Fjr1300 Corbin Smuggler Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yfjr13smug_1.jpg

That is slick! I love it! I have been waiting for somebody to make something exactly like this! Totally awesome!

But.............

Freakin pricey!!! Holy crap, half the price would be too much IMHO. How disappointing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Group buy anyone? Anyone?

Just ordered my '06, so I'm out. Don't think the seats are transferable. If they are, then smuggler and Russel group buy are a GO!

I would love it if we could do a group buy, but I don't think Corbin is known for such things...

A break on the price would mean more gas in the tank. :lol:

I got a follow-up e-mail from Corbin asking if I was still interested in the Smuggler. I replied "Not at that price unless it includes the seat"(I really didn't want the seat). His broken english reply was "Sorry, the seat is for extra cost to you". $250.00-300.00 maybe, $600.00......not a chance. :eek:

Yeah, I figure something like that should be max around $180. I might go as high as $225 - $250, cause I really want one, but holy cow, $600 freaking dollars?

Youse gots to be kidding me!

Don't get me wrong...I ain't no shill for Corbin...but think about the market for the FJR specific Smuggler.

There were, what, 5000 FJRs sold each year since 03? That's a total of 15,000 potential bikes to mount a Smuggler. Given half of those purchased by owners who don't want luggage, or already have luggage, or don't want to give up the pillion, that's 7500. Suddenly, the market for an FJR-specific Smuggler ain't lookin' so hot.

You can't blame Corbin for asking what they think it's worth. But still, $600 is way-too-freakin' much. And if we think it's too much, it is, cause we're the buyers.

My biggest reserve about the Smuggler isn't the price, though...it's Corbin's reputation for piss-poor customer service. We've all heard/read horror stories.

Hmm... I can think of alot of other things I would rather spend $600 on.

You can't blame Corbin for asking what they think it's worth. But still, $600 is way-too-freakin' much. And if we think it's too much, it is, cause we're the buyers.
Yes, yes I can. I mean what are they trying to do, make up all of the R&D costs with the sale of two of these things?!? I mean seriously, how much could this thing cost to design, and then make? For that cost, I would expect this body to be made of carbon fiber, and hardware to be made of titanium. Oh, it could also have a back massager built into it for those long lonely rides.... :bigeyes:

Sorry, but I have to defend Corbin a bit. Basically, a few FJR owners sent them emails and said, could you make that ST1300 trunk for the FJR? Lo and behold, about 2-3 months later, there it is. Given that R&D cost money, liability lawyers cost money, and the potential market was low (<15K units), you have to commend them for doing this at all.

I'm impressed that Mike Corbin publically says give him suggestions of things to build and he actually does it!

my 2 cents...

An integral part of any well-founded production and marketing campaign is to realistically predict the number of units you can sell and, also, what you will have to sell them for. Predictions of this sort are often as much a black art as they are a science. Corbin must have relied on the High Priestess of the Occult to come up with a pricing schedule on the Smuggler. Somewhere in their price considerations, a complete breakdown occured. I can't see anyone paying such money for this product. I don't know what kind of market research they did on this, but they have been nortorius in the industry for failing badly at some fairly elementary business decisions, e.g. that little electric car / motorcycle thing they tried to manufacture and sell.

$600.00 is a common price for all of their smugglers. Seems to me that Corbin sells enough of them at that price to not worry about what we think.

I'm impressed that Mike Corbin publically says give him suggestions of things to build and he actually does it!
Little known fact: His real name is not Corbin, it's Hanagan. He borrowed that name from an area of West Hartford, CT known as Corbin's Corner (Now, the location of a shopping mall, but back when, the land was owned by the brothers, A & L Corbin and was located on the corner of two main roads - Mountain Rd. (then) and New Britain Ave.). True.

Mike's no marketing wiz, I'm sure he stuck his wet finger in the air and determined the price that way, or he could have priced them in line with the other Smugglers for other machines. The VFR's is $699!