren't ya glad you didn't pull the trigger on the first bike ya saw? Looks like you got a great deal. Welcome to the forum. What didja end up giving for the new ride? I'm thinking about 8400 if I followed you correctly. Thanks to that Garmin, sounds like a nice price. You said "no plugs." I worried about that when I first got my bike, but honestly, the bags have such a nice design, I rarely take em off anyway. For what it's worth, a couple of the forum guys were just gabbin' about a used Zumo over in classifieds (clicky). Even used, you saved a bundle on that. There was another discussion about the saddlebag mounting hole inserts there as well (clicky) Hope that helps.

Gary

darksider #44
He was waiting on the title to come in and it did just a few minutes ago, so if I want it today I have to drive him back home, a 100 mile round trip right through Houston (I would rather take an ass whipping instead), or wait until Friday morning and his brother will take him back and I don't have to do anything.

I never pulled the bags off of my ST1100 or my C14 Concours except to clean the bike.

I gave 8500 for it and I'm glad I waited which is what I usually do anyway when buying one of these things. what I liked so much about the 07 was the color, It was gorgeous.

This bike has brand new tires and a Garmin/mount. Oh and headlight protectors.

Update;

He has a trip to San Antonio tomorrow and we decided to wait until tomorrow night and his brother can come get him then also.

So at this point it looks like tomorrow night or at the latest early Friday morning...

Waiting for something like this is not fun, it's not that I mind waiting it's that something can spoil the deal as time goes on.

But I feel this guy is on the level...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I'm looking at a 07 1300A with 37K to buy and wondered if you guys would mind giving me some pointers on what to look for.

I read about the ign recall, but that's all I know.

I'm a retired Master ASE/Master Registered technician and have had over 70 Motorcycles but never one of these.

I did test ride the bike and all seems well, it was a little cold natured and has a distinct clunk when going from neutral to first

I also noticed that once the key was inserted you had to pull up slightly before it would turn.

Maintenance records show it was maintained.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks, Gabriel...
You can go to your local dealer and they can run the vin and tell you all the recalls that have been done on the bike.

According to the manual the temp gage should be up to 3 bars before taking off on the bike. If you don't let it warm up in colder weather it will hesitate somewhat until it reaches tempature.

Feejers are known for clunky transmissions. Unless it is hard getting into gear its normal.

Many happy miles

Dave
In the real world, this lasts about 2 city blocks and the hesitation is pretty minor, and only in cold temps.

Be glad you got the 08 over the 07. The trans gear cogs are 4 point instead of 3 point starting in 08 and that leads to improved shifting, and no slippage/rounding off of the dogs. Well worth the extra $600. Not that its a huge problem, but its seems like more reports are coming in all the time. Better to avoid that hassle entirely! Plus the garmin rocks.

Be glad you got the 08 over the 07. The trans gear cogs are 4 point instead of 3 point starting in 08 and that leads to improved shifting, and no slippage/rounding off of the dogs. Well worth the extra $600. Not that its a huge problem, but its seems like more reports are coming in all the time. Better to avoid that hassle entirely! Plus the garmin rocks.
That's really good to know?

That's why I posted here, Thanks

I don't know much about the Zumo 550 with XM radio, except it is expensive...