Fly Fishing via FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikk

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking about adding fly fishing to my motorcycle touring; but don't know squat about it.

Why fly fishing, well because that seems more active than casting and watching a bobber.

Not knowing what I might need, and wanting to pack it all on the FJR or my bicycle (yes I tour on that too); I'm raising the question here.

Recommendations appreciated.

Nik

Fly fishing will be a good addition to motorcycle touring. You don't have to worry about cleaning any fish.
rolleyes.gif
There are many pack rods available from suppliers like Cabelas or Bass Pro. Get with someone that has done it to help get a setup together, something in a 5 or 6 weight rod. for trout or panfish, yet heavy enough for an occasional lunker. Good Luck.

I've combined them, and it's actually a pain in the ass (not to rain on a parade here). I live in the epicenter of flyfishing country, a nice easy ride to blue-ribbon waters in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. While the pack rod and fly gear are easy enough to use, the issue is parking the bike, changing out of riding gear into fishing gear (which here means waders as the water is frigid year-round--hence the great trout fishing).

Waders take up a LOT of space. Now you've got ALL your riding gear to secure (boots to helmet and in between). So you hike off down the river and hope someone doesn't come along and screw with your stuff.

If you don't need the waders, and can just throw on Tevas and hop in, better situation. My solution: meet up w/someone that has a boat with all your fishing shit pre-loaded. Now THAT is a fun time...

DSCF0946.jpg

Life long fly fisherman here growing up in Newfoundland. While I do love it and don't do it as often as I like, rarely has it ever made it to the bike.

I have a collapsible/telescopic 6 ft rod and spincast reel that goes with me on any ride that's over a 1/2 day. The rod packs 14in and the reel is small housing 6lb test. Spin cast fishing is still fun and I never plan to use a bobber, but depending on the fishing hole I may.

every overnight trip I take I plan to camp near trout fishing and I plan for a fresh meal.

nothing like sitting on the edge of a river, bike and hammock nearby, having a few shots of rum, and frying a few pan sized trout that I caught a few minutes earlier.

4 piece fly rods are the standard anymore. TFO makes a quality - 8'6" 4 weight (trout and panfish)and a 9' 5 weight rod (Bigger trout or bass) - at affordable prices. Pack into a short tube. The issue does exist as far as changing and dealing with two sets of gear though.

I plan to know a lot more about adding the motorcycle by the end of the summer!

And yes, this is a whole new obsession my friend! Welcome!

@ Fly Bye & juniorfjr, thanks for the encouraging words; nice to get this off to a humorous start!
smile.png

I guess when I think about fly fishing while two-wheel touring, I'm restricting myself to water that I could wade into in sandals and shorts. So is that maybe warm water fly fishing? Obviously, I've got much more research to do so if you have any links you've found helpful please do share?

I was taking a look at Cablea's Stowaway fly rod, something like 6 pieces in 8'-9' lengths.

I'm such a fly fishing noob.
uhoh.gif

I too am new to the sport. And found that all that has been said is true -- standing in cold water, setting-up and so on...

But when it came to rods and reels, it just hurt my head!!!! Everybody had a better idea (as mentioned - it's a lifestyle ). So, I looked for the simplest way to fly fish, and found an old Japanese flyfishing method called 'TENKARA' simple no reel just fun. OH! And you can still put on the fun hat with all the hooks in it -- but that won't impress the fish.

All this said, still kind of a pain off a bike.

Take care

Moto

Pacsafe is pretty cool looking! I think I would want to see one in action. Looks like a rats nest to unpack.

I generally just use a cable lock through pants, jacket, and helmets. Boots are a bit at risk unless you want to have someone punch a grommet hole through your leather.

Nick

Hey Nikki:

As you can easily tell by my moniker, riding the FJR and fly fishing are my fave hobbies!

If you are interested in learning about fly fishing, do an internet search to see if you have any local fly fishing clubs near you. That is a great way to learn about the sport by going to a few meetings. Most fly clubs have free teaching sessions for casting to show you the nuances of the casting stroke.

Fly fishing is a lot like golf (well, except 10x more fun) in that it takes time and practice to become pretty good at it. Sure, just like you can get a hole in one the first time you play golf, I know folks who have caught the fish of a lifetime their first time out, but that's the exception,,,

Search out a local club, give it a try, and see what happens!!

It is a bit cumbersome to combine both, but it surely can be done.

Keeps your drift drag-free and the chrome side (er, Tupperware) side up,

Brian the biknflyfisher

I LOVE Fly-fishing! I don't get to do enough of it here in Arizona (compared to when I lived in Colorado). I just got back from an Motorcycle - Camp - Fly-fish trip to New Mexico. Here's a couple of pics:

SanJuanFJR_zpsad1d1c1e.jpg

SanJuanFish_zpsc9a0b04c.jpg

Wow that is a big bag on the back seat, scary big! Nice catch though!

I'm definitely after the minimalist setup-up; as I plan to carry it on both my motorcycle and bicycle touring.

Thanks for sharing.

The bag is HUGE! I'm pretty sure I could fit in it. In it, though, is a tent, Therma-rest mat, sleeping bag, camp chair, packable wading boots, fly rod, fishing vest, fish landing net, camp pillow, a tarp, some para-cord, AND a mesh motorcycle Jacket and mesh pants (temps were expected to be 100+ when I arrived home).

A little war story here: So I had my fishing gear on a trip to Yellowstone a few years ago. Was riding home South of Big Sky, MT. There's a place along there where Highway 191 (super road BTW) jogs into the park, but you don't need a park pass to drive through. You do, however, need a park license to fish there.

So I pull off the road to fish the Gallatin River, b/c I have a park license, but not a MT license. It was a hot summer day, so I think "screw all the waders etc" and just hike down there in Levi's and tevas. So I'm fishing redneck style thigh-deep in my Levis and here I see Ms. Park Ranger hiking toward me, looking all kinds of pissed off. I get out of the river and she say's "i need to see your license--DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN YELLOWSTONE PARK?!" I go--let me go get it (my stuff's up the bank a ways). We walk over, i get out my wallet and hand her my 3-day permit, and yeah it's the third day. She looks it over, is obviously disappointed i'm legal, and then says, 'are your hooks barbless?' I go 'yep', i know where i'm at and i know the regs. She marches off to climb back up to her car.

and yeah, my flies did have barbs, but i thinks she felt too stupid to check at that point......
smile.png

Nikki

As I mentioned in my previous post -- check out the Japanese TENKARA system. I'm telling you, you can't get more minimalist. You can thank me later when you catch one.

Good luck

Moto