FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As the Alaska Riders approach the Hwy 2 and Hwy 5 Intersection (and all to be soon heading south on Hwy 2 to NC), they are only approx. 100m apart and about 3,950 miles to go. Assuming that was the RM Plan, and that these are the blue chip bonus makers, they may be heading home with very similar points... the race is on... what a ride this is!

I suspect a lot of the riders are wisely following the conservative strategy- The two main "packs" are on I-90 and I-84 headed east. Makes sense to finish the main task of getting to the finish and are probably making bonuses the next priority. Makes sense- Why chase a bunch of boni 2000 miles from the finish and run the risk of a DNF if you can't make it to the finish. Better to beat a path to the finish, especially if you've already got close to or enough boni for a finsh.

Better to beat a path to the finish, especially if you've already got close to or enough boni for a finsh.
That's likely true for rookies and mid-pack riders, but not at all true for the 5, 10, or maybe several dozen that already have three digit IBA numbers. I wouldn't automatically equate non-Alaska as conservative...it may well have been the smarter option. And some will absolutely take a DNF if they think they have a chance to win or place in the Top 3. Some IBR riders are a different breed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some IBR riders are a different breed.
Quoted for posterity.

One thing I'm quite curious aboot is the tracker that's now on I-94 and is / has been shagging it eastbound. Gotta wonder what the strategy is for him / her / them compared to the rest of the pack(s).

FYI: On the IBR website they have the Leg 2 Spotwalla animation. 16:20 EST.

Just checked the main spotwalla page and WHAT THE FRAK? Are my eyes deceiving me but the rider that just finished the loop up to Dawson Creek and back down to Tak has now gone south towards Valdez. I had thought (though I could be wrong) that that particular dot had already done Valdez, Homer, Skagway, then Dawson Creek.

I think I need a break.
uhoh.gif

- Colin

EDIT: PS. I can't wait to see the bonus listings for this rally!

Your wish is Warchild's command.

Both the bonus pack AND points list for Leg 1 are on the website.

.....oh and for more armchair speculation...see if you spot the artifact in the packet. Page 26 of 99? Where's 27+? I haven't ridden since 2013, but I had some ideas about 14 seconds after I spotted that. ;)

Ummm,

Why are the bonus list and bonus values in two separate documents? So the values can be adjusted more easily in the final days before the start? To add confusion to night-before route planning?

<edited, an hour later>

Individual bonus values range from 1 point (R04) to 8,297 (FLAM), with completely random values in between. Cannot imagine routing this efficiently.

<edited, fifteen more minutes later>

... and I just LOVE the little write ups with each bonus! This is an educational motorcycle tour!

Ummm,
Why are the bonus list and bonus values in two separate documents? So the values can be adjusted more easily in the final days before the start? To add confusion to night-before route planning?
I’m looking at the documents on my iPad as I follow along, and have never ridden a competitive rally BUT, I have found it easier to be able to refer to the table while reading through the various bonii, to see how I would string together a feasibly max points ride.

Just when it seems obvious that they are finally done scavenging Alaska and, they'e all heading east and south....tic,toc.... someone peels off for McCarthy. One way in, Same way out. How will this play out?

Your wish is Warchild's command.

Both the bonus pack AND points list for Leg 1 are on the website.

.....oh and for more armchair speculation...see if you spot the artifact in the packet. Page 26 of 99? Where's 27+? I haven't ridden since 2013, but I had some ideas about 14 seconds after I spotted that.
wink.png
I would be interesting to hear from those who have ridden the IBR before what their thoughts are around this bonus pack and how they would have approached it?

Away from the computer for a while today working (of all things) and I see one rider is head over the Top of the World Hwy to Dawson City. They are currently at Chicken, AK. That makes two that did the road, but one of those also did Homer, Whittier, Valdez.

EDIT: they are heading back to Tok. Must have been a bonus in Chicken, AK

Another is doing the Kennitcott Mine.

This is CRAZY!!! fun to watch. Can't wait to see the rally packet for this one.

Is anyone else wishing that the Spotwalla tags included "heading" info?
I understand hiding the "time" field as adding to the obfuscation, but it can be hard to know who's coming or going with so many tags, and so few updates!
That's by design. The rallymaster doesn't want the public to know who is whom. I think that's been explained many times just this year (not counting past IBR threads on this forum).

Next rider back of the pack on I-94 has gotten off onto US-10 eastbound towards Duluth, perhaps a big bonus there? Two riders off I-94 in Fargo, looks like one's in a motel parking lot and the other in a fast food parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts