FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the penalty for bike swapping mid rally?
Page 7 of https://ibr.wvi.com/ibr/2019/IBR2019Rules.pdf

(3) Replacement of motorcycle: The final score of a rider who fails to ride the entire rally on the motorcycle with which he or she began the event will be reduced by one-half.15 In the event that a motorcycle is replaced, the replacement motorcycle must first be ridden to the location where the motorcycle it is replacing stopped being ridden if that location was farther from the next checkpoint than the location where the replacement motorcycle was obtained. The odometer reading of the replacement motorcycle must be recorded at the point it is first used and a gas receipt must be obtained from the immediate vicinity.

kgjl posted: What is the penalty for bike swapping mid rally?
Bill Lance posted: Big...I think 50%.
From the rules:

(3) Replacement of motorcycle: The final score of a rider who fails to ride the entire rally on the motorcycle with which he or she began the event will be reduced by one-half.15 In the event that a motorcycle is replaced, the replacement motorcycle must first be ridden to the location where the motorcycle it is replacing stopped being ridden if that location was farther from the next checkpoint than the location where the replacement motorcycle was obtained. The odometer reading of the replacement motorcycle must be recorded at the point it is first used and a gas receipt must be obtained from the immediate vicinity.

Footnote 15: The penalty referenced in this section will not count against a rider's attempt to gain any medal or status as a finisher of the rally.

......................................................................................................

(As to the 'simultaneous' responses: At least a few of us can do our own research.)

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the penalty for bike swapping mid rally?
Big...I think 50%.
That's right!

(3) Replacement of motorcycle: The final score of a rider who fails to ride the entire rally on the motorcycle with which he or she began the event will be reduced by one-half. In the event that a motorcycle is replaced, the replacement motorcycle must first be ridden to the location where the motorcycle it is replacing stopped being ridden if that location was farther from the next checkpoint than the location where the replacement motorcycle was obtained. The odometer reading of the replacement motorcycle must be recorded at the point it is first used and a gas receipt must be obtained from the immediate vicinity.

kgjl posted: What is the penalty for bike swapping mid rally?
Bill Lance posted: Big...I think 50%.
Footnote 15: The penalty referenced in this section will not count against a rider's attempt to gain any medal or status as a finisher of the rally.

......................................................................................................

(As to the 'simultaneous' responses: At least a few of us can do our own research.)
And this is now John's focus, thought he might still get a silver medal finish out of it.

Okay folks. Its 8ish pm EST as I write this. That puts the checkpoint 36 hours away before you start losing points and 38 hours till DNF time. We've all been kinda focused on Homer and the Alaska Boys but there is alot more going on.

Two riders seem to have headed for the outer edge of the Gaspe Peninsula. You can make the finish on time from there. But there is a lot of rural roads to deal with before you break out onto real interstate. So those two have a solid ride ahead of the them. (Much as Iggy has pointed out).

There is a solitary dot that was crossing NY state and has headed north into Canada and at last refresh was approaching Montreal. Dunno what they're doing. If they are trying for Gaspe like the other two I think the rider has a monster ride in front of them. On paper a quick calc shows 36 hours of driving at least. So _IF_ that is what that rider is trying for then my gosh, keep an eye on that dot!

For the past few days there has been a phalanx of riders that headed out I94 towards Chicago then turned due south. Riders were bumping off and on this path to grab bonii but the gaggle of riders has seemed to stay intact. They are spreading out a bit but it now looks like there must be something of interest in the New Orleans area. (A guess on my part but maybe Venice LA. Certainly qualifies for a road less traveled!)

Further West there has been a mob of riders working there way through the south west and West Texas in particular. Looks like a couple bonii in BigBend National park. From there many riders are following the Rio Grande down to the Gulf for some other bonii. Heck of a hot sticky ride for those that are going that way.

And finally a couple riders down in Florida. One of which is currently near the road leading out to KeyWest. Cant remember if KeyWest was on Leg1 or not, but it always seems to show up on an IBR somewhere. The rider seems to have the time to pull that off so will be keeping an eye on that dot.

Well, there is alot going on. It will be interesting to watch over the next 36 hours!

- Colin

EDIT: And one more final thought. I-85 running from Charlotte down to Atlanta (with the finish right in the middle) is a nasty little chunk of interstate. I drive professionally now and find myself down there about once a month. Narrow and busy as F. There is one 30 mile section that's been under construction for ages. Lanes are narrowed, surface is uneven and trucks have to run on the left. Just nasty. So if your coming in late to the finish line your going to be running this gauntlet in the morning rush hour. All the riders are going to be working hard right till the last second on this rally!

For the past few days there has been a phalanx of riders that headed out I94 towards Chicago then turned due south. Riders were bumping off and on this path to grab bonii but the gaggle of riders has seemed to stay intact. They are spreading out a bit but it now looks like there must be something of interest in the New Orleans area. (A guess on my part but maybe Venice LA. Certainly qualifies for a road less traveled!)
Just look at that convoy of riders! There's one every few miles from Indy to New Orleans!

Edit: It's looking like the trio from Alaska have time if they don't hit a significant fatigue wall. About the same mileage as Perce to the finish.

Rider past Gaspie in Chandler at a hotel or just a pit stop at Tim Horton's? Tick Tock...

Just checked the map at 10ish EST and the three riders from Alaska have crossed into the US of A.

But interestingly not all at the same spot. They've been running the same path from Alaska, through Alberta then most of Saskatchewan. But just as they near the border their paths have all diverged. Curious... Are they still bonus hunting or are they trying to avoid being labelled a team?

Will be interesting to see where they are when I check in the morning.

