FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is every rider on the Spotwalla or only those that want to be public like in the past?
Most, but not all.

I believe they're required to give their tracker to the organizers to receive extra points, but not required for the public one we're seeing. It's just that most (including many leaders) do add themselves to the public one. But it may also be true they could remove themselves from that public page during the rally if they want.
This has been a strategy used by some at the very top of the chances for a podium finish. Choosing to be on the public spotwalla until [XYZ] and then they pull themselves from the public spotwalla so none of the other competitors can get info from "back home" about them.

The Spotwalla (as of this moment) shows 4 hearty souls going for the crazy-high bonuses that may win them the rally, cause them to burn out gloriously, or ride massive miles for massive bonuses yet fall to some undefined "other rider" with more points using traditional Leg 2 tactics.

Time will tell and, as with all such things, time will transform challenges to adventures in the telling.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one in Valdez, are they ahead of the other three? Or trailing them?

Using Google to do the routing and math:
Kennewcik to Deadhorse = 57 hours 2793 miles

Deadhorse toGreenville, SC = 82 horse 4656 miles

Totals =139 hours 7449 miles

Hours available from 4AM PDT Friday 6/21 to 10 AM EDT Friday 6/28 = 171 hours (with 3 hours deducted for time change)

Rider has to average 53.6 mph for the 139 hours, which leaves them 32 hours over 7 days for everything else.

Doubt if Google Maps takes into account the condition of the Haul road. That could be a real time sucker if it is wet or in bad condition. then border crossings (4 times) summer traffic in BC can be brutal with all the motor homes. Fortunately south of Fairbanks it is fairly easy to maintain a good pace as the roads are not too curvy and sight distance is usually pretty good. Not to mention the scenery is unbelievable. And usually the graveled sections of road maintenance is well maintained and can usually keep your speeds similar to paved areas without being too risky. Just gonna be dusty if you catch traffic wrong.

The ones that have a car tire on the rear will be really happy with their choice, as risk of flats will be less on the haul road than for motorcycle street tires.

Panman and EscapeFJRist (riding Super Tenres) turned around at the last mountain pass before Prudhoe Bay due to weather about two weeks ago. Hopefully it has warmed up a bit more since.

The ride is doable, but extreme is an under statement.

Need to revise: Since the lead rider went to Valdez. Got to think there are more stops in AK to hit. or more on the way to Greenville.

The lead rider (first to AK) go to Valdez (and Hyder). Udjeni reported that the first rider also went to Hyder

Assume they are just an in an out:

Kennewick to Valdez = 44 hours 2350 miles

Valdez toGreenville, SC = 70 horse 4213 miles

Totals =114 hours 6563 miles

Leaves additional 25 hours and 886 miles by not going to Deadhorse.

A few options come to mind:

Valdez to Seward is 7.25 hours and 424 miles

Homer is 9.25 hours and 519 miles

Denali Visitors Center is 7.1 hours and 350 miles

Both first and second rider furthest into AK stopped in Hyder on the way up:

Assuming no longer on an in an out:

Kennewick to Hyder = 21 hours 1142 miles

Hyder to Valdez (assuming they are headed there to) = 26 hours 1290 miles

Valdez to Greenville, SC = 70 horse 4213 miles

Totals =117 hours 6645 miles

Leaves additional 22 hours and 1104 miles by not going to Deadhorse.

A few options come to mind:

Valdez to Seward is 7.25 hours and 424 miles

Seward to Homer spit is 3.5 hours and 172 miles

Homer Spit to Denali Visitors Center is 8.1 hours and 461 miles

Total 18.85 hours and 1057 miles

Will be interesting to see if they hunt more in AK, or on the way to Greenville. Or they could link a few up and still be within the 139 hour original window of the assumed Deadhorse ride.

Having been over those roads in Alaska twice in the last 4 years, they are all good, lightly traveled, and the scenery is spectacular. Not to mention that daylight is not an issue this time of year up there.

EDIT: other possibilities:

With that in mind, from Valdez they link together Seward, Homer, Denali and then to Greenville, SC is 90 hours and 5334 miles total. As of 10AM PDT, they have 117 hours to be in Greenville, SC by 10AM EDT. Still very possible. And depending on the rider, maybe some other bonii along the way. The lead rider has a distinct advantage over the others on this possibility since they are already in Valdez. and have been doing a rest bonus.

Looking at the checkpoint pictures-

Has Klim replaced Aerostich as the LD gear of choice?

Dirt road, middle of no where. Not good. Several houses to the West. 57 degrees F, so weather is good.

Looking at the checkpoint pictures-
Has Klim replaced Aerostich as the LD gear of choice?
Didn’t count but hanging out at the start I’d guess Aerostich still has the edge.......barely. All other brands combined would still likely be 3rd place.

What time does the checkpoint open? Or how does that work now? Will they still get penalty points for being late to a non-scoring checkpoint?

I'm so confused...

What time does the checkpoint open? Or how does that work now? Will they still get penalty points for being late to a non-scoring checkpoint?
I'm so confused...
Join the club, I don't think this has ever been done before. It was mentioned that the checkpoint would now be a bonus. It must be a required bonus and time restricted somehow. If it were a regular bonus all riders could skip it or claim it before they left a couple days ago.

I'm so confused...
Join the club, I don't think this has ever been done before. It was mentioned that the checkpoint would now be a bonus. It must be a required bonus and time restricted somehow. If it were a regular bonus all riders could skip it or claim it before they left a couple days ago.
I read that it has been done in '01 & '03. Also read that the bonus tonight is not required only if you're one of the Alaska gang

EDIT with updates:

the lead bike made the turn towards Homer/Seward and the Kenai Peninsula. Next will be to see which is first. and/or if both will be in play. Kenai and Homer look to be the target. Also appears to be the only one who went to Valdez, and got a rest bonus there too.

the second is headed toward Homer/Seward Whittier, but didn't do Valdez.

the third is headed towards Chitna,Kennicott but has not gotten far enough to head towards Valdez/Seward/Homer.

the fourth rider that went to Skagway is now in Carmacks and headed towards Dawson City and possibly to Inuvik? time will tell.

Definitely a different path then the other three for all four. Will be fun to see which was the better route.

Must be a butt load of different bonii in Alaska this time.

I'm so confused...
I read that it has been done in '01 & '03. Also read that the bonus tonight is not required only if you're one of the Alaska gang
Skipping a checkpoint was done in '01 and '03 but the checkpoint remained a checkpoint for the riders that didn't take the optional big bonus. This year is different, as far as we know, it's turned into a bonus. The original question was since this isn't a checkpoint any more what are the check in time requirements and will there be penalty points.

Somebody who knows how to post a photo, needs to post a photo of McCarthy Road in Google Earth Street view the one AK rider is on right now. It is 60 miles in and 60 back out from Chitina, AK. The road ends at a pedestrian only footbridge at the town of McCarthy, population 28. Hey, it can't be that bad, the Google Car has been there :>).

John Frick

Cincinnati, OH

IBA #429

Somebody who knows how to post a photo, needs to post a photo of McCarthy Road in Google Earth Street view the one AK rider is on right now. It is 60 miles in and 60 back out from Chitina, AK. The road ends at a passenger only footbridge at the town of McCarthy, population 28. Hey, it can't be that bad, the Google Car has been there :>).
John Frick

Cincinnati, OH

IBA #429
Road does not end there, you are allowed to ride across the footbridge on a bike and ride up to the McCarthy mine itself. My guess is the mine is the bonus. Pics of the mine are in my ride report in my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.