FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I could see, that rider (the one in the Duluth area now) did NOT go to Kennewick on Sunday night, they were in the Seattle area. So, maybe the instructions of you must do 1 of 2 things given on Friday AM is in play for that rider. Don't know. Anyone else see that this rider was not in Kennewick for CP2? Device time zone on their tracker is the info I used to see this.

JEF
Cincinnati, OH

Hmm, I though this was the rider that bailed out early from the rest at Kennewick , gave up their rest points and was on a mission somewhere to bag bigger points ?

I think I saw a rider go to Old Faithful about 5 p.m. PDT today...a bonus in the first leg. I don't have the packet, but in the Leg 2 packet as well? My first datapoint suggesting the rally is a single 99 page list and we're getting to see the first 26 of them that are still active.

I wonder if the Leg 1 bonii are still in play in Leg 2/3, although, maybe their points value is diminished if bagged in Leg 2/3. Similarly - maybe the Leg 2 bonii (before Kennewick window closed) are also available in Leg 3 (after Kennewick), but again - their points value is diminished if bagged in Leg 3 instead, or something to that effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the Leg 1 bonii are still in play in Leg 2/3, although, maybe their points value is diminished if bagged in Leg 2/3. Similarly - maybe the Leg 2 bonii (before Kennewick window closed) are also available in Leg 3 (after Kennewick), but again - their points value is diminished if bagged in Leg 3 instead, or something to that effect?
I think it's a 99 page rally that came in two installments. Same for the points lists. I think they're all in play for the same point values for the remainder of the rally.

From what I could see, that rider (the one in the Duluth area now) did NOT go to Kennewick on Sunday night, they were in the Seattle area. So, maybe the instructions of you must do 1 of 2 things given on Friday AM is in play for that rider. Don't know. Anyone else see that this rider was not in Kennewick for CP2? Device time zone on their tracker is the info I used to see this.
JEF

Cincinnati, OH
You are correct,

I won't say /give anymore info

What do you think the chances are that the rider in Homer can make it to the finish? Looks like 4500 miles to Greenville and as of now its 73 hours to the finish. With no sleep they'd have to average about 62mph ...

Took a quick look at the weather and it looks pretty good up there right now so maybe its not impossible, but it seems like a tough stretch

I think it's a 99 page rally that came in two installments. Same for the points lists. I think they're all in play for the same point values for the remainder of the rally.
I've been wondering the same thing. Also noticed that the points were on a separate doc. Here's a what-if: All the bonii are now\still in play, but the points values may have changed from leg 1. Hmmm that would be an interesting twist.
uhoh.gif

- Colin

The other thing I noticed about the rally packet released so far was the R<n> bonii for obtaining receipts. The points values were vanishingly small. But there was no other mention (that I saw) referencing those bonii. My guess is they are either [A] mandatory or feed into another combo bonus (get all the receipts, get a ton of points). Waiting to here more about that aspect.

- Colin

None of the boni in the first 26 pages are in Alaska, so there's definitely new/additional listings in the missing pages - we'll just have to wait and see.

I think Colin24's on to something about a receipt combo (not mandatory, though - too restrictive).

Group Photo Bonus at Lake Itasca it appears.

Edit: Perhaps not... just a convergence of riders for the bonus

Is anyone else wishing that the Spotwalla tags included "heading" info?I understand hiding the "time" field as adding to the obfuscation, but it can be hard to know who's coming or going with so many tags, and so few updates!

The purposefully don't include that information because of issues in the past IBR with outside help making it's way to riders.
That's by design. The rallymaster doesn't want the public to know who is whom. I think that's been explained many times just this year (not counting past IBR threads on this forum).
Reading comprehension fellas, I think you fixated on the phrase "to know who's coming"...

I don't mean to include ANY "identifiable" information, just direction of travel.

If I only have 5 minutes to look at the Spotwalla map to catch up, it would be nice to see if a rider is headed N/S/E/W, rather than have to screen capture, wait for a refresh, and painstakingly compare the two images!

Example: is that rider headed TOWARDS Homer, AK? ...or returning FROM Homer, AK? Sorry, you'll just have to stare at your screen for half an hour to figure it out!

I just don't see how compass heading compromises anyone's identity.

I just don't see how compass heading compromises anyone's identity.
Just because you can't, doesn't mean others couldn't. I know I and others could build individualized data with this and other intel to assemble information that could put more risk of riders safety and/or advantage. Since this is the second time you've complained on this point, I would suggest you reread the bolded point I wrote on the very first post of this thread:

The Iron Butt Rally is for the riders and not the followers.

I would strongly suggest being content you're getting any access at all. Or if you have suggestion how to do the GPS tracking page better, contact Jason Jonas after the rally.

Thanks.

The Management

I have no idea (nor do I need to know) the identity of the rider near Homer, AK, this morning, but I can say with certainty I'm gonna be following him/her for the rest of the rally.

GO, HOMER, GO. Ride safely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts