FJR Side Cases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom of VA

Reaction score
When I purchased my FJR I took the side cases off, put the plugs in the holes and have never used the cases. I resently removed the clear plastic stickers which came on the bike to protect the paint around the holes where the cases mount. Has any seen any signs of paint damage the finish around the holes from using and dismounting the cases? I didn't know if I should get something the replace the clear stickers (my old ones turned yellowish) or is my paint safe? I just assume leave the cases in the closet if they mark up the paint on the tail section.

Those are just to protect it from being hit when you install/remove the bags. If you are careful you don't need them.

They are pretty useless I think. With the bags on nothing touches these ugly things and like was already stated only used in case you hit the bike while putting the bags on. I removed mine also.

I think Yamaha anticipates that when placing the bags on the bike, the natural tendency will be to start the bags low, get them into the lower guides, and then lift them up and over to engage the top slots. It's pretty easy to scratch the area below the slots with this motion.

If you come in carefully from the top, you should be able to avoid this, but if the bag is loaded, it's not easy.

Once engaged, I don't think the clear plastic serves much purpose.

- Mark