Fly and Ride 17 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daily Ditty March 10, 2020.

Today I played tourist at the Johnson Space Center near Houston Texas. I spent about 8 hours here and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was 13 years old when men landing on the Moon in 1969 so I remember the excitement of the space program. And as I worked in aerospace for 38 years I appreciate the technical and engineering excellence of the space program.

The entrance to Rocket Park.

6Hfp81F.jpg

This J2 engine powered the second stage of the Saturn V rocket.

TD1KYKT.jpg

Here is the technical summary.

IZrNXQX.jpg

Main booster engine for the Saturn V. There was 5 of these on each rocket.

r7qdWCE.jpg

Here are the specs:

nyBSBmZ.jpg

This is one of three remaining Saturn V rockets. It was restored and now resides in a very large climate controlled room.

Qjp76at.jpg

After looking at the size of the command module used during the Apollo mission I found this amusing.

tKcABz4.jpg

Astronauts have a different point of view of the planet earth after having spent time in space.

i3lAHcn.jpg

The first stage engines.

EZ6cRNZ.jpg

The second sage:

2qJ1KQI.jpg

The third stage:

eRwmK83.jpg

The beginning of a phrase that lives to this day:

LE277IZ.jpg

The rocket is huge. This is an impressive display.

gD3pMSt.jpg

The exterior of the rocket was restored but these circuit card buckets need just a wee bit of work!

JutviFz.jpg

Qg8xsrn.jpg

The Mercury capsule. David Bowie was right, "sitting in my tin can"

rKfLFQ3.jpg

The Lunar Command Module seats just three abreast with not much room for anything else. Good grief.

5LP7Tsm.jpg

This was not at the Johnson Space Center.

gTfOK2q.jpg

This was in the Thai restaurant I ate at tonight.

To be continued.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, Fontanaman said:
Anybody got opinions on the Yamaha top case?
I had the Yamaha case on my 2003. Loved the matching key, super sturdy construction too ... 'cause it has a double wall and shrinks the inside to only hold 1 helmet and little else. 

Now I have the Givi 55 and easily holds 2 helmets plus even more!  2nd key and butt ugly black but I never have to look at it.  The latch won't stay open with the slightest breeze. 

I love those 'backroads ' of TX!  They remind me of the Alphabet roads in WI ... no lines what so ever!  We say they just paved over all the goat trails to reduce maintenance, and bingo !!! 

Biker roads are great ... as long as no-one comes at you going 'over the line'.            YMMV           😉

The daily ditty.

March 11, 2020

I road from the Johnson Space Center to Hppants house. Like nearly every day on this trip this one had an unplanned event as well.

The day started out well enough. I took the coast route. It was a foggy morning.

iD9pCXt.jpg

XiHZpra.jpg

Gee there is a quip here somewhere but I am tired tonight. Pile on!

uWVMAOg.jpg

kMgrVj0.jpg

Houston, we have a problem.

MZbVQLV.jpg

Two and half hours into the ride the Yamaha tail bag is gone. I must have not latched it properly. Must of confused it with the Givi box which latches securely just be pushing it into place. After quickly recovering from the initial shock I did an quick mental inventory. I lost a pair of tennis shoes, smoke visor for helmet, 1/2 cover for the bike and Rev'it winter gloves, not to mention the box. Now I don't have a decision to make which top box I will use in the future.
icon_e_smile.gif
Anyway it could have been a lot worse. I don't loose heated gear or difficult to replace electronics. Later in the day a Cycle Gear replaced cover and some winter gloves. I have a pair of sandels that will get me through and the visor was on it's last legs.

Anyway as Redfish noted above we had a great dinner at Hppants. It was great to meet the Redfish, Pops, Hppants, Mike and Tom. Had a splendid time. Great hospitality.

March 12, 2020

Hppants, Mike and I were going to go for a ride today. Hppants' job collided with the COVID-19 virus and those plans were scuttled at breakfast. Pants felt really low about that. Another unplanned event. Go with the flow.

I wanted to go to Barber Motorsports but the weather forecast was rubbish. Lots of rain. The forecast the way west around San Antonio was good for two days then rubbish thereafter. So I bailed and started the journey home. Good news, it was in the low 70's today with overcast skies - perfect riding conditions. Also who knows of Barber Motorsports will be open due to the virus so maybe it is time to get home. If I do I can help my wife post foot surgery.

