Fluctuating RPMs after PCIII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renink

Reaction score
I installed my PCIII last week and the bike feels a lot smoother. I do notice that sometimes when I am at a light my rpms drop below 1000 and go around 500-800rpm. I did reset the TPS throught the software but don't know what could be wrong. I tried a search for low rpm and PCIII but didn't find anything. Is this something quick to fix?

I don't see the PC affecting idle speeds-it's not on line till the r's climb past 1200-1500 or so, depending on the map. Be sure that you set the throtlle position carefully via the PCIII software, read through the instructions carefully as it's easy to screw it up and if wrong can raise hell with the mapping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, does it do it once it's warmed up.

My rpm's bounce around a lot until the bike is warmed up. Once at 2 bars (on an 04) I don't notice nearly as much fluctuation in idle.

You might just be paying more attention to it since you installed the PCIII.

My rpm's bounce around a lot until the bike is warmed up. Once at 2 bars (on an 04) I don't notice nearly as much fluctuation in idle.

I noticed when I first installed the tps and turned on the bike. The RPMS were showing up on the computer around 800rpm. I Blipped the throttle from none to full really fast a couple of times and reset the tps and thought nothing else about it. A couple of days later I was at a stop light about 8 blocks from my house and heard the bike running low so I looked at the speedo and saw the rpms around 500. THought maybe it needed to warm up a little more and got on the highway. By the time I got to my office I didn't notice it any more. Happened again a few days ago but it was after about 25minutes of riding. That is why I posted here.

Can someone correct me if I am reseting the TPS wrong. Here is what I did.

- Start up the bike with PCIII connected to laptop running the software.

- Launched the reset TPS option.

- Blipped the throttle to full and realeased immediately to let it snap back (3 times)

- Clicked reset TPS and repeated the above again. Hit okay and closed the application and shut down

By the way I have the custom map that someone created where it has Wally's smooth map on the bottom and the 01 map from PC on the rest.

From what it sounds like, I think you just need to adjust your idle speed first.

Let the bike warm up.

clicky

Plug the power commander in, start the bike again, and use that to determine your idle RPM

Once you get the idle speed to be predictable (it will always fluctuate a little, give or take 100 rpms) I like mine to run between 1000-1100.

Now reset the TPS again,

it's number 10 on the dowload list.

I think you only blip the throttle once, then see if it set correctly.

clicky

That's what I would do and see what happens.

I noticed when I first installed the tps and turned on the bike. The RPMS were showing up on the computer around 800rpm. I Blipped the throttle from none to full really fast a couple of times and reset the tps and thought nothing else about it. A couple of days later I was at a stop light about 8 blocks from my house and heard the bike running low so I looked at the speedo and saw the rpms around 500. THought maybe it needed to warm up a little more and got on the highway. By the time I got to my office I didn't notice it any more. Happened again a few days ago but it was after about 25minutes of riding. That is why I posted here.

Can someone correct me if I am reseting the TPS wrong. Here is what I did.

- Start up the bike with PCIII connected to laptop running the software.

- Launched the reset TPS option.

- Blipped the throttle to full and realeased immediately to let it snap back (3 times)

- Clicked reset TPS and repeated the above again. Hit okay and closed the application and shut down

By the way I have the custom map that someone created where it has Wally's smooth map on the bottom and the 01 map from PC on the rest.
I don't think that you are supposed to set/check the TPS with the bike running.

Somebody asked the question should the engine be running when you set the throttle position to zero by opening the throttle to full and back to zero .

Whats the answer ? :dribble:

You didn't mention whether or not you'd disconnected the O2 sensor. Could be the culprit if it's still connected!