FJR1300A or FJR1300AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdkluck

Reaction score
Hello everyone, do hope that everyone is enjoying the riding season so far.

I am not an FJR owner yet but I am seriously thinking about jumping on board. Right now I am torn between the FJR, Concours 14, ST1300 and K1200GT. However since I dont want to give up my first born child it pretty much rules out the BMW.

My biggest question I have is what is the difference between the AE and A models beside the autoshifting? Is that the only difference between the two models.

If so how is the auto shifting and is it worth the money? I do not have any experience with the autoshifting and have always had a clutch to work with.

I would assume it is just the matter of getting use to not having complete control over the clutch and shifting.

Also is there a big difference in the '07 vs '08 models?

Again probably some dumb questions here but that has never stopped me before from asking them.

Thanks,

Donnie

The AE comes with grip warmers as well.

I personally didn't like the idea of the auto shift. Adds a little bit of weight to the bike and to me, one more thing to service at some point. Also, it takes away a tad bit of HP and torque.

Do a search and look for the MCN comparo of this yrs sport tourers. They used an 07 FJR and it kicked butt over all the other 08 models.

There were some improvements on the 08 like a stiffer more scratch resistant windshield. Smoother throttle control and response and more than sure the old dogs will chime in with more that has been improved.

To me, this yrs FJR is top of the line. Really can't see how they are going to improve this bike for next yr.

QUOTE (jdkluck @ Apr 1 2008, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello everyone, do hope that everyone is enjoying the riding season so far.

... If so how is the auto shifting and is it worth the money? I do not have any experience with the autoshifting and have always had a clutch to work with.

I would assume it is just the matter of getting use to not having complete control over the clutch and shifting.

Thanks,

Donnie

The only difference is the heated grips standard on the AE, optional on the A.

As for worth the difference, this is only a judgement you can make. I have the electric shift (called the "AS" not "AE" this side of the waters), I got it because I have an arthritic little finger that is very painful to use with a conventional clutch lever. If I didn't have the problem I'd still be on my previous bike; if Yamaha hadn't come up with the electric shift I wouldn't be riding at all. (Yamaha frown on calling it an "auto", because it never shifts unless the rider tells it to, it uses a conventional gear box and clutch, and doesn't even modulate the throttle as some flappy-paddle cars do.)

There are times when I would prefer a manual clutch, particularly when crawling in very slow traffic, when my bike will often insist on keeping the clutch slipping when it could lower the revs a little and trickle along with no slip, also when doing slow manouvres.

One or two real advantages: Moving off from rest is totally without fear of baulking, stalling or any other problem, just open the throttle and it goes. Even if you've left it in a higher gear, it is impossible to stall. Also in heavy traffic, you never get an achey left hand.

If you suddenly find you want a lower gear to overtake, it is instant, no fore-thought required.

There is a learning period to getting slick changes because you control the throttle during the change. The learning time varies from a few minutes to a few thousand miles, depending on who you ask. It took me several hundred miles.

I wrote up some of my experience here, if you're interested.

Good luck with your choice, let us know what you decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AE, possessing the latest in motorcycle innovation, seems to appeal more strongly to those a bit further up the evolutionary scale. The Neanderthal need to squeeze a clutch hundreds of times a ride appears to be linked to the heavy presence of body hair and marginally opposable thumbs. This "short thumb" restriction is obviously the reason some have difficulty in adaptation to the paddle type handlebar shifter and is theorized to possibly become THE anomaly that renders this group extinct.

:rolleyes:

The AE has "Auto or Electric Clutch" BTW. It still requires the effort of shifting.

And it works quite well.

It is not however worth the extra money. In my case most of the extra cost was negotiated away when it was purchased.

Buy it and enjoy it. It'll be difficult to find AE owners that don't.

Hello everyone, do hope that everyone is enjoying the riding season so far.... If so how is the auto shifting and is it worth the money? I do not have any experience with the autoshifting and have always had a clutch to work with.

Thanks,

Donnie
The only difference is the heated grips standard on the AE, optional on the A.

As for worth the difference, this is only a judgement you can make. I have the electric shift (called the "AS" not "AE" this side of the waters), I got it because I have an arthritic little finger that is very painful to use with a conventional clutch lever. If I didn't have the problem I'd still be on my previous bike; if Yamaha hadn't come up with the electric shift I wouldn't be riding at all. (Yamaha frown on calling it an "auto", because it never shifts unless the rider tells it to, it uses a conventional gear box and clutch, and doesn't even modulate the throttle as some flappy-paddle cars do.)

There are times when I would prefer a manual clutch, particularly when crawling in very slow traffic, when my bike will often insist on keeping the clutch slipping when it could lower the revs a little and trickle along with no slip, also when doing slow manouvres.

One or two real advantages: Moving off from rest is totally without fear of baulking, stalling or any other problem, just open the throttle and it goes. Even if you've left it in a higher gear, it is impossible to stall. Also in heavy traffic, you never get an achey left hand.

