FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just passed an FJR near Drummondville, Quebec heading towards Montreal. Looked like a Tanji fuel cell.

Gonna get wet.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose Key West could have been a 3rd option but that would put a rider pretty close to Greenville for the finish and would perhaps be "too simple" for this rally. (if 4200 miles could be called simple
smile.png
I just want to highlight the scale of what these folks are doing. Calling Key West "pretty close" to Greenville - just, damn. That would be a spring break road trip for most "normal" humans.

I suppose Key West could have been a 3rd option but that would put a rider pretty close to Greenville for the finish and would perhaps be "too simple" for this rally. (if 4200 miles could be called simple
I just want to highlight the scale of what these folks are doing. Calling Key West "pretty close" to Greenville - just, damn. That would be a spring break road trip for most "normal" humans.
I was thinking about the feat of going from Kennewick,WA to Key West ,FL to Greenville, SC in basically 4 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very worried about all of them on the wrong side of Atlanta. That is a heavy traffic city.

I'm hoping that public spot is lagging more than we can see. There are a few that won't make it otherwise.

At this point in time, one hour until the Penalty Window opens, Spotwalla lag becomes pronounced. Except for those who are obviously too far away ( greater than 3 hours), you just can't rely on Spotwalla for pinpoint accuracy.

".....at the Nicky Haden Memorial in Kentucky. Two riders showed up, Mike Coons and Peter Green."

So, Coons will lose half his points for switching bikes. Will he lose half the remaining points for switching first names???
laugh.png

One of the outliers is in a truck stop. This may mean a couple of things. Either they realize it's over and they are having a nice breakfast or bike issues.

Dave

My bike didn't start the rally but it appears it will finish it! Go JD Smith!
That's a pretty awesome bit of history for you and the bike to have - wonder if he'll be stopping by his local Yamaha dealership post rally??

I'd love to hear what the defensive comments are from the BMW crowd are.

Right now - hope everyone gets in safe, and that the strip of I-85 between Atlanta and Greenville is smooth and wide open...

The source of the oil leak on JD's BMW appear to be high up and centered over the front of the motor. Without stripping anything off the bike for a better view there looks to be some kind of a sending unit or sensor I can't really tell. Oil has poured out and sprayed down both sides and across both cylinders and heads. A lot of oil. I had a car one time blow out the oil pressure sending unit and I'm just wondering if this could be similar. Hope for his sake it's not catastrophic.

My bike didn't start the rally but it appears it will finish it! Go JD Smith!
That's a pretty awesome bit of history for you and the bike to have - wonder if he'll be stopping by his local Yamaha dealership post rally??

I'd love to hear what the defensive comments are from the BMW crowd are.

Right now - hope everyone gets in safe, and that the strip of I-85 between Atlanta and Greenville is smooth and wide open...
How does second place feel, that's not a defensive comment, as Owens takes a third crown to add to his already record breaking feats, probably won't know until tomorrow morning who won this rally unless your at the banquet.

Good point - Owens has his particular bike sorted, or has figured out how to protect his rides from the gremlins that have dashed the hopes of other's on the brand. Or maybe he's just had good eggs. From the sidelines, the poor performance trend of the brand would carry more weight that the accomplishments of one riders bike for me.

Back on track - Wish I had the time to be in Greenville to see them ride in, and I can't wait to hear / read the next few rally reports to hear what challenges were overcome, what were the good, the bad, and the ugly decisions made out on the road.

How does second place feel, that's not a defensive comment, as Owens takes a third crown to add to his already record breaking feats, probably won't know until tomorrow morning who won this rally unless your at the banquet.

Status
Not open for further replies.