- Colin

They’re still picking off points, one just hit Rugby, center of the Americas and the other a state park. Those riders are still on their game !

Rider past Gaspie in Chandler at a hotel or just a pit stop at Tim Horton's? Tick Tock...
I think the three Alaska riders (at least two of them) bedded down in Edmonton close to local midnight yesterday and these two Gaspe riders are bedding down before midnight tonight to snag what I bet is the rest bonus. There's a motel next door to the Tim Horton's and I think a B&B and a gas station for the other one.

Assuming so, this could be a factor because you'll have Gaspe riders relatively fresh in the morning, tomorrow, and Friday....and riders in North Dakota have ridden today, tomorrow, and part of Friday.

The Northwest corner of the map is looking very lonely without "Homers" spot acting as a beacon on the run to the barn.

Reports indicate "Homer" has pulled the pin, and (standing ovation) decided to call it "enough for now".

Well done rider...well done.

I think the three Alaska riders (at least two of them) bedded down in Edmonton close to local midnight yesterday and these two Gaspe riders are bedding down before midnight tonight to snag what I bet is the rest bonus. There's a motel next door to the Tim Horton's and I think a B&B and a gas station for the other one.

Assuming so, this could be a factor because you'll have Gaspe riders relatively fresh in the morning, tomorrow, and Friday....and riders in North Dakota have ridden today, tomorrow, and part of Friday.
Am I reading too much into your note, or do you think bonii in Alaska and/or Gaspe were the two optional items that "must" have been accomplished to be a finisher if skipping the 2nd visit to Kennewick? The note that was published earlier didn't provide those details, but it would seem to make sense - forcing riders to stretch to either of the far reaches of the continent prior to reaching the barn. I suppose Key West could have been a 3rd option but that would put a rider pretty close to Greenville for the finish and would perhaps be "too simple" for this rally. (if 4200 miles could be called simple
smile.png
)

“CRITICALLY IMPORTANT NOTE” If you choose to skip the bonus in Kennewick on Sunday, June 23, 2019, you MUST INSTEAD successfully complete one of the two following items: (plus some text not to be shared outside of the rally participants yet)

The route through Alaska is MUCH longer compared to the Gaspe loop - 7,200 miles compared to 5,200 - but I suppose bonus points available would be much higher for those taking the longer route and potentially more serious road/weather risks. With that in mind, it would seem that the three remaining Alaska riders might have a better chance for the win.

Very much looking forward to the final report out and bonus location details - should provide fodder for a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks
punk.gif

Is there any tech inspection at the end of the rally regarding aux fuel? If not, what's to stop a rider picking up an extra gallon or two in a red plastic fual can? (besides honor and honesty, of course).

Well it's been an entertaining day, got a call last night that John Coon's bike was toast, cracked cylinder, he limped it to home. He called Randy Gabrick and arranged to use one of his KLRs except Randy is in Spokane. They needed me to pick up Randy's trailer and bike and run it down to John's place. In about two hours John farkled the KLR to near Rally spec, well as cloes as you'd except for a KLR. I'm happy to say john is back on the road as of a bit after noon today.
It wasn't pretty.

Not the fanciest cockpit in the IBR parking lot.

Complete with aux fuel
lol.gif

i-8CkGZh5-L.jpg

Is there any tech inspection at the end of the rally regarding aux fuel? If not, what's to stop a rider picking up an extra gallon or two in a red plastic fual can? (besides honor and honesty, of course).
Honesty is enough.

Stopping, unstrapping a couple gallons strapped down, opening, setting up the spout, glugging in, putting it all back, and having to refill later....take more time than typical fuel stop for 11.5 gallons with the flip of two caps and a pump spewing out 5 gallons a minute. If it were an adventure ride where fuel stops are more scarce....then maybe so. The IBR...not so much.

And bikes that are capacity challenged (e.g. a KLR)...frankly aren't as competitive as the cruise missiles with big tanks and aux. cells.

Well. Its 8:30 AM EST Thursday morning. 24ish hours to finish, 26 hrs to DNF. The next 24 hours will be interesting!

It seems that Venice LA (or something near there) is in play as I see a few riders strung out down to there. So thats one of my guesses confirmed.

Of the riders going to Gaspe it looks like one is solidly heading south and the other latecomer seems to be within a couple hours of whatever the bonus is out that way.

Between the riders southbound to New Orleans and all the riders that were in the southwest they have all collected into a mass of riders around the Gulf coast. Will be interesting to see where this mob moves to over the next 24 hours.

Another guess confirmed is KeyWest as I see a rider out there now. Also seems to be something out in Key Biscane near Miami.

The homer rider appears to have packed it in. A valiant effort indeed. I'm glad he stopped when he did, I didn't want to see them pushing hard and risking an accident for something that was clearly not going to happen. They are obviously going to miss the finish banquet. If I was in the area I would try and intercept and take him out to an impromptu finish dinner. That rider has earned it as much as anyone else.

The other Alaska riders I can no longer discern where they are. One seems to be up in Mini-StPaul. The other seems to be heading due south and is in the Denver area. Cant wait for the final info to come out after the rally to find out the full story behind some of those rides.

Those in the NewOrleans area are within ez ride of the finish. So were else do they go after that. All the other riders have a harder ride ahead of them still.

Now, using my personal experience here I would say nobody is sleeping for the next 24 hours. When I ran I made sure that the sleep I got last night was a good one because its now non-stop to the finish. Everyone suffering from various levels of exhaustion. So some will trickle in over night but probably starting around 4 or 5 tomorrow morning things are going to start to get busy at the finish.

If I were to send a message to the riders now. Stay _Safe_ and keep focused, the end is in sight!

- Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts