FjRay does Love KaWaSaKi Kz1300s!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
So then.. 

My bud Ray calls...."I just spent some of your money!"
Me "Fucking Great! What?"
Ray "1980 KZ1300, 14k miles, unmolested."
Me "UhOh, how clean, how much dinero?"

Realize that Ray and I go way back, he's done 2 1960's BMW's, a 79 Kz1300, a 1981 Honda CBX, a 87 ATK....
Still, well, you know....

Ray "So it's really clean." ....avoiding the question...
Ray "It's close by, too."
Me "Ray?"
Ray "I already told the guy it's sold..."
Me "Good, I trust you... Ray, how much?"
Ray "700 dollars!"
Me "OH GAWD that is freaking GREAT!"

Here's some pics from Ray's POS phone...

Much different than my 79...

This looks about the same...

The seat is very different... and the tank badge looks different too. That's my ATK in the background...

Damn.. this one looks clean. Forks not leaking, original plug wires, switch gear looks great. 

Even the ignition resistor pack looks good..

OMG that tank is ugly. Is this the stock tank badging and color?

Did 1980 Kz1300 come with chromed covers?

So the next rodeo begins.... 

Many Many Many Thanks to my bud Ray. KZ1300 tech beyond Par...

Ray, the KawiKz1300 KING! All hail the KING! LOL.

Seriously, Thank You Bud..

The title is incorrect. It should say "FJRay is stupid".  I'm just enabling Don to further his addiction to rescue silly old scooters.

I think it's actually an 81 cause the production date is 12/80. I'll get a FSM off EBAY because this one is a B model and there are changes from the one he has.

Stay tuned.

This post reminds me of the time back in 1980.

Two of my rather large buddies 6, foot plus 250 plus got to drinking one night and decided to head out Orlando Fl on his recently rebuilt 1977 KZ 1300.

Now mind ya this is 1200 miles plus from here. Still shaking my head as those two azzholes made it down there in just over 21 hours! They just stopped for fuel, munchies, and bladder relief. They both talked about knowing when the other fell asleep as the bike leaned one way or the other. 

BTW it wasn't equipped with any type of backrest so you can imagine what falling asleep was like. We still talk about it to this day. Greg still owns that thing.  

Right on Ray, that's one sahhhh-weeeeeet barn find; even the seat looks great. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Think yer gonna need a bigger shop? 😆

screen_shot_2020-05-14_at_12.15.19_pm.png

Right on Ray, that's one sahhhh-weeeeeet barn find; even the seat looks great. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Think yer gonna need a bigger shop? 😆

The shop is actually shrinking.  The building is still 40x40 but the project pile is much smaller. Splitting time between the shop and house duties really cuts into my time. I need to find that day stretcher cause 24 hours ain't enough.

I hope to light a fire in this KZ soon. Fingers crossed for a sound engine.

Cool beans.  I played with one of those on the Grapevine in CA back in '86 or so.  I was doing about 85 when he rolled up on me and I downshifted and hit it.  He was hot on my ass all the way to 150 when I started thinking about those cheese grater cable barriers and what I'd look like if I lost it.  I backed off, he kept in it... then passed a CHP on the side of the road waaay over the ton.  That must have hurt.  I was just slow enough at that point that the CHP had time to pull out and I had time to anchor it so I didn't pass him as he accelerated to go after the KZ1300 guy.  I test rode a Kz1300 and though WOW, what a motor, but brakes were marginal, imho.

Have fun on the rehab and on the riding.

The shop is actually shrinking.  The building is still 40x40 but the project pile is much smaller. Splitting time between the shop and house duties really cuts into my time. I need to find that day stretcher cause 24 hours ain't enough.

I hope to light a fire in this KZ soon. Fingers crossed for a sound engine.
Well? It's literally been HOURS now! 🤪

If it doesn't run then you need to light a fire under it.
Hopefully a fire in it. Just did a comp test and although not great it's good enough to run. It's been sitting since 92 so I didn't expect it to be great. If it will run ,I'm sure a few heat cycles will bring it up. Need to get some fuel to it next. It's got a strange fuel control solenoid that I'm not sure it works so that may need to be plumbed around. Don't want to kill it because we would like this one to stay original.

Gotta go play caregiver for a bit. More later.

Update!!! The fucking thing runs. Got fuel to it and the carbs didn't leak. Pulled the choke and the damn thing started right up on the choke and then idled just fine. Seems to have gears in the trans and all the electrical works except the horn. 

Hard to believe it hasn't run in almost 30 years. I'm thinking it was put away properly.