Hppants insisted return on the same coastal route I came except go to Gavelston Island via the ferry. So I did. Here is my Spotwalla Track

This is a crawfish harvesting field. The little cones are craw fish traps.

rtTX9Sh.jpg

The beach today. I wouldn't want to be here during a high tide with a storm.

nkCCw3c.jpg

zD0B3VL.jpg

The ferry ride at Galveston. That was pretty cool. I only had to wait about 20 minutes to board. The poor soul going the other way were lined up about 1/2 mile.

5uXCfmJ.jpg

A auto ferry going the other way.

RrdqQaR.jpg

The architecture on Galveston Island is interesting. High surf goes right under the house.

um3NFbQ.jpg

On the island the first few miles where right on the beach and it was rather crowded. Hotels on the right side, beach on the left. People everywhere. Shucks Ocean Shores Washington is utterly deserted compared to this - of course it is colder there too.

Well that's it for the night. Thanks for following along.

To be continued.

Daily Ditty.

March 13, 2020

Nearly no unplanned events today, except 2 miles from the hotel there was a traffic jam for some reason so I took a 45 minute detour to get around the mess.

Today the temps were between 71 and 82 with partly cloudy skies, straight roads, good pavement and a tires full of air, meaning I check the tires this morning and they are fine.

I stopped at five Motorcycle Grand Tour Of Texas sites today and mostly avoided the Interstate although my route was mostly on divided highway and I am not complaining.

First stop was at Stephen Austin statue.

0YJrrVU.jpg

Next stop was at the Vietnam War Memorial in Hallettsville Texas.

6iYIoiy.jpg

Statue of Liberty is in Halletsville too. Who of thunk? Not a bad looking bike either. Hey Redfish you can detail my bike anytime.

ArGlcLn.jpg

The Juan Seguin Burial Site also in Hallettsville Texas.

YCl0JsR.jpg

The Bluebonnets where out in a few places today.

fBpFkDM.jpg

My favorite stop today was the world's largest Pecan in Seguin Texas.

qSyCT8p.jpg

Yesterday was a 300 mile day with 2 ferry crossing taking about 1 hour. Today was about 435 so tomorrow I will step it up a bit more to take advantage of the good weather.

To be continued.

oday I crossed a time zone so took the opportunity to make good use of the extra hour by riding about 540 miles today.

When I started this morning the humidity was 80% and the temp was about 67 degree something I don't experience very often.

Dig these layer of rock.

8AgVqli.jpg

About an hour into the ride it started to rain lightly. I got to try out my inexpensive Bilt gloves I bought in Lafayette and I was quite surprise how warm there are. Tomorrow I get to test them again as the temps will be in the lower 40's when I get rolling.

Not long after the rain quite it cleared off and the land, flatter than a pancake for the past two days, started to show some shape again. Oh the joy!

7YJmjhg.jpg

Tunfgkf.jpg

Also the prior two days was mostly gray and overcast. The blue sky was a welcome change and I love desert riding like this.

79mM6W4.jpg

ccR75nj.jpg

My last stop of the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas.

XVERfqa.jpg

Any old volcano. Not long after this there was columns of basalt rock similar to Eastern Washington.

kKipj0c.jpg

A yellow caution turn sign and blue sky along Hwy 118 near Fort Davis. Nice road.

opY6zXb.jpg

7cbMRFM.jpg

And another turn.

HdRRa1Q.jpg

After 3 days of riding I arrive in:

W9oJJVT.jpg

To be continued.

Daily Ditty a day late.

I ended up in Deming New Mexico on March 14 after a 500 mile day.

On Sunday March 15 I did it again.

This was a get down the freeway day. It is what it is. Tonight as I write this the COVID-19 capturing the national attention and hard supplies are in heavy demand from coast to coast. TP and cleaning supplies seem hardest hit. Restaurants, bars, brewpub and wineries are closed in Washington States. In Oregon restaurants can provide take out. In California bars, brewpubs and wineries are closed, except in LA County where only take out will be allowed tomorrow. It is getting worse by the day. Fear is gripping the nation. Next will motels be closed? Canada closed it's boarder today to non-Canadians. Canadians are heading back home from the SW US in mass after being told there health care coverage was no longer valid in the US.

This is not the time to be out touring on a motorcycle. So home it is and as quickly as I can with safety a priority.

Anyway here are some images from Sunday March 15th.

I have a thing for mountains. This is in New Mexico.

RnEZ1WP.jpg

UajEDRh.jpg

Hello Arizona.

pYY9YT8.jpg

It is spring in Arizona.

KjkUJTo.jpg

This photo was a mistake but it illustrates why I don't like the stock mirrors. Notice the hand grip is clearly in view. Once my hand is there I can only see to the side but not what is behind me. Grrrrr. I have FZ1 mirrors on my 09 and they will be on my 17 soon.

tbpOvU7.jpg

The yellow flowers were sure pretty.

LqocOJs.jpg

There was this odd rock formation with boulders like this over an area about 1 square mile or so. By the time I got my camera out this is all I got. Sure was an odd place compared to the surrounding area.

2qB32MO.jpg

91pvq2i.jpg

I was on Arizona 85 north when this thing passed me doing about 75 mph. The speed limit was 70 and I was doing about 68. Crazy.

bMI5Mc8.jpg

Nice looking peak.

Wdcx7IB.jpg

I landed in Blythe California and I was tired after two successive 500 mile days. The trip was begin to loose it's luster with COVID-19 getting worse by the day. Stops at museums are not advised or they are simply closed.

Rather than update this post I laid out a ride plan on a spreadsheet to get home. I balanced some fun road with 350 mile days, something I can ride successively without getting tired.

March 16, 2020

Today I rode from Blythe to near Indio California, about 1.5 hours, to visit a friend who is spending the winter in his RV in Southern California. His wife made us a great lunch and we shot the breeze for about 2 hours before I headed to Passadena and get here just in time to beat a soaking rain.

Here is my bike in the parking lot.

WPXdue0.jpg

All in all it was about 215 miles today and this was a set up to for the rest of the ride home. The storm will blow out by 9:00pm tonight and I should have a pretty nice ride tomorrow.

Today is Monday and I expect to be home on Friday afternoon.

To be continued.

Jim, I finally logged on to see where this trip is taking you and glad to hear you're doing well. I would have enjoyed riding more with you but in an isolation mode after visiting with cardiologist and getting the news on stress test. I go in the 24th for a heart catherization due to blockage. Ride safe and keep the postings coming. Eddie.

Jim, I finally logged on to see where this trip is taking you and glad to hear you're doing well. I would have enjoyed riding more with you but in an isolation mode after visiting with cardiologist and getting the news on stress test. I go in the 24th for a heart catherization due to blockage. Ride safe and keep the postings coming. Eddie.
Wishing you the best Eddie.

Daily Ditty

March 17, 2020

Today I rode 320 miles but it was a great day. Last nights weather blew through and left puffy clouds the majority of the day. I started out to to temperatures in to low 50's.

I had been thinking about this day the entire trip. I finally got off the freeway today to enjoy this:

oysZptm.jpg

The Pacific Ocean. Six days ago I was along the Gulf Of Mexico in Louisiana and Texas. I have been up Hwy 1 before and was thrilled it was a great day for riding.

MdCDKvI.jpg

Nice day for photos with a few clouds in the sky.

Cwo0KTb.jpg

The road is cut into steep cliffs so I was checking the Cal Trans app before I left this morning to make sure it was still open!

The views are spectacular as it the road. I got to lean the '17 over pretty good for the first time. The Angel GT tracked just fine.

MHuH4Ou.jpg

MW7Gfv7.jpg

Stopped at the Elephant Seal Vista Point.

0s4Rxcp.jpg

gcavNZP.jpg

wJrbzIF.jpg

It was nice to have time today to stop and see the sights along the way.

Big Creek Bridge, Big Sur.

T5qGOhF.jpg

A different view farther away.

0IALaPH.jpg

Gee did I say it was a great day?

Zi2qVCM.jpg

McWay Falls.

Ldtedrv.jpg

Calendar worthy?

nmMYx30.jpg

WiR3dx1.jpg

H3QJWmo.jpg

I landed in Monterey after a 7 hour day. It was spectacular.

To be continued.