FJR vs M109 Susuki

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After you own a bike with 195rwhp, they all seem slow...

On that note, I can't wait for it be warm enough to ride my FJR.

After you own a bike with 195rwhp, they all seem slow...
On that note, I can't wait for it be warm enough to ride my FJR.
Hey, I guess you missed us Tuesday at Chatham Tap. I think you may have entered on the right side and we were on the left side. Have you considered riding with some of us down to Arkansas at the end of March?

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the same rider on both bikes, I think the 109 will take the FJR in a 1/8th mile *DRAG* race. Long wheelbase, big back tire, gearing means you can get on that puppy hard off the line without fear. WAY harder than an FJR. 1/4 ,mile, my money shifts over the FJR.

The M109 is a fantastic bike. If I was forced to buy and ride a cruiser every day, that would be my #1 choice. If you're leaning more towards that style of bike for whatever reason, it is a great choice.

In terms of performance, the M109 might pop away from an FJR for a second...until that first shift comes pretty early, then the FJR will blow by it.

rwortman couldn't have said it any better. See post #19.

Sorry quotes do not work for me with IE anymore.

Dave

Not so sure about the hole shot advantage either, even though the Suzuki has a much bigger displacement.

FJR 99.1 lb ft applied to 637 lbs = .155

M109 118 lb ft applied to 764 lbs = .154

That says they should come off the line very closely.

This is definitely an apple and orange comparison. The big Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki big bore twins all put out 114 ft. lbs. and above at the wheel. But Fred, that's is being generous for the FJR. Deduct 10 and recalculate.

Not so sure about the hole shot advantage either, even though the Suzuki has a much bigger displacement.
FJR 99.1 lb ft applied to 637 lbs = .155

M109 118 lb ft applied to 764 lbs = .154

That says they should come off the line very closely.
At some point the gear ratios have to come into play, not just the torque and horsepower numbers. I am just guessing here but I would think that a "power cruiser" might be geared lower due to its intended purpose.

A quick YouTube video search shows the M109 having a very good holeshot but getting spanked well before the halfway point.

I will add that the M109 is one of the few "cruiser" style bikes that hold any interest for me.

Roger that Fred. I actually thought the Suzuki put better numbers to the wheel more closely to the yamaha and Honda. Those kind of numbers are rear wheel torque. (114 and above). Did a little looking, and Suzuki is about 102ish and my other (2010) FJR was 3 tics under 90. (89.7).

Just the geometry of the cruiser being long and low you can launch it a lot harder than an FJR.

Having said that, .8sec on average is a HUGE difference in the quarter mile, as several other people said. Remember, not only is the FJR crossing way earlier but it has achieved a must fast trap speed than the 109.

In traditional specs think of it like this... the FJR probably does 0-125 in about 10.8s The M109 is probably about 0-115 in 11.6sec.

My bike before my FJR was a Honda VTX1800R. That bike was making 101hp and 108lb/ft of torque, if I remember the dyno right. The dyno guy was impressed, because those were big numbers for a cruiser in 2006. I had Vance&Hines Big Shot pipes, a PCIII, and a Hypercharger. I could get the front wheel off the ground.

Honest to God, I thought that bike was fast. Then I bought my FJR. This bike would absolutely smoke my VTX. That bike was fast, but this is a whole different kind of fast. Now that I think about it, my brother almost bought a VTX1800C a couple years ago. I took it for a ride and when I hammered it, I bounced it off the Rev limiter a few times. It was sorta fast too, but I had to shift too soon. Neither of those Hondas would keep up with an FJR.

One of my buddies has an M109. He was on our motor team, so he is an accomplished rider. On a 'closed course,' we may have ridden in a way that could be frowned upon by some people. That 'Zuke is fast, but it is NOT FJR fast. Like an FJR is not CBR fast. However, facts will not prevent cruiser riders from claiming their bikes make 3 billion HP and are faster than an F15.

Oh yeah...a 'chip' on an M109 is nothing more than a Power Commander, Juice Box, or other fuel management system. Any other claim will further point to exactly how full of excrement the owner is.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I think the 109 will take the FJR in a 1/8th mile *DRAG* race. Long wheelbase, big back tire, gearing means you can get on that puppy hard off the line without fear. WAY harder than an FJR. 1/4 ,mile, my money shifts over the FJR.
The FJR isn't exactly a short, wheelie prone bike either ya know. "WAY harder"? Hardly.