2004 FJR1300 fuel filter...?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodahdude

Reaction score
OK....... I found it on my FJR. and it's in Partzilla under "Intake". Part #18. But it says it's "AIR". Not fuel. And my filter is medal, but the replacement is plastic. My factory filter in-port aft is a 90 degree at the aft end. And the forward out-port is at a 12 O'clock. All the replacements on two different web sites show a forward 12:00 and a aft 6:00 ports. My rubber fuel lines are not long enough to reposition.

I'm confused.

Part #1.
I haven't been on for a long time. The wife has had every bit of my attention due to health reasons. 2 heart attacks, breast cancer. Knee replacement. All in about 6 years.

Here is my question. This last winter we had -16F below temperature here in the south-central mid-west. And my FJR was in the garage where it stays. But the lower end of the gas pump relay fittings cracked, and fuel is leaking. I did my homework and pulled the tank completely off. But, while in there is there a fuel filter on the FJR's? I looked in the parts break downs and didn't see one.

Part #2.
Does anyone know if there are fuel filters and if not I don't see where I can install my own. It's pretty tight in there and I want one that I can change without pulling the tank.

Thanks.
2004 FJR1300

Last edited:
Hi mate,

The fuel filter is part of the pump.... in theory you can't change it hence no part number but do a search and you will come across one easy 😉

Ok. I ordered a new pump so that should do it. But I can’t believe Yamaha wouldn’t engineer a easy access fuel filter.

Thanks and happy riding….

Ok. I ordered a new pump so that should do it. But I can’t believe Yamaha wouldn’t engineer a easy access fuel filter.

Thanks and happy riding….
Trouble is that with the pressurized fuel system, leaking could be an issue although I'm sure they could engineer something that would be secure. An aftermarket filter with barbed fittings wouldn't be safe under pressure.

As stated above, the filter is part of the pump unit and it can be replaced... .I just did it on my '05.
Mr. BR
View attachment 6523
I have never replaced one in almost 300,000 miles on two FJRs. Probably wouldn't bother unless I got a bad lot of fuel from somewhere.
Where did you get the filter?
Did you open up the old one to see if it was plugged with sediment or just discolored?

Hey RossKean,
I got the filters on that aliexpress site (china)... you can find them on ebay as well. I bought two as my '12 Super Tenere uses the same filter. My '05 was running just fine but with 85K miles, I just wanted to change it for no other reason. I did open the old filter and it was in great shape! These have a fine outer screen mesh of some sort of metal but then another finer screen on the inside (nylon?).
Mr. BR
FJR fuel filter inside.jpg

Mr. BR..... Is that the factory built in gas filter in the gas pump? I can't see pulling the tank every 50,000 miles to change a filter. Isn't there a external filter that can be used? And I've tried figuring out a rubber hose path for a external filter but its to tight in there.

Mr. BR..... Is that the factory built in gas filter in the gas pump? I can't see pulling the tank every 50,000 miles to change a filter. Isn't there a external filter that can be used? And I've tried figuring out a rubber hose path for a external filter but its to tight in there.
Didn't change mine in 186,000 miles on my '07 or on my 2011 in 100,000. Any external filter would have to be pressure rated (spec for Gen II is 47 PSI). Same for hoses, connections and fittings... You would want to make damn sure you didn't split the filter housing or have a hose pop off (or leak) due to pressure.
Think of the in-tank filter as a means to save your butt from a load of really bad fuel or rusty tank damage to fuel pump or injectors as opposed to in-line treatment of typical gas station product. As you can see, @Mr. BR 's filter was still essentially fine (other than discoloration).

Yes, that is the factory filter that's built in to the in-tank pump unit (sit in very bottom of pump unit). And by the way, that rubber fuel hose from pump to the throttle bodies is actually a hard plastic fuel line on the inside.
Mr. BR
FJR fuel pump ebay.jpgFJR fuel line.jpg

The bottom portion is the inlet strainer. The filter is located higher, near the top in the pump assembly.

Attachments

• FJR Fuel Pump.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
Good put everyone. Especially the pressurized portion. I’m going to put in the replacement and button everything up.

I was wanting double protection from the small amounts of rust. Very small. Not enough to chemically clean out the tank.

Last edited:
Just did mine. And my old O-Ring was flat on both upper and lower surfaces. But the old one has been superseded. The new one is flat on one side but a 45 degree on the opposite side of the O-Ring. Does anyone know which side the 45 degree goes on? None of the books or Partzilla reflect this. Thanks.