FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know that Owens won?

He certainly is an extraordinary beast in a class of his own.

How does second place feel, that's not a defensive comment, as Owens takes a third crown to add to his already record breaking feats, probably won't know until tomorrow morning who won this rally unless your at the banquet.
He's not immune - he had a transmission failure on an RT in the 05 rally that cost him the win. And he buys new bikes every few years so it's not like he's riding a older sorted bike. He's on a 2018 R1200RT this year that I believe he bought at the beginning of last year. So he rode the Mason Dixon 20/20, the Buttlite 9, and the Cognoscente rally on the same bike. Plus this years Mason Dixon 20/20 and now the IBR.

And at the beginning of next year he'll probably buy a R1250RT. He says he just LOVES the RT platform. Fits him and his riding style well.
I was just playing, don't take anything I say personal or I'll have to tell you about the top 3 finishers in 2017.

From Wednesday's update (sorry I'm behind ... work is such an interference!):

Perhaps as impressive to the staff as Eric’s [Buskell] ride, was his demeanor on the phone with Lisa when he knew his rally was over. Despite the trolls on Facebook ranting about tired riders who are a danger to themselves and others, Eric was speaking clearly and sounded alert. He was introspective and proud of the effort he made in the rally and the points he had amassed. He waxed rather eloquently about the beautiful places he rode, being a part of the IBR community, and the support from fans he has earned.

No one who hasn't tried this -- and I'm included in that bunch -- have no idea what Mr. Buskell was facing or what he had accomplished to that point.

Facebook trolls are the cockroaches of society.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks...while we wait to hear the results and stories of the 2019 IBR, now's a great time to point your browser over to Spotwalla and make a donation. Spotwalla changed the way we enjoy our rides and rallies and allows us to save the tracks indefinitely, something the SPOT corporation never did. Help Jason Jonas, developer and operator of Spotwalla, keep this wonderful tool publicly available and free.
https://www.spotwalla.com/help/index.php#donate
Done!

And, while we're talking aboot Spotwalla, here is the animation for the entire 2019 IBR.

2019 IBR Spotwlla linky.

I am not trying to start a fight.

Statistics: https://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm#manufacturers

Statisticians usually exclude small data sources, like baseball batting champs must have a minimum of 50 at-bats before being included in the comparison. Out of manufacturers that have had a minimum of ten bikes enter all Iron Butt Rallies ....

Yamaha (which includes Super Teneres) has the best Finish Percent. Yamaha's Finish Percent is 87.3%

Triumph actually has the second best Finish Percent. (Isn't that a shocker?) Of the 25 Triumph bikes to start an IBR, 80% have finished. Honda is #3 (79.2%); Suzuki is next (22 finishers out of 29 entrants for 75.9%), and BMW comes in fifth for Finish Percent , with 75.0%

NOTE: Does not include 2019, and I have no idea how they score someone who starts on a BMW and switches to an FJR mid-rally.

Again, I am not trying to start a fight.

Statisticians usually exclude small data sources, like baseball batting champs must have a minimum of 50 at-bats before being included in the comparison. Out of manufacturers that have had a minimum of ten bikes enter the Iron Butt rally ....

Yamaha (which includes Super Teneres) has the best Finish Percent. Yamaha's Finish Percent is 87.3%

Triumph actually has the second best Finish Percent. (Isn't that a shocker?) 80% have finished.

Honda is #3 (79.2%); Suzuki is next (22 finishers out of 29 entrants for 75.9%), and BMW comes in fifth for Finish Percent , with 75.0%

NOTE: Does not include 2019, and I have no idea how they score someone who starts on a BMW and switches top an FJR mid-rally.

Does that include the bikes the finish but don't start the Rally?

This years IBR coverage was outstanding.

A huge thanks to those veteran IBRs who have contributed to this years rally on this forum.

An enormous shout out to all the IBR riders; what an epic ride you all accomplished regardless of where it finished.

I now patiently waiting for the results and full rally packet.

Can someone Stream the banquet tonight (YouTube, Instagram or Facebook) so we can watch it? That would be the next step in IBR coverage.

I think the saddest parts about the rally being over besides the disappointment of those riders who had to withdraw or DNF due to circumstances beyond their control is that now my employers will once again expect me to be productive at work.
uhoh.gif

Rich posted: Does that include the bikes the finish but don't start the Rally?
As stated above ...

NOTE: Does not include 2019, and I have no idea how they score someone who starts on a BMW and switches to an FJR mid-rally.

Rich posted: Does that include the bikes the finish but don't start the Rally?
As stated above ...

NOTE: Does not include 2019, and I have no idea how they score someone who starts on a BMW and switches (UPGRADES) to an FJR mid-rally.
I had to phrase that correctly for you

<Can someone Stream the banquet tonight (YouTube, Instagram or Facebook) so we can watch it? That would be the next step in IBR coverage.>

Dana, that would be really cool to see. Ira Agins said hed stream a little of it on periscope, announcing of the top 10.

Statisticians usually exclude small data sources, like baseball batting champs must have a minimum of 50 at-bats before being included in the comparison. Out of manufacturers that have had a minimum of ten bikes enter all Iron Butt Rallies ....

Triumph actually has the second best Finish Percent. (Isn't that a shocker?) Of the 25 Triumph bikes to start an IBR, 80% have finished. Honda is #3 (79.2%); Suzuki is next (22 finishers out of 29 entrants for 75.9%), and BMW comes in fifth for Finish Percent , with 75.0%

Also not trying to start any fights:

Thanks for digging out the numbers, but did you omit the Harley contingent on purpose? I will confess that I was surprised by the number of entrants on Harley this year, due to my own perception (perhaps unfounded) on their systemic (lack of) reliability.

I have a built-in bias against HD, but would be curious if the reliability stats would point to them being as bad as I would expect or perhaps actually better. And I should also admit that I'm too lazy to go through the records myself....

DNFs are not necessarily machine failures.

More people riding a certain brand means more chances for a deer strike, get off or missing the cut off time.

Writing this Friday at 5pm EST. Finishers and standings to be revealed at the Banquet in a few hours.

Just want to congratulate everyone who participated this year. Good to here that everyone is back safe and sound!

- Colin

According to the IBR Rules, the Rider's score is reduced by 50 percent. Here's the exact quote:

(3) Replacement of motorcycle: The final score of a rider who fails to ride the entire rally on the motorcycle with which he or she began the event will be reduced by one-half.

Link: https://ibr.wvi.com/ibr/2019/IBR2019Rules.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.