If you suddenly find you want a lower gear to overtake, it is instant, no fore-thought required.

There is a learning period to getting slick changes because you control the throttle during the change. The learning time varies from a few minutes to a few thousand miles, depending on who you ask. It took me several hundred miles.

I wrote up some of my experience here, if you're interested.

Good luck with your choice, let us know what you decide.
What he said. I now love my AE but still need to work on slow speed manauvers (sp?) such as U-turns.

Donnie, there was only one time I wish I was on an AE -

LA1K - no, it's not a joke

TurboDave rides an AE - and he was still able to use his left hand the next day as he wasn't shifting 15 times a minute.

Other than this particular ride, I don't mind the clutch. And the grip warmers? I installed a Honda ST1300 set - much less money, and they work quite well.

YMMV

I love my AE but I suspect nearly all AE owners are going to tell you the same thing. I think the choice comes down to the style of riding you do. I am not particularly well gifted in the peg scraping category (I run out of nerve long before I run out of lean). That being said, I can be as aggressive as my riding style allows me to be with the AE. I could see where there could be circumstances where having the clutch would be advantageous in the really twisty stuff, but I just am not that aggressive to really see the need for the clutch. Other AE owners may disagree with me here as this is only my opinion. I find slow speed handling to be very easy with the AE. Use a little rear brake and keep the auto clutch engaged. A learned skill to be sure, but not all that difficult.

Thanks everyone I do appreciate what everyone had to say and there input.

Probably just going to figure out if I care to have either one and be able to live without one or the other in the event I get either one.

Either way I think that I would be happy with either one on a ride and in my garage.

Again thanks for everyones input and it was much appreciated.

Hope to be talking with you all again a little later and probably with some more weird questions.

Donnie

I have an '06 AE, purchased new, with about 10K miles on it. I wanted to see what an auto clutch was like. It works well, but I have two comments. You cannot launch both quickly and smoothly at the same time. With a standard clutch a rider can open the throttle substantially and then feather the clutch for a smooth, quick launch. That, the AE cannot do. The other thing is that if you look at the shop manual, you must * pull the swing arm * to bleed the hydraulic clutch line. Think about it.

Dick Frederick

I don't own an AE so I will not pan those selecting the AE as opposed to the A. I selected the A simply for the reason that I operate another bike with conventional clutch and felt mixing the two methods would be too much of a distraction. If I had only one bike, I would probably go for the AE.

Yooper,

I understand your concern, but I exercise my wife's bike quite often, and I never have an issue going from one bike to the next. Its no different than going from one car with an automatic to the next with a manuel transmission. As long as you know how to drive both, there is no problem.

Yooper,
I understand your concern, but I exercise my wife's bike quite often, and I never have an issue going from one bike to the next. Its no different than going from one car with an automatic to the next with a manuel transmission. As long as you know how to drive both, there is no problem.
Agreed. Between my AE and Majesty, and the wife's V-star, you can learn to be flexible real quick!

Not sure about the 08's, but they are different colors. A, beautiful black and AE, a natty silver. And a well documented fact here, silver is slower. :D

I test rode the AE, when I purchased my A. I liked it. I seriously thought about buying it, but went with the standard clutch, instead. It was cheaper, and (I felt) less problematic. I would not, however, be afraid to own an AE.

Not sure about the 08's, but they are different colors. A, beautiful black and AE, a natty silver. And a well documented fact here, silver is slower. :D
Only from a stationary start, grasshopper.

David Swarts, who won 2003 GT Lights Formula USA Team Challenge (ergo good pro rider) says: " . . . a clutchless, shift by wire systems with a computer and actuators controlling clutch engagement, disengagement and slip better than some professional level riders can." Just imagine the advantage the average or hot sport rider could garner downshifting mid apex after key orifices signal an overly aggressive entry.

I think that the system could be modified to give the rider an advantage coming out of the hole but you'd be hard pressed to find an FJR rider that would care. Except for bragging rights I suppose.

It would matter how you see yourself riding the bike. I have one and for my style of cruising it is great. The shifting is smooth from foot or finger and having that option is like giving yourself an extra hand in many situations....(like feeling your wife up as you go through the gears). It is also nice to be able to keep both feet on the ground or pegs if the situation calls for it.

If you are more of an extreme performance-oriented rider and a little less weight is really going to matter to you in the turns...by all means get the A model.

Both are awesome and it is great that there is a choice like this for everyone to make. The only bad choice with the FJR, is not getting one.

Never ridden an AE but love my 04 FJR, have owned numerous BMW in the past and even the old connie. Councours was great bang for the buck and I am sure that the new model is a very nice bike but for me the FJR just comes together so well for me. The handling, speed, shifting, comfort and just plain FUN I have on this bike makes it my favoirte bike out of the 25 I have owned over the last 40 years.

Buy one, go out and ride the hell out of it and the then in 5 to 7 years look for what else is new out there and repeat.

Roger