FJR Radiator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowrey

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a fender extender and/or a screen for the radiator. Will be doing LDR. I wondered if it was worth it. Has anyone experienced a damaged or obstructed radiator (stones, bugs, etc),.. or is it too rare an event to worry about?

Thanks for your input.

-DL

Last edited by a moderator:
Radiator protectors are fairly common. One made by Cox. Also lots of people have made their own from a metal mesh wastepaper basket.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/167314-cox-radiator-guard/?hl=%2B%2Bstaples+%2B%2Bmesh&do=findComment&comment=1298387

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/162036-make-your-own-rediator-guard/?hl=%2B%2Bstaples+%2B%2Bmesh&do=findComment&comment=1211104

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155450-gen-2-radiator-guard-upgrade/?hl=%2B%2Bstaples+%2B%2Bmesh&do=findComment&comment=1109468

Don't think holes in radiator due to stones is especially common but I would definitely use some additional protection if I rode a bunch of gravel roads. The Fenda Extenda will definitely keep some of the mud, sand and grit out of the radiator. (May stop some gravel too.) Almost impossible to get it all cleaned out once it has been blasted in there. I tried recently when I had the rad off to deal with a leak (not rock induced).

I put one on my old 04 FJR, helps keep rock damage down a bit.

On my FZ(below), pebbles are known to kick up and jamb the radiator fan.

Both bike's, the FE was GLUED ON, no bolts-PVC glue..

I had a glue on one (two sided foam tape), the front tire ate it after about 2 weeks while riding a rough road. I would find some better glue or rivet it on next time.

I had a glue on one (two sided foam tape), the front tire ate it after about 2 weeks while riding a rough road. I would find some better glue or rivet it on next time.
"Foam tape" is NOT PVC glue. And I wouldn't trust that either.

PVC glue, on clean surfaces, clamped together, it's NOT going anywhere.

The FJR, stayed on for years, (up to 145 MPG), my FZ6 (same procedure), been on there since

2009, (135 MPH)

Ever glue PVC to another PVC coupler? Same thing..

No holes, nuts/bolts, nice clean fit...

Can't find the link now, but saw a video attaching a fender extender with ABS glue.

-DL

Objects can be thrown up by other vehicles, and the radiator has been vulnerable to being "holed" in the past. I think a screen is a wise investment. The fender extension is mainly for paint protection in the lower front fairing, but what gets your radiator rarely comes from your own front tire...more likely your buddy riding up front.

FWIW, over 52,000 miles without a radiator puncture issue. (No offense, TominCA/PA, and I've probably jinxed myself now.)

Caveats:

1) at least 51,500 of those miles were on pavement,

2) I ride like a grandma, and

3) my paint job has a lot of very visible of scrapes and scuffs already.

Anything that helps keep road crap, "road water", etc (front or rear) off me and the bike, I'll utilize.

And yes, I kept the stock rear fenders on all my bikes (no cut downs/kits).

The small, stock, fender looks slick but obviously won't work as well as a longer fender. Being black, doesn't look goofy(again, IMO).

Fender Extender, glued on (barely noticeable):